Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Exactly, Marner was the early season winner followed by the torch and pitchforks out for Gardiner for quite a while. JVR and Bozak are on again off again (always simmering for Bozak I think) and now its snakebitten Marleau who must be close to retirement and Zaitsev. Pleks better have a good game next time out or hes next on the griddle.
dont forget our October Freddie Andersen....

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
We dominated the Panthers today by possession, xgoals, scoring chances, all of the above. It was a tight game on a back to back.....it happens, can't be too disappointed. I didn't think Carrick looked as good as some of you guys think......but I think Dermott was lights out tonight, and he would have made Polak look equally good out there so it's a moot point.

Zaitsev.....another poor showing, always sucks in Florida and his play lately has been concerning.

We actually got out-possessed last night in Tampa, and got rifled with more shots against but I thought the game was pretty close, we were up in xgoals....and probably had higher-end scoring chances.

We'll take the 2 points, over 2 games in Florida on a back to back....

Next game, it might be time to consider revisiting Nylander at C (let him go through some growing pains Babcock)....and certainly, taking Zaitsev off of Gardiner's pairing.

I'd still like to see Holl called up with the big club. He was a stalwart in his 2 games here earlier in the year.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Discordia

Nov 1, 2017
Imagine any other coach just straight ripping on one of there best players, even when he does something good, and turns around and gives credit to anything he does to a plug linemate of his.

This coach is brutal.

Reactions: hotpaws

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Nylander played a tremendous game, let me tell you something. I think Micheal Nylander and Willy have a surprise up their sleeve in terms of how much Willy wants etc.... Its comments like this that are fueling a swedish fire.

Is this hearsay, am I making things up.... Well,no comment. Lets just say, the Nylanders understand English and bad treatment.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Nylander played a tremendous game, let me tell you something. I think Micheal Nylander and Willy have a surprise up their sleeve in terms of how much Willy wants etc.... Its comments like this that are fueling a swedish fire.

Is this hearsay, am I making things up.... Well,no comment. Lets just say, the Nylanders understand English and bad treatment.
sure sounds like it

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Leafs now 31-15-3 with Zaitsev in the lineup this year(Many of those games without Mathews and Zaitsev played the most minutes).

Whats that? 117 point pace or something?

Friggin AHLer must be Murphied!

In all honesty, he hasnt looked quite right since the injury but hes had some decent games too. He was off a little bit tonight but I thought Gardiner was the scarier player. They had a good third though. The pinch was a calculated gamble and he lost but cant really blame him for going for it thinking he had Kadri behind him.

The hate for Marleau is really bizarre. Hes still playing great defense and is getting good chances but is a little snakebitten despite getting 8 points in 10.

I think people just like to complain sometimes.

Reactions: Mitchician

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
yeah it was all for entertainment purposes.

Does Babcock talk like a lifetime inmate on purpose? Playin gud, looking gud. Its comedic.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
We dominated the Panthers today by possession, xgoals, scoring chances, all of the above. It was a tight game on a back to back.....it happens, can't be too disappointed. I didn't think Carrick looked as good as some of you guys think......but I think Dermott was lights out tonight, and he would have made Polak look equally good out there so it's a moot point.

Zaitsev.....another poor showing, always sucks in Florida and his play lately has been concerning.

We actually got out-possessed last night in Tampa, and got rifled with more shots against but I thought the game was pretty close, we were up in xgoals....and probably had higher-end scoring chances.

Next game, it might be time to consider revisiting Nylander at C (let him go through some growing pains Babcock)....and certainly, taking Zaitsev off of Gardiner's pairing.

I'd still like to see Holl called up with the big club. He was a stalwart in his 2 games here earlier in the year.

Zaitsev was the best dman last week in the 1-0 win.......Both him and Gards were gold that day. The reason we won IMO.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica

sounds like a smart career move to demand a bunch more money because of perceived unfair treatment. he will get paid what he deserves based off comparable players of his age playing the same position. not off of "feelings"

edit: it appears maybe u were kidding, in that case my answer is "lol" instead

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives

Yep. Luongo has been a monster in the 3 games this year. Not much you can do about that. I will take the 1-0-2 record

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Leafs now 31-15-3 with Zaitsev in the lineup this year(Many of those games without Mathews and Zaitsev played the most minutes).

Whats that? 117 point pace or something?

Friggin AHLer must be Murphied!

In all honesty, he hasnt looked quite right since the injury but hes had some decent games too. He was off a little bit tonight but I thought Gardiner was the scarier player. They had a good third though. The pinch was a calculated gamble and he lost but cant really blame him for going for it thinking he had Kadri behind him.

The hate for Marleau is really bizarre. Hes still playing great defense and is getting good chances but is a little snakebitten despite getting 8 points in 10.

I think people just like to complain sometimes.

Tampa has a really good record with Girardi playing for them. Should we trade Marner for Girardi so we can also have a better record?

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Once again our illustrious coach makes a few baffling decisions based on sheer ignorance and stupidity. Nylander with Plekanec and Hyman? Why, cause he was a minus 2 in his first game at centre in a while against an elite team like Tampa? Kapanen on a line of plugs is a waste. Zaitsev in OT when you have great skating defencemen? Why wasn’t he “punished” for his giveaways last night? Gawd I hate this coach.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
For everyone panicking about Marleau, even in a worst case scenario it's pretty clear that the price of dumping money isn't as bad as everyone thought.

If he gets through next year without being a huge negative, it'll cost like a 3rd or 4th to have someone take on the last year of his deal once we pay his signing bonus.

$1.25 mil base salary for a $6.25 cap hit is a dream come true for Arizona.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Once again our illustrious coach makes a few baffling decisions based on sheer ignorance and stupidity. Nylander with Plekanec and Hyman? Why, cause he was a minus 2 in his first game at centre in a while against an elite team like Tampa? Kapanen on a line of plugs is a waste. Zaitsev in OT when you have great skating defencemen? Why wasn’t he “punished” for his giveaways last night? Gawd I hate this coach.

Don’t be hating on gudpros. Nylander just has to start eating healthy food, stop playing Fortnite and sleep on time. Then he will earn Babcock’s praise.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Man we have such a great coach here. Happy to have him.
Zaitsev!

He's becoming the new Hyman on these forums!

In the end, we got to look at the results. The fact is, in another game, the Leafs allowed only 1 even strength goal. The 3 on 3 OT is a little gimmicky, as teams can go the whole season with seeing that once in regulation.

How did Zaitsev play?

On the power play goal against, he was behind the icing line almost right beside the Florida player on the near post. Hainsey was trying to climb over the net on the far post. Not sure what happened there.

On the second goal against, only heard it on the radio, and Bowen and Jim Ralph said the Leafs had a bad line change and got caught on a 5 on 2, which is kind of laughable. On the tail end of the replay, there was Zaitsev in the slot besides a Florida player, and there was another Leafs watching the other Florida player slide the puck around the goalie who was really out in space, and into the net.

There was a stretch during the 3rd period tied game, where the Dermott - Carrick pair got hemmed in. It lastws a while. What the Leafs did next, was send out Hainsey and Zaitsev, not the regular pairings. They sent those two out, just to regain control your own zone. I don't think Dermott - Carrick got another shift.

Then the penalty late to Nylander 4 minutes remaining. Again, we watch Hainsey and Zaitsev kill the entire 2 minutes, those two did not leave the ice.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Am I the only one who doesn’t understand the outrage about Bab’s
comments?

Nylander turned the puck over, got his ass going, and then made an incredible play.

What’s wrong with saying that?

I assume most others here played hockey at some point.

When you made a turnover, did it not get upset and work to get the puck back to make up for it?

Seems like people just want to be mad at Babcock

Last edited:

member 147413

We’re Top 4 in the league (yes, games in hand) but there’s less than 20 games left for most teams. We’re led by players 23 and under, and we’ve got people calling for heads?

Reactions: Cor

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
maybe because barkov is one of the best 2 way centers in the league and we are without our best center and pleks actually has a reputation of shutting down other teams big players??? dear lord lay off the sauce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad