Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose by a very small margin. Caps win 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Tough loss, they kept it closer than I thought they would though.

Dilemma for tomorrow, sell or go.
Worse thing as a fan is watching your Team get knocked out.

Not if your team is already performing way above expectations. You'd be nuts not to go. I wouldn't even be worried about the Leafs getting dominated, they've found a way to stay in 5 games in a row.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not if your team is already performing way above expectations. You'd be nuts not to go. I wouldn't even be worried about the Leafs getting dominated, they've found a way to stay in 5 games in a row.

It's more about my daughters disappointment. We had such a great time at Game 3, I worry this won't approach that.

If she didn't want to go I wouldn't go.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
It's more about my daughters disappointment. We had such a great time at Game 3, I worry this won't approach that.

If she didn't want to go I wouldn't go.

If your daughter doesn't want to go, you can always make a new one. One you can love.

Obviously I'm joking. Don't shelter your daughter from disappointment. It's a powerful life lesson if the Leafs lose.

TiMo15

Nov 8, 2008
I don't feel angry or upset if they get knocked out tomorrow. They have been playing great in this series. Yes, there were some inconsistency and made some bad mistakes but for Leafs fan, this team has speeded up the rebuilding process a lot faster than we thought. Caps is in all-in mode this season, Leafs is still taking a step, but it's a huge step for all the rookies this season. Imagine when they are more mature next couple years? And then they have a solid core of defence group with Anderson on net? It will be more interesting and exciting to watch this team.

I have no complaint at all, I love watching these rookies. In the whole series, they fought hard even down by goals early and pushed the series with 4OT and 1 regulation loss? The team did give hard time against Caps. Babcock and management team will be able to fix the problems for sure.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
I'm more affraid that holtby is heating up. Leafs need to score and shut that narrative down quickly.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
RE: The Kadri hit -- In real time it looked like a great hip check. On the replays in slow motion, it was evident his knee caught Ovechkin's knee. Whether that was a result of either player trying to get out of the way or not, a 2 minute penalty was fine.

RE: The OT goal -- To me it looked like that was on Hunwick, not Rielly. Both seemed to think that Andersen was going to come out and play it. Either way, it looked like Hunwick misplayed the whole sequence, from not getting to the puck to completely being lost when it came to covering Johansson/Kuznetsov. Nylander should have been back covering Williams, but he was 2 seconds too late after realizing he wasn't going to get the puck on the half boards.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'm more affraid that holtby is heating up. Leafs need to score and shut that narrative down quickly.

Holtby has been a beast all series long, seems like the only time we can get one past him is with heavy traffic in front. Needs to be screened and/or deflected. If he sees the puck he stops about 99% of them. Just need to keep crashing the crease

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I don't know how a true fan who has tickets can say they don't want to go to the game because
We might lose. We have already won!

Most pundits think
We are not supposed to be here
We are not supposed to win a game

I would love to be at the game. Even if we are getting blown out with 5 minutes left in the game
I would start a standing ovation for what they have done this year

In my heart I wish the fans would do this
This team deserves it

Our future looks great something we haven't been able to say in 50 years

Proud to be a leafs fan

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
It will be difficult, the Caps won both of the key games.
It time, with out backs against the wall...to play our best game.

C'mon Mitch--wake up!

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Where would Tom Brady be today if he had the same attitude of some Leaf fans - just happy to be here? Kurt Warner would have another Superbowl ring...

You play to win the game.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Where would Tom Brady be today if he had the same attitude of some Leaf fans - just happy to be here? Kurt Warner would have another Superbowl ring...

Exactly.

Professional sports is not a place for moral victories.

The Leafs are not expected to win. If they get beat, they get beat.

Three Leafs losses this series, they gave each of those games away.

They gave away three playoffs games.

You start changing the roster when that happens.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I get that I'm a Leafs homer, and Caps fans are going to be Caps homers, but I fail to see what people on the main board are seeing. A still gets posted where Kadri's knee in the process of bending over catches just below Ovi's knee, and Kadri's elbow is at the same height as Ovi's knee and everyone screaming, see the initial point of contact is the knee.

When throwing a hip check, what matters to determine clipping or not is where the brunt of the contact from the hip comes from. If someone is looking at the still that constantly gets posted and thinks Kadri's hip is at the height of Ovi's knee then they must believe Kadri has some severe anatomy issues that start with a massive hip dislocation. Kadri's hip is about the height of halfway up Ovi's pants, and assuming the hit continues horizontally from that point hits halfway up Ovi's pants and is completely legal. I don't understand what posting that same still where Kadri's hip is at a height above Ovi's knee proves.

It's a borderline play that I thought was clipping and said should have been 5 initially(Ovi's "injury" makes it an auto 5), but looking back on it, the brunt of Kadri's hip hits Ovi in the pants which is not clipping, and thankfully it seems the NHL agrees.

I also don't see how that makes it tripping, I guess because he only caught half of Ovi's body(1 leg) because Ovi was trying to dodge it, and the refs felt the need to call something there. Because it looked bad.

It's also not a knee on knee because there was a lot of other contact there. Like when you're making a full body check and it just so happens that your knee hits his knee in the process it's not kneeing. It's only kneeing when that's the only contact that happens, i.e. you stick out your knee.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
No way bud! Talking scratching Jvr won't get us anywhere bro.Getting the powerplay clicking and pressuring their powerplay more consistently are the important changes we need. Babs knows this playoff game and the adjustments needed from game to game. Its tight out there every game through all five games. The expierence factor can't be dismissed either. I think all these rookies and veterans are up against it with regard to how good the Caps are. We are doing pretty good against the best regular season team in the league. We have last change to mix things up some. I trust Babs will use it to do the little things that will get you a few seconds matchup advantage.

I'm pretty impressed but not disappointed in any of our players. They are having tough times to a man at times but its to be expected. Its composure, compete and discipline that will determine the winner of a series like usual.

Babs will break it down for them i expect. The changes will be minor likely.

Difference of opinion is the case here. but as far as I am concerned; JVR is a disgrace of a 2nd overall pick. He SUCKS; just coasts on his shifts.

If I was a GM of the TML jvr is gone yesterday.... He is a definition of a heartless hockey player.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Not sure what the fan's attitude has to do with how the players actually perform. It's not like the Leafs are not trying to win out there.

Exactly.

Professional sports is not a place for moral victories.

The Leafs are not expected to win. If they get beat, they get beat.

Three Leafs losses this series, they gave each of those games away.

They gave away three playoffs games.

You start changing the roster when that happens.

Well, yeah there roster is going to change .. Not all of the same players are going to be back ... The Leafs are still rebuilding their club with some prospects that could be ready to make the jump, some UFA spots to fill, and possibly some trades

Not sure what changes you're talking about

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Not sure what changes you're talking about

I don't work there, and they ain't going to listen to us.

The only time I believe, deep in my heart, that they ever listen to us fans ... was the time when Harold Ballard fired Gerry McNamara. :clap:

First step for management this off season, taking a long hard look at the old people on the roster. Only half at most will be back.

Unhealthy Scratch

Auston 4:16
Mar 15, 2016
Where would Tom Brady be today if he had the same attitude of some Leaf fans
I don't know, but at least he'd have the ability to contextualize things.

If you decide to start working out to lose 40 pounds, you don't beat yourself up every day until you're 40 pounds lighter. It's a process. Losing 10 pounds would still be a success in the sense that you'd be on the right trajectory, and would know that you just have to keep doing what you're doing and continue to get better until eventually you get to where you want to be.

Literally no one is arguing that losing in the first round is good, or that it ought to be our ultimate goal - just recognizing that not winning the Cup, or even this series, given our circumstances, is far from some tragic failure.

Last edited:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Is Ovechkin going to get any discipline for his dive? It did ultimately cost the Leafs the game, that undeserved penalty lead to a goal and the Leafs would win in regulation if not for that.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
leafs have hurt their own pp on their own too. How many times did they establish possession only to pass it to the point and have the puck bounce their sticks?

Establishing the zone is huge, and I saw a few times where they lost it all on their own.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Playing the same team consecutively yields interesting information

Centers by offensive zone starts:
Matthews 60.3%
Bozak 39.7%
Boyle 33.3%
Kadri 22.7%

Defensemen:
Carrick 75.6%