Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose in OT 3-2

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Although we owned shots, possession (59%) and expected goals (54%), that's a game the Habs are happy playing; basically a coin toss.

As zeke pointed out, their goals came with the extra man so shit happens. Biggest concern right now is Foligno.

Last edited:
Reactions: willmma

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Wasn't a great game by the leafs but still should have won. Campbell was good but Allen was better. Game boiled down to 2 things. Leafs think they are the Harlem Globetrotters of the NHL with the pass happy approach and our goalie let in a bad goal at a bad time which doesn't bode well for the playoffs.
No, the saves Cambell made were of the spectacular variety, Allen was just 'solid'
the Canadians didnt win the Game the leafs Lost it. in Regulation Matthews loses a critical draw cleanly (again) which he should not have even been on the ice to take as he was not doing well in that matchup, and on his weak side to boot... then Marner fails to clear, and Muzzin is just too darn slow to get beat anyone to a puck in his end, and that pass should never have been able to be completed that close to the net, and its a tie game, than in OT a 2 on zero with no shot on net because Marner didnt shoot the puck... come on, not even a shot on a 2 on zero!!!

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems to me Keefe is using these games to get players accustomed to tough scenarios for the playoffs.

Matthews' taking that late third period draw on his weak side looks like it one of those.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ok with the loss so long as they humiliate them on Thurs & Sat at home.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
That OT was super frustrating for several reasons. But ultimately the Leafs failure at 3-on-3 is irrelevant because that format goes out the window in the playoffs, which is all we care about now.

More concerning is...
  • The PP's ongoing ineffectiveness
  • The inability to close out the win in regulation
  • The susceptibility to being limited offensively by a mediocre team clogging the neutral zone
These are the things that could sink us in the playoffs if not corrected.

Bingo. I'm couldn't care less about losing 3 on 3 OT at this point. We still have a healthy lead for first place. the extra pt is less relevant than the morale of a road W against a team who desperately needed 2.

The PP is brutal. Has been even through the recent "scoring". It lacks pace and movement. no one touch passing. no one time shots. It's f***ing pathetic TBH. I just hope that the Leafs are playing possum with the league and are practicing a new PP system without implementing it in game action until the playoffs. Hopefully just catch teams with their pants down trying to scheme against our old PP system.

As for the neutral zone thing, ya its a bit concerning for sure. I just think alot of it has to do with not being into these games mentally personally. The remedy is hard nosed, get pucks deep and make the defense pay. Thats hard to ramp up for when you are playing for nothing. MTL is not good enough to win like that. They can't score, and they are not disciplined enough to stay in that structure. Yesterday was one of their better games playing that way and they still gave up more HDCF overall. I'm not saying it's not a concern at all, its just less of a concern than it was in recent years. For example, if we were played that way last year we would have never won the HDCF battle IMO. We would just crumble and submit to their scheme. We have won many games against teams playing that way against us this year, but it surely is the most effective way to keep the game in reach for the opponent

Reactions: mix1home

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I do cheer for the Habs but I’m trying to understand - is all the animosity just because the rivalry is so intense or is it because most Habs fans act like a##holes to you guys? I’m used to rivalries and enjoy them thoroughly but I can get along with most of my rival fans as long as there is a civil discussion

Think Yankees-Red Sox.

The Leafs-Habs rivalry goes back over 100 years.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Seems to me Keefe is using these games to get players accustomed to tough scenarios for the playoffs.

Matthews' taking that late third period draw on his weak side looks like it one of those.
thats bad coaching... you work on that in practice, not with a 1 goal lead in the last min when he'd not been fairing well all game at winning faceoffs. Danault seems to have Matthews beat more often than not in the faceoff circle.

Reactions: Dr C

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
thats bad coaching... you work on that in practice, not with a 1 goal lead in the last min when he'd not been fairing well all game at winning faceoffs. Danault seems to have Matthews beat more often than not in the faceoff circle.

Nothing preps you like real game situations.

And at this point in the year, with a playoff spot locked up, this is a good test. Especially against a guy you might face regularly in the playoffs.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Think Yankees-Red Sox.

Exactly. It's just ridiculous that these two teams haven't met in the playoffs for 42 years and the result is an entire generation of fans that has missed out on enjoying one of the historic rivalries in pro sports. I'm just begging for this to happen this year and spark the flames again.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Exactly. It's just ridiculous that these two teams haven't met in the playoffs for 42 years and the result is an entire generation of fans that has missed out on enjoying one of the historic rivalries in pro sports. I'm just begging for this to happen this year and spark the flames again.

When I read that, I was like "no, it wasn't that long ago. I was born in 1979 and I'm not....oh crap, I'm old!"

wendelclark17

Sep 13, 2007
Solid gameplan by MTL for the first 2 mins of OT....don't play hockey for as long as humanly possible when matthews and marner are on the ice.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Solid gameplan by MTL for the first 2 mins of OT....don't play hockey for as long as humanly possible when matthews and marner are on the ice.
It was also a tricky little change they did to get caufield breaking into the slot so delayed and alone

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
these games don't really mean anything for us. hard to get too worked up until postseason starts, honestly. I don't care who we play in the first two rounds because we should be expected to beat any of them.

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON

It was nothing else, but attempt to get Matthews that EN goal to pad his Rocket lead in game of no consequence. If habs fans think they would be able to score last minute in PO, all power to them.

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
Think Yankees-Red Sox.

I get the history aspect of it completely. I just wanted to know if it was something where “most Habs fans are a##holes” type of thing. Some fanbases you hate because their team wins, but they really just love their team, and you are rivals etc. Some you hate because the bulk of the fans are arrogant jerks AND you hate their team. For me there is a difference - one you respect but hate because they are your rival. The other you loathe with all fiber of your being lol. Eg I graduated from Florida State.....we loathe the University of Florida. I won’t drink Gatorade or allow my family to purchase Gatorade period and I wouldn’t cheer for UF if they played Satan in badminton (ie I hope they lose at everything). Are the bulk of leafs fans in the we respect the habs but hate them because they’re the habs or is it we loathe them?

NicRattlehead

Mar 5, 2021
Houston, TX
It goes back to the Original Six days, with only six teams in the league. Habs have won the most Cups, Leafs a distant second most.

This rivalry is passed on from earlier generations and also due to the regional history (Francophones vs. Anglophones).

That's the history. We haven't met them in the playoffs since '79, so today it's just based on the passion and focus both teams receive from their fan base and media.

Habs fans can be less than civilized , I've experienced some of their worst when going to the Bell Centre with a group years ago. Today I'd say Oiler fans are worse.
It's tough going into the enemy's den flying your team colors for sure. I've always been nice to opposing fans as long as they are respectful but it definitely takes some stones to make that move. I also really respect people who are loyal to their team so I try to be as nice as I can to opposing fans.

The history between the clubs and the history of the original six is fascinating and was one of the things that really drew me to start following and cheering for the Canadiens. I don't harbor the same ill will toward the Leafs that most Habs fans do and I suppose that makes me somewhat of a bad fan but again this is all relatively new for me (I started following the sport around 2 years ago).

Surprising to hear that the Oilers fans are pretty annoying. I wouldn't expect that.

You guys have an amazing team and even though you don't need it, best of luck the rest of the season and in the playoffs.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I get the history aspect of it completely. I just wanted to know if it was something where “most Habs fans are a##holes” type of thing. Some fanbases you hate because their team wins, but they really just love their team, and you are rivals etc. Some you hate because the bulk of the fans are arrogant jerks AND you hate their team. For me there is a difference - one you respect but hate because they are your rival. The other you loathe with all fiber of your being lol. Eg I graduated from Florida State.....we loathe the University of Florida. I won’t drink Gatorade or allow my family to purchase Gatorade period and I wouldn’t cheer for UF if they played Satan in badminton (ie I hope they lose at everything). Are the bulk of leafs fans in the we respect the habs but hate them because they’re the habs or is it we loathe them?

That's it for me. I have a ton a respect and grudging admiration for the MTL franchise, I just hate MTL because as a kid who started watching hockey around 1969 or so and grew up in Toronto, hating MTL was just part of the deal. As I get older, following sports becomes less important but I'm pretty sure I'll always love the Leafs and always hate (respectfully) MTL.

I loved it when I think it was last season, WSH came to town and they did a feature on Bruce Boudreau (who I watched play for the Leafs and the Marlies before that), they went to the home where he grew up, talked about history and he said he doesn't like MTL to this day. I remember thinking I like this guy, he may coach a different team but he's still a true blue Leaf fan. :)

Reactions: NicRattlehead

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Are the bulk of leafs fans in the we respect the habs but hate them because they’re the habs or is it we loathe them?

IMO.

The older fans 50+ have a greater dislike for Montreal (and their fans) than the younger fans. Me personally, I have friends that are Hab fans, I just detest the team. :laugh:

As far as a-holes.....every fanbase has their share, ours included.

Reactions: NicRattlehead

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I think if you became a fan within the last 20 years or so, like me, you don’t really detest Montreal as much as other teams. Yea, the older fans for sure hate MTL a lot more.

I've been a fan since 2008.

I can categorically state Montreal and Boston are the only two sides I detest.

I have circumnavigated Earth and only one thing unites every single nation i've entered. The collective hatred of the French.

Montreal can suck a dick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad