Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Good to be positive but home ice is huge. Last yr if the Caps didnt have it we win that series. The better positive is Boston may be super drained if we play them they have 5 games to makeup in March and we have by far the easiest schedule.

So mad that NYR waited so long on Mcdonagh deal. I think we had him ..well us and Tampa bc Lou waited on plan B and mustve thought it was worth going all for Mcdonagh or nothing. Maybe Zaitsev gets hurt and Holl comes back..Zaits has been horrible since his return. And Rielly isnt at his pre injury form..hopefully Pleknac can figure out our style soon as well

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
What the other poster shouldve said is Marleaus performance on that line. Hes blowing Grade A chances and losing board battles. Eg tonight shoots with Marner wide open and a gaping net. I think Kapenen needs to go on that line. Couple games ago the shoeed that lines pt production and Kadri and Marner had triple the pts over Marleau..that says a lot. I wonder if Marleaus age is starting to show? But I still love Patty his leadership and experience will be huge in the playoffs.

Who knows..playoffs are a diff beast. We need to go in healthy, on a win streak and Freddy staying on fire and we can legit beat anyone. We have been dominated only a handful of times this yr...1 vs STB 1vs SJ and 1 vs VGK. The Boston game we lost was a neutral zone mess not domination. Point is last yr we had way more games we got badly outplayed and no team has really proven unbeatable.

Anyone find our record vs Tampa and Bruins this yr?

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
What the other poster shouldve said is Marleaus performance on that line. Hes blowing Grade A chances and losing board battles. Eg tonight shoots with Marner wide open and a gaping net. I think Kapenen needs to go on that line. Couple games ago the shoeed that lines pt production and Kadri and Marner had triple the pts over Marleau..that says a lot. I wonder if Marleaus age is starting to show? But I still love Patty his leadership and experience will be huge in the playoffs.

Who knows..playoffs are a diff beast. We need to go in healthy, on a win streak and Freddy staying on fire and we can legit beat anyone. We have been dominated only a handful of times this yr...1 vs STB 1vs SJ and 1 vs VGK. The Boston game we lost was a neutral zone mess not domination. Point is last yr we had way more games we got badly outplayed and no team has really proven unbeatable.

Anyone find our record vs Tampa and Bruins this yr?

Bro, no offense but ever thought about using the quote feature?

Sometimes it's hard to follow what/who you are referring to. I'm sure I'm not the only one that notices it :laugh:

Reactions: PickleRick

stuart5035

Apr 9, 2017
He's played for 20 years and still has scored 20 goals.

Not sure why people are giving him so much crap lately.

All players go through slumps, see Marner for details when he had like 2 goals in a 30 game span.

It happens.
Well said

What does he have, 20 goals? He still has the wheels and the shot and the savvy, I think he is a great addition, such class.

Thought the Leafs could hVe won both games on this brutal back to back, but also knew that Luongo and Vasil.... would be very difficult to score on. Just some bad puck luck too.

We have so much talent, we can score in bunches, what a treat, no need to overreact, everyone has their poor moments.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I know it's only been two games and he still has to adjust but Plekanec has been pretty invisible and hasn't looked like he should even displace Moore once Matthews returns. Hopefully he can get going though.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
What has Zaitsev and Pleks usage been like in terms of QoC and ZS last couple of games?

I recall Z’s performance on paper looked horrible even before his injury but he had pretty brutal usage at the same time.

Plek IIRC got literally 0 offensive zone starts last game lol

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Marleau is a good player. Yes consistent, but with Matthews out that Kadri line is on fire..except Marleau he blew 2 chances Grade A and we lost. Tonight Zaitsev cost us in OT but Marleau had Marner wide open empty net and he shoots it. Also recently they showed that lines combine pts and Kadri ans Marner had almost triple the pts over Marleau so hes not even assisting. Id like to see Kap on the line

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I was referring to in overtime.
No you werent. Just admit it. You were talking about their entire body of work.

Its clear though we have 2 first lines with Matthews and Kadri, and a bad 3rd line. Sonething needs to be done about the Bozak line.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Do not let the public persona of Babcock fool us.

His good pro, listen to country music, and Saskatchewan science, that is all just a cover for the long game he is playing. Even his breaking down the season in 5 game segments, is practical on one level, but it is bullsh-- in the big picture.

The bigger picture, is what motivates this man, and he is good.

Look at how Babcock has his team playing. This team is playoff ready. And they are gunning for 1st place overall, without their best player in the lineup.

All the while Babcock is saying "we're not there yet", taking all the pressure off.

It is rare you find someone who sees so far ahead, has a plan that last this long. Babcock does not see the season in 5 game segments, he builds his team for the playoffs. He uses the entire season to build it.

That is the long game. Then the work done last season, the lesson transferred over to this season, that is even a longer game.

Babcock is executing that type of plan. In politics, this probably is called the end game. Babcock is good at this.

Most people in this world, cannot even begin to phantom this. Someone's brain can actually work this way? Most people do not even know what they gonna do next week, let alone the long game.

So, why is he so tough on Nylander? Nylander, he is the typical coach killer type of player, and Babcock loves his job. Nylander is a long term project in the eyes of the coach.

If one does not have any patience, following this Leafs team will drive them nuts, if it has not happened already.

Bwwwwahahahahahahahahahahaha!

:dunce:

Also Babcock spoke the truth in this case. He was asked a question..he wasnt negative he was honest. Will did turn it over and hustled to get it back to make up for his error. Happens all the time..a player fs up and then tries harder to makeup for it. Just last night Will gave it right to Erne who scored goal 3. With skill and creativeness turnovers happen. Hes 22 and is learning still. If he ever wants to be a center he has to change is turnover percentage. Hyman is a beast, how he puts his body between a player and puck ..one of the best in the league at it. Matthews rarely turns it over but was doing it more before his injury.

Zaitsev though..for me hes been a mess since returning. His ill timed step up cost us tonight. Normally Babcock is right to defend his play. Tonight though Im sure if they asked him about that play he would say he made a mistake.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Man can we get rid of primo donna Nylander. Its cringe worthy how people need to him to be praised 100% fully, and if he isnt, people start saying dumb comments like "can we trade Babcock for Cooper" despite most under performer coach in the NHL being the biggest reason why Lightning could go out in the 1st round.
Babcock made a small criticism(and people are wow he is so bad. How dare he say anything to golden boy Willy) and praised Willy for making a great play.

Can we just keep Babcock and not make him into the worst person in humanity just because he was critical of an overrated favorite player on this board?
Babcock is just really amazing sometimes. One of the biggest reasons we are a great team.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Man can we get rid of primo donna Nylander. Its cringe worthy how people need to him to be praised 100% fully, and if he isnt, people start saying dumb comments like "can we trade Babcock for Cooper" despite most under performer coach in the NHL being the biggest reason why Lightning could go out in the 1st round.
Babcock made a small criticism(and people are wow he is so bad. How dare he say anything to golden boy Willy) and praised Willy for making a great play.

Can we just keep Babcock and not make him into the worst person in humanity just because he was critical of an overrated favorite player on this board?
Babcock is just really amazing sometimes. One of the biggest reasons we are a great team.

I agree except with the part of over rated player. Obvious youre trolling. Nylander is an elite talent period. His pts speak for themselves and that was after a slow start. But I do agree with Babcock. He was honest. Its true he turned it over and hustled bcause of his mistake. Happens alot with amy player. You give it up and you put that extra effort in to make up for it.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I agree except with the part of over rated player. Obvious youre trolling. Nylander is an elite talent period. His pts speak for themselves and that was after a slow start. But I do agree with Babcock. He was honest. Its true he turned it over and hustled bcause of his mistake. Happens alot with amy player. You give it up and you put that extra effort in to make up for it.
Remember a few years ago when there was that whole controversy when Randy Carlyle said James Reimer played just "okay" which was talked about for a few days. On the following HNIC after that they showed a clip of Babcock when he was with Detroit during the 24/7 series where he said Jimmy Howard had played horrible, however he was still going to start him in their next game. The Detroit media didn't give his comments a second thought.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Sickening people complain about our coach. Last yr what was it 94pts this year we are at 85 with 12 games to go..with an easy schedule in March. So we may well break 100pts. In just 2 yrs he has turned us around. He had us over achieve last yr, and this yr we have had some growing pains but we have never lost more than 4 in a row I believe.

You think he doesnt matter. He is huge. Andersen for eg MVP caliber season with the wrong coach that doesnt happen. Marner on fire for 2 months after a slow start. Babcock guaranteed has helped him out of it. Watch him b4 each game smacking the guys "lets go boys," after a good play you get a pat and a "good job," after a bad one he draws on his board. Coaching is hard. You have to be critical and figure out how to approach each guy, not every player responds to the same type of criticisms.

Ive managed in a restaurant before. Some guys do well with a stern talking too, others respond better if you give them a reason..like a free meal if they do well.

We arent where we are this and last year without Mike

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Remember a few years ago when there was that whole controversy when Randy Carlyle said James Reimer played just "okay" which was talked about for a few days. On the following HNIC after that they showed a clip of Babcock when he was with Detroit during the 24/7 series where he said Jimmy Howard had played horrible, however he was still going to start him in their next game. The Detroit media didn't give his comments a second thought.

Way different. Reimer stood on his head and Randy was an idiot. In this case Babcock was honest.

Did he turn it over? YES
Did he hustle extra hard to get it back due to the turn over? YES

Does that commonly happen after a mistake by any player? As in hustle more when you goof? YES

He didnt say well he didnt play well all game and blah blah. He spoke nothing but the truth. That is what happened..hustled hard bcause he gave it up. He did it last night and we got scored on. Hes 22 and learning. I think hes elite and Babcock has said it before. Mike is also right not to play him fulltime at center, Nylander isnt ready defensively. Compare him defensively to Matthews Hyman Kadri Brown Komarov and even Marner hes behind all of them defensively.

Its like Gardiner right. Many say he sucks. Well thats a crock. His issue is hes so creative that sometimes he makes glaring easy to see mistakes. When he gets it right he looks like a genius. Like I dunno 19 pts in 20 games kind of smarts.

Im not knocking Will and saying hes not playing well. Im saying our coach told the truth. Will offensively is dynamite but turnovers and defensively he needs work..thats fine again 22 hes a young buck learning no issue.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Oh and to any who want to disagree. I called it yesterday. I said Pleknac would center Nylander due to Nylander not being ready for center defensive responsibilties and it somewhat took away from his offense. Tonight he had more chances and looked dangerous just Pleknac needs a good week of practice to get up to speed on our style. When you play your whole career with MTL and Max Patches there is an adjustment period.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
thats considered a turnover? a blocked point shot thats loose? that was a lost 50/50 puck battle not a turnover.
Ya that's why a lot of fans are upset by what he said post-game. He never turned it over. He used his speed and generated an A+ chance, and an EN for "Hyms".

Don't see how young guys learn accountability when older players get free passes for the same mistakes.
I agree, I get worked up too sometimes due to his decisions often leaving me scratching my head but we forget that this is really the first time Babcock has coached such a young, developing, skilled team. He's always working towards improving. But he will make mistakes.
Do not let the public persona of Babcock fool us.

Look at how Babcock has his team playing. This team is playoff ready. And they are gunning for 1st place overall, without their best player in the lineup.

All the while Babcock is saying "we're not there yet", taking all the pressure off.
Seems you understand Babcock and what he's trying to do. He takes an immense amount of media pressure + scrums away from the young players so they don't have to worry about it. Whenever the young guys answer questions they are asked more about their personal life or what they did with their family. Very easy questions that will make them smile and enjoy that they're in the NHL and a Maple Leaf. This seems to be the approach so far, leaving the young guys to worry just about playing hockey and listening & implementing what the coaching staff tells them behind closed doors.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Ya that's why a lot of fans are upset by what he said post-game. He never turned it over. He used his speed and generated an A+ chance, and an EN for "Hyms".

I agree, I get worked up too sometimes due to his decisions often leaving me scratching my head but we forget that this is really the first time Babcock has coached such a young, developing, skilled team. He's always working towards improving. But he will make mistakes.

Seems you understand Babcock and what he's trying to do. He takes an immense amount of media pressure + scrums away from the young players so they don't have to worry about it. Whenever the young guys answer questions they are asked more about their personal life or what they did with their family. Very easy questions that will make them smile and enjoy that they're in the NHL and a Maple Leaf. This seems to be the approach so far, leaving the young guys to worry just about playing hockey and listening & implementing what the coaching staff tells them behind closed doors.
There should be no questioning Mike. He called it like he saw it. He didnt say William stunk, or played ok. He simply said he hustled after a turn over..hes right. Hes brought us 2 straight playoff yrs. Remember 2 yrs ago where we were and fast fwd to today. Total team effort by coaches and players. 94pts last yr maybe 100 this yr..id say he knows what hes doing no?

Reactions: MattySnipes

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3