Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The shootout is bs first off.
Last year we werent as good in it for 2 reasons. The first is Andersen wasnt as solid. The second is our shootout guys were all rookies. This yr Andys top notch in all situations and our young guys have learnt. The point is Babcock is the only triple gold coach for a reason. He has been a monster part in our success..give me a better coach in this league with the amount of young talent doing what we are? Toddy boy is a great coach yet with all those talented guys they arent even close to us. Some of that is the GMs fault in the Hall trade which was a massive mistake, and Talbot..who is good but not Andersen good. Point is Babcock is world class. He we was bang on with that Nylander goal. So whats wrong with honesty. That Randy vs Reimer comment is nowhere near the same. In that case Reimer stood on his head with no help and Randy made a dumb comment. This time Mike just said he hustled because he turned it over...is he wrong? No hes not..thats what happened. Stating what happened isnt being harsh on william. Plus william does need to learn how to be better in that respect if he wants to be a full time center. He did it last night turned it over to Erne for a 3-2 lead Tampa. Nylanders great..but is he young and learning? Yes he is. So I dont get why ppl are on Babcock hes done nothing but win since he came here.

Again Ill ask this...is there any coach youd rather have now? For me its a huge NO!
I hate the shootout as well.
To me it's a tie and that's the end of it. Can't criticize the boys for being even after 3 periods. The shootout is so not a team game. Any of us could coach a shootout and still win/lose.
Wish they'd do away with it.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Can we relax on Zaitsev? He's a defensive d-man and he's been doing his job fine despite just coming back from a broken foot.

Reactions: ULF_55

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Can we relax on Zaitsev? He's a defensive d-man and he's been doing his job fine despite just coming back from a broken foot.
He's not a defensive dman. He's an offensive dman who Babcock is trying to play as a defensive dman and he's doing really bad at it.

Reactions: Pia8988

The Caveman

We are all the goat
Jan 14, 2007
Montreal, PQ
Ah.. whatever. 3 in 4, and a game that means little. Leafs were the better team. Panthers are fighting for their lives.

I'm a big fan of the Plek move. He seems very hesitant out there, hopefully its due to lack of system knowledge. Hoping these practice days brings him up to speed, he is faster than that.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sure we can have a chamomile tea and put on some acoustic Neil Young, no problem. I still think Zaits hasn't been very good this year, in our end, and not worth the outlandish contract to date. "Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting....."

Reactions: weems

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Defensive d-man?

And he didn't just come back from a broken foot. It's been quite a while. When is he going to get over that? Next season?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
No you werent. Just admit it. You were talking about their entire body of work.

Its clear though we have 2 first lines with Matthews and Kadri, and a bad 3rd line. Sonething needs to be done about the Bozak line.
No I wasn't ... Marner and Marleau aren't a line except in overtime ... you don't know that?

During regulation there are 3 forwards on the ice. In overtime just two. Most people understand that.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
They sure do matter we could use home ice advantage. Last yr it saved Washington...i can all but guarantee if we had home ice we win that series

How did it do that when the series only went 6 games and Washington won 2 of 3 at the ACC?

Babcock is not as smart as Bill Belichick.

Maybe not, but he is smarter than most of the people that post here.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
Anyone would think this team is about to miss out on the play-offs with a bunch of journeyman on it's roster.

This is such an exciting time to be a Maple Leaf fan and some people can't allow themselves to be optimistic/excited, but choose to just rag on whoever is whipping boy of the week, or hammer the coach who has been a huge part in this amazing transition.

Going from basement boys to play-off sure-things with so much space to still develop isn't a given. Look at all the others who have recently failed at trying to do the same again and again.

Man, i'm so pumped at this Leafs organisation. So excited where it's all heading.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Defensive d-man?

And he didn't just come back from a broken foot. It's been quite a while. When is he going to get over that? Next season?

Carrick should be with Jake and Z with Dermott. Its the only way to cover for his lack. Carrick seems to make Jake play better for some reason.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Sure we can have a chamomile tea and put on some acoustic Neil Young, no problem. I still think Zaits hasn't been very good this year, in our end, and not worth the outlandish contract to date. "Keep me searching for a heart of gold, and I'm getting....."

I learned how to play Out on the Weekend recently, beautiful song and even more relaxing! :)

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Zaitsev didn't look good prior to the injury. Now he looks as bad or worse than Polak. Also last year he struggled as well and look how much better Rielly looks without him.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah Z has not looked good but let's not throw him under the bus just yet.
I for one resist throwing him under the bus, he isn't my new whipping boy, and I won't pick apart ever error. All that said, it is fair to acknowledge he hasn't looked as good this year, at times even bad. For me, it is the lack of poise that I find striking, he is making panic passes up the wall a lot more. The confidence isn't there for whatever reason, but he could still well turn it around, because we've seen it, for extended periods. I will say, I criticized that contract the moment I saw it, seemed unnecessary given his tenure. There is some trepidation that we made a mistake giving a guy with one year under his belt a lifetime deal, on top four money.

Reactions: weems and SAMCRO44

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Defensive d-man?

Take a look at Karlsson, it takes a long time to recover from that type of injury. That being said, he hasn't been very good. Hopefully he turns it around or Lou will have to make him vanish

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
He's played for 20 years and still has scored 20 goals.

Not sure why people are giving him so much crap lately.

All players go through slumps, see Marner for details when he had like 2 goals in a 30 game span.

It happens.

marleau is 4th on the leafs with 20 goals..6 ahead of nylander. ya hes missed chances lately..but you guys need to give it a rest. hes done exactly what we brought him here to do :help:

This exactly... hes the guy grounding Marner, letting him zip around and finding Kadri for the last month of top of the league offence.

Its 5on5. Hes not just sitting around, his coverage and reads drawing players are part of 145 lbs Marners success in the most benign but important way.

Why? Hes still a threat.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Leafs need an upgrade on the 1st. pairing.

That would solve a lot of their problems on defense as 5 of 6 defenders would get pushed down a slot.

It would help if the forwards helped out, but defensively Brown, Hyman, Komarov are the only ones who seem willing to play the boards. I should add Kapanen loved his play the other night when he ran the guy at the blueline to get the puck out. Really need to see more engaged that way rather than just relying on "a good stick" on defense.

And a shout out to Pavel Nylander on his assist last night!

Reactions: Pi

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
0-2 with Plekanec. He’s shown nothing to warrant a 2nd round pick. Bum. All I heard was he was a shutdown guy, meanwhile he’s taking bad penalties and getting danced around for goals.

Give the guy some time lol.

He went from the tanking MTL habs, with a front office filled with with the ppl who traded away Subban and Serga with pride...

To

The 4th/5th team in the East during a slump.
2nd in the East when smooth with a front office who took a last place team 1 year and next year they took it to the Caps in their prime.

It aint just the uniforms hes adjusting too.:laugh: P.s. hes noticably better than moore/martin already!

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Wow Gare Joyce is a hack. He was one of our best forwards today.

what does the Toronto media have against nylander? TSN show 1000 replays of his defensive mistakes including in intermission they are still going on about it, but only his defensive mistakes not marners or browns or hymans just nylanders not to mention they were willing to leafs to trade him last year. Now this from sportsnet I don't understand why TV networks keep on trying to tear down a 21 yr old kid, was Michael Nylander a dick to Toronto media?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->