Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose - Lacking "effort"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
This team needs to figure out how to play against a team that clogs neutral zone; and generate shots on net. One off game; I wouldn't be as pissed if this was against any other team other than monteal

montreal has no fire power; they will basically play columbus/NYI style hockey; look for turnovers and then counterattack. if we throw the puck blindly in the offensive zone OR even worse defensive zone; dont think it is fair to blame the goalie.

How many odd man rushes did montreal get today compared to us? cant have that.....

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Wait you mean we’re not going to never lose a game again? Not happy with the effort, but it’s one game.

Burn the tap and move on.

Reactions: Buds17

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Habs fan checking in.

obviously the Habs were a more desperate team tonight due to our struggles. Leafs are sitting pretty comfortably and came out flat which isn’t surprising. Lucky bounce for us but the way we played in the first probably deserved the lead. Leafs looked like the leafs in the second. They are able to create pressure down low on us a lot more constant than we can. We are more of a hardworking opportunistic team and we are deadly on the rush at times. I think the downlow pressure is much more of an advantage in a series than our turn over quick rush style. Mcdavid is the best player in the league but matthews is the scariest when he’s about to shoot. Lethal player. Strong on his stick. Doesn’t lay a lot of hits but he’s not soft like a lot of fan based claim. Not even close. I did enjoy romanov roughing him up a bit tho lol. Marner is unreal as well how bout that pass tonight.

leafs were missing Nylander, Foligno, Nylander, Hutton? Did I get that right?

Habs potentials for playoffs - Gallagher, armia, chariot, Merrill, gustaffson, and Caufield.

is that enough to compete with the leafs? I’m not sure we’re hoping big time thay caufield can contribute right away.

obviously the leafs have the advantage and if I had to bet my house it would be on them. I do think tho that the Habs play style doesn’t allow them to go that hard all the time in the regular season and our lack of elite talent we can play some bad games. I do think however when push comes to shove in the playoffs we will be able to play with that intensity and tenacity that closes the gap some on the leafs. But I still think the leafs have what it takes this year to go deep. I just hope I’m wrong. Cheers everyone

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Habs fan checking in.

obviously the Habs were a more desperate team tonight due to our struggles. Leafs are sitting pretty comfortably and came out flat which isn’t surprising. Lucky bounce for us but the way we played in the first probably deserved the lead. Leafs looked like the leafs in the second. They are able to create pressure down low on us a lot more constant than we can. We are more of a hardworking opportunistic team and we are deadly on the rush at times. I think the downlow pressure is much more of an advantage in a series than our turn over quick rush style. Mcdavid is the best player in the league but matthews is the scariest when he’s about to shoot. Lethal player. Strong on his stick. Doesn’t lay a lot of hits but he’s not soft like a lot of fan based claim. Not even close. I did enjoy romanov roughing him up a bit tho lol. Marner is unreal as well how bout that pass tonight.

Habs potentials for playoffs - Gallagher, armia, chariot, Merrill, gustaffson, and Caufield.

is that enough to compete with the leafs? I’m not sure we’re hoping big time thay caufield can contribute right away.

obviously the leafs have the advantage and if I had to bet my house it would be on them. I do think tho that the Habs play style doesn’t allow them to go that hard all the time in the regular season and our lack of elite talent we can play some bad games. I do think however when push comes to shove in the playoffs we will be able to play with that intensity and tenacity that closes the gap some on the leafs. But I still think the leafs have what it takes this year to go deep. I just hope I’m wrong. Cheers everyone

All I'm gonna say is, we're coming with brooms.

Reactions: Havoc

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
The Jets lost to Ottawa (lol) so nothing of value was lost today.

They absolutely cannot play Montreal like that in the first round though. Having Foligno, Nash, Hutton, Rittich, and the others is going to help this team a lot.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Habs fan checking in.

Come back after the 3 gamer before round one.

habs.jpg

After the leafs dominate your boys, and Matty locks up the Hab named trophy, then we'll talk.

Matty.gif

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The Jets lost to Ottawa (lol) so nothing of value was lost today.

They absolutely cannot play Montreal like that in the first round though. Having Foligno, Nash, Hutton, Rittich, and the others is going to help this team a lot.

They flew in the night before to watch the masters. Probably hung over and/or bored to death which had lingering effects.

Reactions: justloveleafs

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
What's important about running the table on Montreal to finish the season is you don't want to give them a viable road map to complete with us in the playoff series. If they want to try trapping us in our own zone, you have to find a way to breakout with speed and short passes to burn them and if they want to be physical against our stars things have to get nasty for them. You can't empower them to play the way they want to and feed that confidence. Leafs have to want to crush them next time we play.

Definitely, but if the leafs want to go far, they need to learn to play the right way all the time, not just sometimes. Im also not as high on the leafs as their record indicates. There has been many times this year you could say, the leafs were not the best team and still won. People hear that and say, doesn’t that speak volumes about the leafs that they can still win even when they don’t play well? I take a different view. I see a team that has game breakers that can often score above their mistakes against mediocre teams but trust me, good teams will make them pay and the leafs won’t be able to score out of their problems. Columbus was a great example last year and if they don’t wake up, its going to be a team like the habs that will devastate them.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This team needs to figure out how to play against a team that clogs neutral zone; and generate shots on net. One off game; I wouldn't be as pissed if this was against any other team other than monteal

montreal has no fire power; they will basically play columbus/NYI style hockey; look for turnovers and then counterattack. if we throw the puck blindly in the offensive zone OR even worse defensive zone; dont think it is fair to blame the goalie.

How many odd man rushes did montreal get today compared to us? cant have that.....

The recipe for beating that kind of defense is usually funnelling the puck and bodies into an area with speed and support, chip and chase and heavy forecheck. We actually have the personnel to do this but I don’t know if that goes against the game plan. You’ll notice guys like Bogosian and Simmonds have really lightened their hitting.

NK94

Feb 5, 2019
They flew in the night before to watch the masters. Probably hung over and/or bored to death which had lingering effects.
Still not much of a reason to lose a very winnable game seeing as Montreal blew a 2-0 lead, though.

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Ah well. We were bound for a stinker at some point here. No problem, it happens over the course of a year. Time to regroup and be ready for tomorrow! Glg!

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
Come back after the 3 gamer before round one.

View attachment 421619

After the leafs dominate your boys, and Matty locks up the Hab named trophy, then we'll talk.

I respect your opinion. They very well could smash them. However I’m sure you thought you were going to dominate round 0 last year. I just hope to god those last 3 games don’t mean nothing for the standings. We’re gonna hit everything that moves and we will see how much fun your boys have. Cheers mate.
View attachment 421620

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad