Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT 3-2

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Stephen, May 3, 2021 at 9:34 PM.

1. SeenSchenn2 Itchin' For Mitch

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Although we owned shots, possession (59%) and expected goals (54%), that's a game the Habs are happy playing; basically a coin toss.

As zeke pointed out, their goals came with the extra man so shit happens. Biggest concern right now is Foligno.

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 10:59 AM
    willmma likes this.
  2. mydnyte Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    No, the saves Cambell made were of the spectacular variety, Allen was just 'solid'
    the Canadians didnt win the Game the leafs Lost it. in Regulation Matthews loses a critical draw cleanly (again) which he should not have even been on the ice to take as he was not doing well in that matchup, and on his weak side to boot... then Marner fails to clear, and Muzzin is just too darn slow to get beat anyone to a puck in his end, and that pass should never have been able to be completed that close to the net, and its a tie game, than in OT a 2 on zero with no shot on net because Marner didnt shoot the puck... come on, not even a shot on a 2 on zero!!!

3. Dayjobdave Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm happy with the wake up call.

4. BertCorbeau Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Seems to me Keefe is using these games to get players accustomed to tough scenarios for the playoffs.

Matthews' taking that late third period draw on his weak side looks like it one of those.

5. sxvnert Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Ok with the loss so long as they humiliate them on Thurs & Sat at home.

6. Twine Tickler Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Bingo. I'm couldn't care less about losing 3 on 3 OT at this point. We still have a healthy lead for first place. the extra pt is less relevant than the morale of a road W against a team who desperately needed 2.

The PP is brutal. Has been even through the recent "scoring". It lacks pace and movement. no one touch passing. no one time shots. It's f***ing pathetic TBH. I just hope that the Leafs are playing possum with the league and are practicing a new PP system without implementing it in game action until the playoffs. Hopefully just catch teams with their pants down trying to scheme against our old PP system.

As for the neutral zone thing, ya its a bit concerning for sure. I just think alot of it has to do with not being into these games mentally personally. The remedy is hard nosed, get pucks deep and make the defense pay. Thats hard to ramp up for when you are playing for nothing. MTL is not good enough to win like that. They can't score, and they are not disciplined enough to stay in that structure. Yesterday was one of their better games playing that way and they still gave up more HDCF overall. I'm not saying it's not a concern at all, its just less of a concern than it was in recent years. For example, if we were played that way last year we would have never won the HDCF battle IMO. We would just crumble and submit to their scheme. We have won many games against teams playing that way against us this year, but it surely is the most effective way to keep the game in reach for the opponent

mix1home likes this.
  7. egd27 Donec nunc annum Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Think Yankees-Red Sox.

The Leafs-Habs rivalry goes back over 100 years.

Gary Nylund likes this.
  8. mydnyte Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    thats bad coaching... you work on that in practice, not with a 1 goal lead in the last min when he'd not been fairing well all game at winning faceoffs. Danault seems to have Matthews beat more often than not in the faceoff circle.

Dr C likes this.
  9. BertCorbeau Global Moderator

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Nothing preps you like real game situations.

And at this point in the year, with a playoff spot locked up, this is a good test. Especially against a guy you might face regularly in the playoffs.

29Potvin and hockeyes like this.
  10. Phion Keneuf Bang Bang

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    We have to be saving our good PP for the playoffs.... right?

I hope...

willmma likes this.
  11. Gary Nylund Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Exactly. It's just ridiculous that these two teams haven't met in the playoffs for 42 years and the result is an entire generation of fans that has missed out on enjoying one of the historic rivalries in pro sports. I'm just begging for this to happen this year and spark the flames again.

12. The 6ix Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I remember the 1979 Leafs-Habs series like was yesterday.

Gary Nylund likes this.
  13. Brown Dog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    When I read that, I was like "no, it wasn't that long ago. I was born in 1979 and I'm not....oh crap, I'm old!"

NinjaKick, egd27, Gary Nylund and 2 others like this.
  14. wendelclark17 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Solid gameplan by MTL for the first 2 mins of OT....don't play hockey for as long as humanly possible when matthews and marner are on the ice.

15. Ziggdiezan Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It was also a tricky little change they did to get caufield breaking into the slot so delayed and alone

16. Volcanologist Used Register

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    these games don't really mean anything for us. hard to get too worked up until postseason starts, honestly. I don't care who we play in the first two rounds because we should be expected to beat any of them.

NinjaKick and Auston 316 like this.
  17. mix1home Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It was nothing else, but attempt to get Matthews that EN goal to pad his Rocket lead in game of no consequence. If habs fans think they would be able to score last minute in PO, all power to them.

18. NicRattlehead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I get the history aspect of it completely. I just wanted to know if it was something where “most Habs fans are a##holes” type of thing. Some fanbases you hate because their team wins, but they really just love their team, and you are rivals etc. Some you hate because the bulk of the fans are arrogant jerks AND you hate their team. For me there is a difference - one you respect but hate because they are your rival. The other you loathe with all fiber of your being lol. Eg I graduated from Florida State.....we loathe the University of Florida. I won’t drink Gatorade or allow my family to purchase Gatorade period and I wouldn’t cheer for UF if they played Satan in badminton (ie I hope they lose at everything). Are the bulk of leafs fans in the we respect the habs but hate them because they’re the habs or is it we loathe them?

19. NicRattlehead Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    It's tough going into the enemy's den flying your team colors for sure. I've always been nice to opposing fans as long as they are respectful but it definitely takes some stones to make that move. I also really respect people who are loyal to their team so I try to be as nice as I can to opposing fans.

The history between the clubs and the history of the original six is fascinating and was one of the things that really drew me to start following and cheering for the Canadiens. I don't harbor the same ill will toward the Leafs that most Habs fans do and I suppose that makes me somewhat of a bad fan but again this is all relatively new for me (I started following the sport around 2 years ago).

Surprising to hear that the Oilers fans are pretty annoying. I wouldn't expect that.

You guys have an amazing team and even though you don't need it, best of luck the rest of the season and in the playoffs.

Leafsfan74 likes this.
  20. Gary Nylund Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    That's it for me. I have a ton a respect and grudging admiration for the MTL franchise, I just hate MTL because as a kid who started watching hockey around 1969 or so and grew up in Toronto, hating MTL was just part of the deal. As I get older, following sports becomes less important but I'm pretty sure I'll always love the Leafs and always hate (respectfully) MTL.

I loved it when I think it was last season, WSH came to town and they did a feature on Bruce Boudreau (who I watched play for the Leafs and the Marlies before that), they went to the home where he grew up, talked about history and he said he doesn't like MTL to this day. I remember thinking I like this guy, he may coach a different team but he's still a true blue Leaf fan. :)

NicRattlehead likes this.
  21. stickty111 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Imagine if Freddy could make a big save for once.

22. Racer88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Freddy who..........:)

23. egd27 Donec nunc annum Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    IMO.

The older fans 50+ have a greater dislike for Montreal (and their fans) than the younger fans. Me personally, I have friends that are Hab fans, I just detest the team. :laugh:

As far as a-holes.....every fanbase has their share, ours included.

NicRattlehead likes this.
  24. Suntouchable13 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think if you became a fan within the last 20 years or so, like me, you don’t really detest Montreal as much as other teams. Yea, the older fans for sure hate MTL a lot more.

NicRattlehead, egd27 and leafsfan5 like this.
  25. GBLeaf Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I've been a fan since 2008.

I can categorically state Montreal and Boston are the only two sides I detest.

I have circumnavigated Earth and only one thing unites every single nation i've entered. The collective hatred of the French.

Montreal can suck a dick.

NicRattlehead and Oscar Peterson like this.