Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose - Lacking "effort"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We lost a close game to a decent team. Coming into this game we’d won 6 straight, and were 9-0-1 in our last 10. Let’s not overreact, even very good teams lose a decent number of games - e.g. Tampa losing 5-1 to Detroit a week ago.

We did come out flat, they outplayed us handily in the first half. We picked it up a fair bit in the 2nd half though, other than a few sloppy moments. Overall it was a weak game by the Leafs, but we were still in it, it wasn’t that bad.

No biggie, just win tomorrow.

Last edited:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
HELLO...HELloo...Hellooo...helloooo...
The echo chamber effect here is wonderful.
I'm angrier than you are, no your not, I'm angrier.

The number of people here bitching on Joe Thornton, JUMBO, calling him a bum, WTF!!! One of the best players of this century, a future HOFer, 6th all time in assists, comes here , with strong desire to do anything to help the team, to help them win a Cup, to...and you rubes have the ignorance to call him a waste of space. SHOW THE MAN SOME RESPECT! He's earned it!

Bitching and moaning about how we never get good things, Jesus H. Christ, Joe Thornton is a good thing, a good man, a legend in this game and you keyboard warriors dump on him? You're the reason we don't deserve good things. You bandwagon jumpers!

Winning teams aren't just built on skill up and down the line-up, or on physicality, they're built on loyalty, camaraderie, brotherhood, the desire to fight for one another when they're down. The undying belief that they can and they will, and Joe f***ing Thornton has been a large part of helping this team develop that understanding of itself.

Do you honestly believe that Joe isn't aware of his dwindling effectiveness, that he's not busting his butt trying to fight Father Time? Could it be that Keefe and the team are giving Joe the chance to work out whatever it is that is holding him back because this man has earned that right?

Joe Thornton started out in the NHL during the 97/98 season and earned 925,000 dollars. 24 years later, after a storied career, having represented his country in World Cups and Olympic Games, having fought through 15 years of playoff hockey, having earned more than I can count, he came to the Leaf organization and said pay me the minimum, I want a Cup. And there are fans on this board who spit on him.

There are times when I thoroughly hate this place, it's venomous.

SHOW SOME RESPECT, DAMN IT! HE'S EARNED IT!

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
This team is exhausted. Played 11 games in 18 days. They are a step slower, passes are not as crisp, plays not as sharp. The team is playing at less than 100%.

Tomorrow and Thursday will be difficult. I hope they pull off a win against the Jets.

I also hope the Saturday game gets postponed, that will give us a three day break.

Reactions: Guy Boucher

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010

The number of people here bitching on Joe Thornton, JUMBO, calling him a bum, WTF!!! One of the best players of this century, a future HOFer, 6th all time in assists, comes here , with strong desire to do anything to help the team, to help them win a Cup, to...and you rubes have the ignorance to call him a waste of space. SHOW THE MAN SOME RESPECT! He's earned it!

Bitching and moaning about how we never get good things, Jesus H. Christ, Joe Thornton is a good thing, a good man, a legend in this game and you keyboard warriors dump on him? You're the reason we don't deserve good things. You bandwagon jumpers!

Winning teams aren't just built on skill up and down the line-up, or on physicality, they're built on loyalty, camaraderie, brotherhood, the desire to fight for one another when they're down. The undying belief that they can and they will, and Joe f***ing Thornton has been a large part of helping this team develop that understanding of itself.

Do you honestly believe that Joe isn't aware of his dwindling effectiveness, that he's not busting his butt trying to fight Father Time? Could it be that Keefe and the team are giving Joe the chance to work out whatever it is that is holding him back because this man has earned that right?

Joe Thornton started out in the NHL during the 97/98 season and earned 925,000 dollars. 24 years later, after a storied career, having represented his country in World Cups and Olympic Games, having fought through 15 years of playoff hockey, having earned more than I can count, he came to the Leaf organization and said pay me the minimum, I want a Cup. And there are fans on this board who spit on him.

You’re not wrong

2 Slick

Oct 23, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Jack's gotta take it a little bit easier on himself. Can't be too high or too low when it comes to a standard NHL loss after an 11 game winning streak.

You can tell Jack Campbell is that type of person to be apologetic and always thinking of others feelings before his own. Great personality and great character guy, but he doesn't need to knock himself after every average game he has publicly. He said the same thing against Ottawa on Saturday night as well. It's good to take ownership, but he needs to be even keel. Humble, yet not overly self congratulatory or self annihilation.

He is who he is though, so who am I to say? Love him either way.

Reactions: Westlander

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This team is exhausted. Played 11 games in 18 days. They are a step slower, passes are not as crisp, plays not as sharp. The team is playing at less than 100%.

Tomorrow and Thursday will be difficult. I hope they pull off a win against the Jets.

I also hope the Saturday game gets postponed, that will give us a three day break.
None of these games are critical, I'd just as soon get them done and have the off days closer to the playoffs. I'd be resting some guys and playing some of the younger guys more to see what they got.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

It's possible to respect what he's accomplished in his career and also see that he's been really bad lately.

Reactions: Anthrax442

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005

The good thing is every team will be exhausted
I don't feel so bad when I see the stinky goals ob the Winnipeg loss or the red wings sweeping the hurricanes
But I find Justin holl looks tired
I find Morgan Reilly maybe be play with a bad hand
Doesn't look like he can take pass right

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Team needs rest. I expected a loss tonight. Time to get Rittich in and give Campbell 2-3 games off. I know we want a win against the Jets, but we should get fresh legs on the ice.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I ordered the Jumbo at the local steakhouse

Beyond well done

o.jpg

That pic is a travesty to steak eaters everywhere, the chef should be fired for cooking it that way and the patron should be kicked out of the restaurant for ordering it that way... :cry:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It’s their first regulation loss in like 10 games.. it’ll be all good.

The PP needs to sort it’s shit out fast though. They look like they’re being overcoached.

AM, MM,WN,JT are all such elite goal scorers, let them take over and just wing it.

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
It was a bad game. They seemed disinterested at times. But the good news is this is a 24hr turnaround. Play Calgary, break Calgary forget the habs loss and move on .

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Cue up Bob Seger's Turn The Page. One loss in ten. Get over it. hope they enjoyed the Masters.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It takes time for a team to rebound when they lose their emotional heart. The post Barabanov era will be challenging.

Reactions: blueberrie

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Yeah, who needs Nylander when they can just have Mikheyev and his cement hands in the top 6 and keep giving a 41 year old Thornton 13-15 minutes a game instead?

You’re an idiot if you actually want Campbell to fail lol. He’s going to have to suck for quite some time to reach Andersen’s .897 SV%.

Don’t want Campbell to fail, but there is a big difference between being a starter and playing every 5th or 6th game. All these fans that ragged on Freddy may yet see what Campbell is truly made of. Andersen was not good, maybe the injury had something to do with that, but the grass isn’t always greener.

Reactions: hullsy47

justloveleafs

Mar 12, 2021
Paris Ontario
Definitely, but if the leafs want to go far, they need to learn to play the right way all the time, not just sometimes. Im also not as high on the leafs as their record indicates. There has been many times this year you could say, the leafs were not the best team and still won. People hear that and say, doesn’t that speak volumes about the leafs that they can still win even when they don’t play well? I take a different view. I see a team that has game breakers that can often score above their mistakes against mediocre teams but trust me, good teams will make them pay and the leafs won’t be able to score out of their problems. Columbus was a great example last year and if they don’t wake up, its going to be a team like the habs that will devastate them.

Hey brother, can you paragraph that into three next time. Its hard on the eyes man. Respect...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad