Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose - Lacking "effort"

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Got what we deserved. We were due for a stinker.

On to the next one.
Even this stinker was a close game, with any luck they could have won or at least gotten a point. It's ok because Winnipeg lost too so the Leafs didn't lose any ground.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I've been saying for some time now that as long as our goaltending is a big question mark (which it obviously is), spending futures on rentals is completely pointless. Now I'm giving Dubas credit for being smart enough to understand this so I can only assume that he's confident that Campbell can do the job. At the same time, how confident can you possibly be in a guy with so little experience?

Huge gamble for Dubas. Obviously we're all hoping the gamble pays off, we were favoured to get out of our division anyway so if these moves help us get to the final, I don't think anyone will be complaining. If however our goaltending lets us down and we fall in the 1st or 2nd round after spending all these futures, then Dubas will have a lot to answer for.

You gotta gamble some time though. Gotta put things in perspective a little bit

- Tavares not getting any younger (11AAV)
- Hyman pending UFA (will require raise in a flat cap)
- Rielly and Holl contract up in 2 years' time
- Matthew/Marner/Nylander have played the best they ever have this season IMO
- Cap isn't going to go up anytime soon; this is perhaps the best roster we can assemble given cap constraints now and in immediate future (before we gotta re-sign our ELCs)

Is it a gamble? Yes for sure. But sometimes you gotta take that risk and see what happens.

Blues won with a no name Binnington in net; but big boys there played good hockey i.e. no fancy and cute plays; attention to detail and defensively sound. Even when caps won under Trotz that is how Caps played too.

Leafs need to learn to play the game well and stop with the blind passes and cute plays and moronic turnovers and I think they will be fine.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You gotta gamble some time though. Gotta put things in perspective a little bit

- Tavares not getting any younger (11AAV)
- Hyman pending UFA (will require raise in a flat cap)
- Rielly and Holl contract up in 2 years' time
- Matthew/Marner/Nylander have played the best they ever have this season IMO
- Cap isn't going to go up anytime soon; this is perhaps the best roster we can assemble given cap constraints now and in immediate future (before we gotta re-sign our ELCs)

Is it a gamble? Yes for sure. But sometimes you gotta take that risk and see what happens.

Blues won with a no name Binnington in net; but big boys there played good hockey i.e. no fancy and cute plays; attention to detail and defensively sound. Even when caps won under Trotz that is how Caps played too.

Leafs need to learn to play the game well and stop with the blind passes and cute plays and moronic turnovers and I think they will be fine.

Yeah you're probably right, it's not a bad gamble. I'm not worried so much about the cap and the roster etc., it's more that we haven't won a playoff round in so long, it's worth something to get that monkey off our backs so even if we just win one round, maybe that is worth paying for? Hard to say but I'm OK with it I guess.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Team was really let down by Muzzy, Brodie and Rielly

These 3 guys should be our leaders every night ..

Muzz common man please when Gally and JT are nowhere to be found like on 1st goal against then high and hard off glass or your patented flip play .. brutal brutal rookie giveaway

Brodie common man you know better than to shoot a puck into shin pads man common man ... rookie mistake and cost us a goal

Rielly man better thank Soupy for savign ur *ss at 12 minute mark of 2nd period man on that breakaway you decided to give Habs ... common man why did you slide over and give up centre ice???? why are u hanging back so far man? are you even a defender? common man make play on blue line like a normal defender man ..

First game in forever where are defense looked like Swiss cheese ... soft and smelly

OK games by Bogo and Dermy though not that it means much ... Holl I did not even notice

But sometimes excitement of new trade additions can throw off your game plan and we looked not ready to compete all night long ...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
therealkoho said:
THE GOOD: not reallyRielly[b/]

THE BAD: nope really bad, piss poor effort by everyone not named Tavares, Hyman was off and Mik needs those two going to do his thing and way too too much Joe

THE UGLY: Joey Joey Joey, You've had such a great career don't let this be what folks remember, you gotta hang up the gloves champ, it's over, bad back LTIR is the solution
[/S]​

Fixed.

wtf?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
HELLO...HELloo...Hellooo...helloooo...
The echo chamber effect here is wonderful.
I'm angrier than you are, no your not, I'm angrier.

The number of people here bitching on Joe Thornton, JUMBO, calling him a bum, WTF!!! One of the best players of this century, a future HOFer, 6th all time in assists, comes here , with strong desire to do anything to help the team, to help them win a Cup, to...and you rubes have the ignorance to call him a waste of space. SHOW THE MAN SOME RESPECT! He's earned it!

Bitching and moaning about how we never get good things, Jesus H. Christ, Joe Thornton is a good thing, a good man, a legend in this game and you keyboard warriors dump on him? You're the reason we don't deserve good things. You bandwagon jumpers!

Winning teams aren't just built on skill up and down the line-up, or on physicality, they're built on loyalty, camaraderie, brotherhood, the desire to fight for one another when they're down. The undying belief that they can and they will, and Joe f***ing Thornton has been a large part of helping this team develop that understanding of itself.

Do you honestly believe that Joe isn't aware of his dwindling effectiveness, that he's not busting his butt trying to fight Father Time? Could it be that Keefe and the team are giving Joe the chance to work out whatever it is that is holding him back because this man has earned that right?

Joe Thornton started out in the NHL during the 97/98 season and earned 925,000 dollars. 24 years later, after a storied career, having represented his country in World Cups and Olympic Games, having fought through 15 years of playoff hockey, having earned more than I can count, he came to the Leaf organization and said pay me the minimum, I want a Cup. And there are fans on this board who spit on him.

There are times when I thoroughly hate this place, it's venomous.

SHOW SOME RESPECT, DAMN IT! HE'S EARNED IT!

As I've said, he has earned and received respect, but his play recently has said quite loudly that his days in the NHL are over

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
HELLO...HELloo...Hellooo...helloooo...
The echo chamber effect here is wonderful.
I'm angrier than you are, no your not, I'm angrier.

The number of people here bitching on Joe Thornton, JUMBO, calling him a bum, WTF!!! One of the best players of this century, a future HOFer, 6th all time in assists, comes here , with strong desire to do anything to help the team, to help them win a Cup, to...and you rubes have the ignorance to call him a waste of space. SHOW THE MAN SOME RESPECT! He's earned it!

Bitching and moaning about how we never get good things, Jesus H. Christ, Joe Thornton is a good thing, a good man, a legend in this game and you keyboard warriors dump on him? You're the reason we don't deserve good things. You bandwagon jumpers!

Winning teams aren't just built on skill up and down the line-up, or on physicality, they're built on loyalty, camaraderie, brotherhood, the desire to fight for one another when they're down. The undying belief that they can and they will, and Joe f***ing Thornton has been a large part of helping this team develop that understanding of itself.

Do you honestly believe that Joe isn't aware of his dwindling effectiveness, that he's not busting his butt trying to fight Father Time? Could it be that Keefe and the team are giving Joe the chance to work out whatever it is that is holding him back because this man has earned that right?

Joe Thornton started out in the NHL during the 97/98 season and earned 925,000 dollars. 24 years later, after a storied career, having represented his country in World Cups and Olympic Games, having fought through 15 years of playoff hockey, having earned more than I can count, he came to the Leaf organization and said pay me the minimum, I want a Cup. And there are fans on this board who spit on him.

There are times when I thoroughly hate this place, it's venomous.

SHOW SOME RESPECT, DAMN IT! HE'S EARNED IT!

I agree with you. There is a proper decorum that can be shown in critiquing his play without disrespecting him.

Reminds me of an encounter I had with one of my nieces a few days ago, a niece whom I have helped out several times and was there to support after everyone else abandoned her, who jumped all over me because I poorly worded a reply to her on the FB. She then proceeded to disrespect me and lecture me even though I immediately apologized and flat out stated my post didn't come out the way I wanted it to. But she just kept on with it to the point where I'm questioning if I ever want to communicate with her ever again.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Team is tired, it is what it is. The amount of games teams are playing this year is insanity. I just want to see enough wins to lock up first and rest the whole damn team until the playoffs lol

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I agree with you. There is a proper decorum that can be shown in critiquing his play without disrespecting him.

Reminds me of an encounter I had with one of my nieces a few days ago, a niece whom I have helped out several times and was there to support after everyone else abandoned her, who jumped all over me because I poorly worded a reply to her on the FB. She then proceeded to disrespect me and lecture me even though I immediately apologized and flat out stated my post didn't come out the way I wanted it to. But she just kept on with it to the point where I'm questioning if I ever want to communicate with her ever again.

as a species we still rely heavily on facial cues and the expressiveness that modulation allows to properly convey both overt and subtle meaning in what are trying to communicate to one another.

typing words and phrases over the internet allows for none of those subtleties, I've given up trying to discuss serious issues by typing, it's face to face or a phone call only now

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
There was one play in the end of the 2nd right before the whistle (or it might have been the end of the 1st) where Holl was skating so slow it looked like he was walking on sand and he got beat by a Mtl player in his own zone.

I still think the top 4 is the weakness, they'll get exposed by a better team and the other issue is there is no good proper point man on defence who can play the PP. Maybe Lehtonen could've if they'd let him adjust but they keep trying to make Travis Dermott a thing....he's not a thing. He doesn't contribute offensively and he's average at best defensively.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
as a species we still rely heavily on facial cues and the expressiveness that modulation allows to properly convey both overt and subtle meaning in what are trying to communicate to one another.

typing words and phrases over the internet allows for none of those subtleties, I've given up trying to discuss serious issues by typing, it's face to face or a phone call only now

Exactly. Context can get lost in the written word. How we react to things in life is often the most telling component of one's character.

Reactions: therealkoho

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Perfectly said .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad