Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There should be no questioning Mike. He called it like he saw it. He didnt say William stunk, or played ok. He simply said he hustled after a turn over..hes right. Hes brought us 2 straight playoff yrs. Remember 2 yrs ago where we were and fast fwd to today. Total team effort by coaches and players. 94pts last yr maybe 100 this yr..id say he knows what hes doing no?
For the record the had 95 points last year and if they never went 1-8 in the shootout, they would have got at least 100 points or more.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
For the record the had 95 points last year and if they never went 1-8 in the shootout, they would have got at least 100 points or more.

The shootout is bs first off.
Last year we werent as good in it for 2 reasons. The first is Andersen wasnt as solid. The second is our shootout guys were all rookies. This yr Andys top notch in all situations and our young guys have learnt. The point is Babcock is the only triple gold coach for a reason. He has been a monster part in our success..give me a better coach in this league with the amount of young talent doing what we are? Toddy boy is a great coach yet with all those talented guys they arent even close to us. Some of that is the GMs fault in the Hall trade which was a massive mistake, and Talbot..who is good but not Andersen good. Point is Babcock is world class. He we was bang on with that Nylander goal. So whats wrong with honesty. That Randy vs Reimer comment is nowhere near the same. In that case Reimer stood on his head with no help and Randy made a dumb comment. This time Mike just said he hustled because he turned it over...is he wrong? No hes not..thats what happened. Stating what happened isnt being harsh on william. Plus william does need to learn how to be better in that respect if he wants to be a full time center. He did it last night turned it over to Erne for a 3-2 lead Tampa. Nylanders great..but is he young and learning? Yes he is. So I dont get why ppl are on Babcock hes done nothing but win since he came here.

Again Ill ask this...is there any coach youd rather have now? For me its a huge NO!

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Bobcock is ridiculous. Praises Zaitsev, praises Polak, praises Hyman, but he just has to talk down Nylander. Can we trade Babcock for Cooper? Drouin wishes he was Nylander and yet Cooper gave the guy confidence, even saying that he trusts him after the fiasco. Nylander skates hard, makes a top 3 play of the game playing with plugs and Babcock can only focus on a phantom give away....

Man Babcock pisses me off sometimes.

I think he praises the role players because there is not much room for growth with those guys.

I expect Babcock to be a bit harder on Rielly Marner Nylander Matthews Dermott Liljegren Kadri and Andersen as they will be here long after those others are. They are the next group of leaders. He needs to get the most out of them.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The shootout is bs first off.
Last year we werent as good in it for 2 reasons. The first is Andersen wasnt as solid. The second is our shootout guys were all rookies. This yr Andys top notch in all situations and our young guys have learnt. The point is Babcock is the only triple gold coach for a reason. He has been a monster part in our success..give me a better coach in this league with the amount of young talent doing what we are? Toddy boy is a great coach yet with all those talented guys they arent even close to us. Some of that is the GMs fault in the Hall trade which was a massive mistake, and Talbot..who is good but not Andersen good. Point is Babcock is world class. He we was bang on with that Nylander goal. So whats wrong with honesty. That Randy vs Reimer comment is nowhere near the same. In that case Reimer stood on his head with no help and Randy made a dumb comment. This time Mike just said he hustled because he turned it over...is he wrong? No hes not..thats what happened. Stating what happened isnt being harsh on william. Plus william does need to learn how to be better in that respect if he wants to be a full time center. He did it last night turned it over to Erne for a 3-2 lead Tampa. Nylanders great..but is he young and learning? Yes he is. So I dont get why ppl are on Babcock hes done nothing but win since he came here.

Again Ill ask this...is there any coach youd rather have now? For me its a huge NO!
I was actually defending Babcock earlier and didn't have a problem with what he said.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I was actually defending Babcock earlier and didn't have a problem with what he said.
Oh well then...my bad haha.

People here need to think before they criticise though. Ask yourself whos a better coach for us. The answer should be no one. Even in Detroit he had all those rookies they made the playoffs. 2 yrs under Blashill a narrow miss and this yr a big miss. Is Babcock perfect no. Hes learning too, each player and team are different. I think hes done real well.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
Been thinking this for a while now, but Zaitsev is crap, I don't like him at all. He literally looks like a faster Polak out there, the way he wires the puck at guys when he could be making simple passes is really concerning. The pinch on the OT goal tonight was so brutal its like where are you going? That's Kadri's man and he just flies up there, idk I thought he has looked awful all season, low key the worst Leaf by a mile other than the obvious one in Polak

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Oh well then...my bad haha.

People here need to think before they criticise though. Ask yourself whos a better coach for us. The answer should be no one. Even in Detroit he had all those rookies they made the playoffs. 2 yrs under Blashill a narrow miss and this yr a big miss. Is Babcock perfect no. Hes learning too, each player and team are different. I think hes done real well.
Obviously the answer is Babcock because why did Shanahan go so hard to hire him. I even remember after the 2013-2014 season had ended there was a report that Shanahan wanted to hire Babcock at that time, however the Red Wings wouldn't let him out his contract.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Been thinking this for a while now, but Zaitsev is crap, I don't like him at all. He literally looks like a faster Polak out there, the way he wires the puck at guys when he could be making simple passes is really concerning. The pinch on the OT goal tonight was so brutal its like where are you going? That's Kadri's man and he just flies up there, idk I thought he has looked awful all season, low key the worst Leaf by a mile other than the obvious one in Polak

He started the season fine Jake was bad the Zaitsev followed. Tbh I think hes foot isnt 100% We saw this with Reilly last playoffs. Came back from 2 foot injuries and wasnt the same. Hopefully a month is enough for Zaitsev to come back to form.

Reactions: Lauro

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Obviously the answer is Babcock because why did Shanahan go so hard to hire him. I even remember after the 2013-2014 season had ended there was a report that Shanahan wanted to hire Babcock at that time, however the Red Wings wouldn't let him out his contract.

It should be obvious. Yet people complain for nothing. Cant we enjoy winning for once. Ya we lost tonight. Cant win them all, we couldve been worse but couldve been better. Thats all

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
He started the season fine Jake was bad the Zaitsev followed. Tbh I think hes foot isnt 100% We saw this with Reilly last playoffs. Came back from 2 foot injuries and wasnt the same. Hopefully a month is enough for Zaitsev to come back to form.

Pretty much this. He's sinking Gardiner's pairing now, but Gardiner was sinking his pairing early on in the year just as much.

His skating looks off though, and he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the game since he's come back. I'll reserve judgement on him and see how he plays closer to the end of the year. We have a luxury where the expectations on Zaitsev shouldn't be through the roof right now, he's a 26 year old sophomore coming off a broken foot.

Reactions: Lauro and jrgtml67

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It should be obvious. Yet people complain for nothing. Cant we enjoy winning for once. Ya we lost tonight. Cant win them all, we couldve been worse but couldve been better. Thats all
I won't get on people who complain after a loss because we all want to see the Leafs win. I will say look back at Randy Carlyle and Ron Wilson. Do we really want to go back to when they were the previous coaches before Babcock, hell no.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Pretty much this. He's sinking Gardiner's pairing now, but Gardiner was sinking his pairing early on in the year just as much.

His skating looks off though, and he hasn't adjusted to the pace of the game since he's come back. I'll reserve judgement on him and see how he plays closer to the end of the year. We have a luxury where the expectations on Zaitsev shouldn't be through the roof right now, he's a 26 year old sophomore coming off a broken foot.

Thats bang on man. My thoughts exactly. Even now..Reilly isnt playing like before that arm/shoulder injury. He looks a bit tight up there the way hes moving. We have a month and hopefully he stays healthy. Really tbh if Zaitsev got hurt again and Holl came up I wouldnt be mad. Not to knock Zaitsev..as I said youre bang on. But I really like Justin Holl a lot.

Reactions: firstemperor

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Thats bang on man. My thoughts exactly. Even now..Reilly isnt playing like before that arm/shoulder injury. He looks a bit tight up there the way hes moving. We have a month and hopefully he stays healthy. Really tbh if Zaitsev got hurt again and Holl came up I wouldnt be mad. Not to knock Zaitsev..as I said youre bang on. But I really like Justin Holl a lot.

Agreed, I thought Holl was excellent in that 2 game stint and still have no clue why he wasn't afforded an extended look....even if its not Zaitsev (I don't think you take him off because at peak performance, he looked to be a legit top 4 type, especially with PP time last year)...but Polak/Carrick, he definitely deserved a longer look...particularly because he can PK and has some size.

Reactions: jrgtml67

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I won't get on people who complain after a loss because we all want to see the Leafs win. I will say look back at Randy Carlyle and Ron Wilson. Do we really want to go back to when they were the previous coaches before Babcock, hell no.

Good lol but i was saying Mike didnt do or say a thing wrong about the play in question he is right. So why get mad?

Polak is better than people let on. He does ice it a lot but then again he rarely turns it over and is super sound defensively. He is just slow and poor bastard broke his leg bad even Stamkos wasnt the same for an entire season. Issue with Roman is he older and the game is faster..hence the iciings. But his PK and his physicality brings something we are missing until Borgman cleans up his game. As the yr wore on Borgman seemed to get less physical and ultimately smooth skating Dermott beat him out. Next yr for now we all but know we will have one 1 RHD Igor Oz. Who is big, hits and apparently a monster bomb shot. This yr his numbers are off bc his coach is a moron and doesnt use him as effectivelt as the coach from last yr. Should be interesting.

Then Carrick..I think he complements Dermott better but Polak is better defensively less giveaways by a lot. Cant win lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Good lol but i was saying Mike didnt do or say a thing wrong about the play in question he is right. So why get mad?

Polak is better than people let on. He does ice it a lot but then again he rarely turns it over and is super sound defensively. He is just slow and poor bastard broke his leg bad even Stamkos wasnt the same for an entire season. Issue with Roman is he older and the game is faster..hence the iciings. But his PK and his physicality brings something we are missing until Borgman cleans up his game. As the yr wore on Borgman seemed to get less physical and ultimately smooth skating Dermott beat him out. Next yr for now we all but know we will have one 1 RHD Igor Oz. Who is big, hits and apparently a monster bomb shot. This yr his numbers are off bc his coach is a moron and doesnt use him as effectivelt as the coach from last yr. Should be interesting.

Then Carrick..I think he complements Dermott better but Polak is better defensively less giveaways by a lot. Cant win lol
I guess when the Leafs lose some people feel the need to vent and they take it out on Babcock.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Agreed, I thought Holl was excellent in that 2 game stint and still have no clue why he wasn't afforded an extended look....even if its not Zaitsev (I don't think you take him off because at peak performance, he looked to be a legit top 4 type, especially with PP time last year)...but Polak/Carrick, he definitely deserved a longer look...particularly because he can PK and has some size.

Agreed. But I think sending him down doesnt hurt him. He is an elite AHL guy..no need to rush him. Its a balance between vets vs rookies. We cant have 2 rookies out of 6 or 7 D and id rather him play then sit then play..sit then play. He will make it next year if he plays like that again in camp

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
I guess when the Leafs lose some people feel the need to vent and they take it out on Babcock.

Agreed. I hate that poster who always creates that thread about Babcock being faulty. Like shut up. Hes the best coach, hes done nothing but win and we arent going to win every game. Does he make mistakes sure. Like the old OT starters. Kadri Komarov stupid. Since that last time he did that and we lost it was Marner Marleau or Matthews Nylander starting. So there we go

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Agreed. I hate that poster who always creates that thread about Babcock being faulty. Like shut up. Hes the best coach, hes done nothing but win and we arent going to win every game. Does he make mistakes sure. Like the old OT starters. Kadri Komarov stupid. Since that last time he did that and we lost it was Marner Marleau or Matthews Nylander starting. So there we go
Personally speaking if the Leafs lose and it looked like a controversial ending or one of the players made a huge mistake like Polak did on Tampa's 3rd goal, I just let out a scream or I might swear a few times to get it out of my system and not trying to post about it.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
What do you want/expect from a 5th/6th defenceman? Big solid net presence and get the puck out of the zone. Asking for more, is like asking your K-car to do 200km/hr. The problem with Polak... or K-cars, they're never going to do anything you 'love'. An exotic car is being kept in a heated garage, washed and waxed while the K-car is off to the crusher. Both leave you wanting more, but it is what it is.

Babcock has been dealing with exotics for a long time. When he sees a car doing 200km/hr, it's no big deal to him. So when he sees how the car is doing in the corners, how it's braking, etc., he notices any problem. There's a lot of fans who watch Nylander and just think he's perfect. I know who I'd choose to get Nylander into the winner's circle however.

If you take all the stats since the Leafs last won the Cup, last season, Zaitsev tied for 38th worst +/-. With all those Ballard-era, JFJ-era teams... Zaitsev is right in the mix. And I'm not bothering to
check, but his name might go straight to the top for players that played on Leaf teams that scored more then they let in. I think Zaitsev is playing with more confidence which isn't a good thing. A cautious Zaitsev might be for the best. If he's learning from his mistakes, this isn't a problem.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Whats so bad about it?
Yeah, not getting the outrage.

I am surprised though that there hasn't been more of a fuss being made about Mclennan going on about his car.
No doubt there would be petitions had Millen discussed his wheels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad