Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

Feb 24, 2004
He does make questionable lineup decisions, but we’re not as good with most other coaches. Accountability in youth is important in development, gifting players minutes/situations because they’re more skilled develops complacency and poor mindsets.

Don't see how young guys learn accountability when older players get free passes for the same mistakes.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Its been 3 years you should know how babcock operates. If he barely acknowledged mathews 4 goal game last year how did you think he was gonna react. We dont need to baby nylander he is a big boy. Babcock gives credit in very subtle ways and i think his comment was actually a form of praise in his own way.
yeah sure thing. praising our young players for doing great things is insanity. Not sure why you care how they develop anyway. didn't you say our rebuild was a failure and we have to start over?

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
What I've noticed with Babcock is that he hates turnovers off your stick but doesn't mind players who perform actions that lead to a loss of possession. If Marner or Nylander stick handles and losses it its bad, but if Zaitsev rifles the puck off the boards into the neutral zone just to see the opposing team comeback with the puck its ok. He even commented on Dermotts misplays but never talks about Zaitsev or Polaks bad passes or their dump and chase and loose the puck mentality.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I guess the remaining games "don't matter" but they have to play like it matters a lot. You wanna go into playoffs as hot as possible. They need to keep their foot on the gas.

Yup. I get that. But so long as they compete hard, I'm not going to get bummed out by a few OT losses.

Reactions: egd27

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The public scrutiny and demoralization campaign on Nylander is getting pretty extreme. More curious to see if next year it shifts to Marner because of contracts as well.

Can anyone really with a straight face say Babcock isn't disproportionately negative about Nylander while giving passes to many others?

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
yeah sure thing. praising our young players for doing great things is insanity. Not sure why you care how they develop anyway. didn't you say our rebuild was a failure and we have to start over?
its quite possible babs has much different interactions with his players that we are not privy to. hes always been a bit of a tool with the media as far as i can remember. but ye, its one of my gripes with babs for sure that the vets can do no wrong mostly.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
We are a great team with great players.

We have a head coach who makes baffling lineup decisions and has completely different standards for certain players.

Both these things can be true.
Babcock's line ups are explainable, even thought people will object to them.

Carrick or Polak? Carrick is still sheltered a lot. At a certain point in the 3rd period, we don't see him at all anymore. Polak is put out there regardless.

The forward lines, it comes down to two factors both related to defense.

1. It is defense first.
2. Who is a liability defensively speaking.

The center is the most important player of the forwards who must be good on the back check.

It is very old school.

Don Cherry, he use to have a player Peter McNab. When they were ahead late, Don Cherry would pull McNab and play someone else.

Babcock, just like everyone else, still doing the same old thing, pulling JVR or Nylander off their lines late protecting a lead.

That is how the lines are set up, and that is how the lines are changed when they do.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
nice try but I think you have the wrong person on that last point lol... that's his coaching style, it always has been, not sure what else to say

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Reactions: stickty111

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Point out the turnover. I'm sure there's highlights of that play. Show me the turnover.

There wasn't a turnover. Babcock is being a :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/progress-of-the-rebuild.2451719/
which option did you vote for then?
sure looks like "Start over: this team is not built for the playoffs, better to start tanking again"
No need to hide from how you feel about the team
Obviously i was trolling the most outrageous answer... I find it kind of weird that you are going to the effort of digging into previous threads on me simply because i disagreed with your statement that babcock is too hard on nylander? You'd make a great politician.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Florida is playing for their lives...we are playing for...

?

literally none of these remaining games matter. In that if we catch 2nd place, great! If not...oh well? I liked how we matched up against both TB and Boston.

If this team isnt playing for hard for home ice advantage in the first round I can't even begin to image the beat down Boston or Tampa will give us during the playoffs.

This team should most definitely be playing as hard as possible to get home ice advantage.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
its quite possible babs has much different interactions with his players that we are not privy to. hes always been a bit of a tool with the media as far as i can remember. but ye, its one of my gripes with babs for sure that the vets can do no wrong mostly.

How do you think the young players who are supposed to look up to the vets for direction and leadership feel about them if Babcock openly criticizes them and nitpicks their mistakes consistently? (It would be a great way to create disorder, factions and dissensions in the team). Just because Babcock doesn't nitpick and criticize his vets openly with the media doesn't mean he doesn't talk to them in private or even in the locker room. He answers questions thrown at him, but he also has a team to look after. The fact that the team is playing so well means they are a tight group and are playing for each other, and it takes a good coach to create that environment.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Obviously i was trolling the most outrageous answer... I find it kind of weird that you are going to the effort of digging into previous threads on me simply because i disagreed with your statement that babcock is too hard on nylander? You'd make a great politician.
maybe you're trolling now

Reactions: frog

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Zaitsev almost lost us the game last night and did tonight. I dont know if hed 100% from that foot injury. Gdamn NYR screwed us by waiting so long on TD regarding Mcdonagh. I think Lou thought if not we had a backup deal but NY took too long to decide. I still love our team but another D wouldve helped. Maybe we get lucky and Zaitsev gets hurt and Holl can come back he looked so good defensively and those 2 goals sure helped.

Also hope Pleknac starts to figure out our style he looks lost but its to be expected

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
maybe you're trolling now
What is your definition of trolling? Disagreeing with your opinion? NIce, I must have really offended you by saying nylander turned the puck over before his great goal. Hockey is not where you baby players like they are spoiled children. I think you are part delusional and only understand skill and dont understand the full concept of hockey imo.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
They sure do matter we could use home ice advantage. Last yr it saved Washington...i can all but guarantee if we had home ice we win that series

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I don’t mind if they start as the underdog on the road.

Puts all the pressure on the other team to win the first two.

Win just one, which the Leafs can do against either Bos or TB, and it’s a big momentum shift.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
A what candidate? Possession is fine its what you do with it and Pleknac is learning our system. Marleau is really sucking right now hes dragging that line down. A lot of good chances and he screwed every1 of them up esp the wide open marner he shoots it..like cmon. Id like to see Kapenen there.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Babcock focused on the tiny negative and gave Willy as little credit as possible for the best play anyone in a Leaf jersey has made all year. Maybe Willy tried to get the puck back because he thought it was the right play rather than he felt upset over a bad bounce 200 feet away from his net?

Bobcock is ridiculous. Praises Zaitsev, praises Polak, praises Hyman, but he just has to talk down Nylander. Can we trade Babcock for Cooper? Drouin wishes he was Nylander and yet Cooper gave the guy confidence, even saying that he trusts him after the fiasco. Nylander skates hard, makes a top 3 play of the game playing with plugs and Babcock can only focus on a phantom give away....

Man Babcock pisses me off sometimes.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Can anyone really with a straight face say Babcock isn't disproportionately negative about Nylander while giving passes to many others?
Do not let the public persona of Babcock fool us.

His good pro, listen to country music, and Saskatchewan science, that is all just a cover for the long game he is playing. Even his breaking down the season in 5 game segments, is practical on one level, but it is bullsh-- in the big picture.

The bigger picture, is what motivates this man, and he is good.

Look at how Babcock has his team playing. This team is playoff ready. And they are gunning for 1st place overall, without their best player in the lineup.

All the while Babcock is saying "we're not there yet", taking all the pressure off.

It is rare you find someone who sees so far ahead, has a plan that last this long. Babcock does not see the season in 5 game segments, he builds his team for the playoffs. He uses the entire season to build it.

That is the long game. Then the work done last season, the lesson transferred over to this season, that is even a longer game.

Babcock is executing that type of plan. In politics, this probably is called the end game. Babcock is good at this.

Most people in this world, cannot even begin to phantom this. Someone's brain can actually work this way? Most people do not even know what they gonna do next week, let alone the long game.

So, why is he so tough on Nylander? Nylander, he is the typical coach killer type of player, and Babcock loves his job. Nylander is a long term project in the eyes of the coach.

If one does not have any patience, following this Leafs team will drive them nuts, if it has not happened already.

Bwwwwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:dunce:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Win at home, tie on the road.

Really is a huge difference without Matthews out there for OT.

I really don't buy that Marleau - Marner line. Seems really ineffective and peripheral.

What?? That line has been carrying the offence for the last 15 games. I thought they looked fine tonight and Marner was dangerous. But your right, they did seem to be stuck to the outside most of this game

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad