Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose by a very small margin. Caps win 2-1 OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
Welp, I didn't even notice the slash to the leg on that play while I was watching the game, so I stand corrected on that one. Both my gf and I missed that entirely during the game. :laugh:

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The Marner line is an issue. They're getting the easy matchup and need to exploit. Instead they're often hemmed in their own end.

That's been discussed throughout the series and throughout the GDT. The fact we lost doesn't change that.

Complaints on Kadri's line not generating are junk, that's not their job right now. Andersen has been okay. Most see that, even with his weak goals.

The Rielly complaints are largely due to the GWG.

Pretty much spot on. We are losing this series because one of our lines is completely atrocious 5 on 5 and Washington is exposing it.

Kadri gets the tough Backstrom matchup, tasked to shut down the best line in the playoffs. Can't expect much offense from him as long as he is neutralizing them, he is doing his job. Matthews and Willy are playing against another top tier line (Kuznetsov) and have been doing great/producing offense as well as containing that line.

Even our 4th line with some defensive zone starts has been fine. Very physical and driving play at times. When the Bozak/Marner/JVR line comes on, they are getting pushed back into their own zone and generating nothing at even strength. It sucks for babcock because he has to find them minutes somehow so he's been starting them in the offensive zone as much as he can... which means less O zone shifts for Matthews and Willy.

And of course the PP has been bad too. But I think having the one bad line in a series with 7 other great ones is hurting us the most.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Nothing-good-comes-easy-quote-inspiring-wallpaper.png

Beleaf 001: Toronto Maple Leafs Centennial 2017 Playoffs Pump (HD)

GoLeafsGO.gif

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We are going to win 6&7. Marner' line has to be WAY better and if they aren't, bench them. They don't produce enough to be put out there for 15 mins.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs most effective lines in order.

#1 - Matthews line has been the Leafs best offensively and with most zone time and pressure.

#2 - The 4th line of Boyle's has been the 2nd most effective, doing their part as per their roles and Kappy has even contributed some key goals.

#3 - Kads line has been assigned a shutdown role and energy/pest and done that fairly successfully keeping Washington's potent offense in check most of the series while getting under the opposition skin.

# - Bozak's line has been by far the least effective in the series despite drawing the easier defensive coverage. Even their once strong PP play has faded away in the series.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Matthews line scored 1 goal.

Pretty well if the other lines don't score their odds of winning are slim.

3 other lines had 3 periods to score and failed.

Leading the team in scoring (goals are used to determine victory) Matthews and Marner's line.

Leafs PP should take more blame.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Matthews line scored 1 goal.

Pretty well if the other lines don't score their odds of winning are slim.

3 other lines had 3 periods to score and failed.

Leading the team in scoring (goals are used to determine victory) Matthews and Marner's line.

Leafs PP should take more blame.

Matthews and Nylander should be out for the full 2 mins on a PP. Bozak line is wasting opportunity on ES and PP.

Bozak played good G1&2, atrocious in any other game. Marner has been invisible and so has JvR. I expected Marner to struggle this year so I'm not too worried but JvR can be better.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Matthews and Nylander should be out for the full 2 mins on a PP. Bozak line is wasting opportunity on ES and PP.

Bozak played good G1&2, atrocious in any other game. Marner has been invisible and so has JvR. I expected Marner to struggle this year so I'm not too worried but JvR can be better.

van Riemsdyk had the most shots on goal, but since I didn't watch the game I'm not sure if they were just ineffective shots.

However, wouldn't the analytics suggest getting the most shots is a positive?

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
I want to remind you all that the Leafs were supposed to get swept. Instead they fought hard and took a 2-1 series lead. And every game was close, every game was a 1 goal game and could have gone either way. If they end up losing his series tomorrow YOU ALL should remember that and appreciate the effort of these kids, instead of heaping anger and scorn on them and calling them bums.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Leafs most effective lines in order.

#1 - Matthews line has been the Leafs best offensively and with most zone time and pressure.

#2 - The 4th line of Boyle's has been the 2nd most effective, doing their part as per their roles and Kappy has even contributed some key goals.

#3 - Kads line has been assigned a shutdown role and energy/pest and done that fairly successfully keeping Washington's potent offense in check most of the series while getting under the opposition skin.

# - Bozak's line has been by far the least effective in the series despite drawing the easier defensive coverage. Even their once strong PP play has faded away in the series.

And that's why the league has changed from a top 6/bottom 6 to top 9.
If the Kadri line matchup and the Matthews line matchup cancel the Bbackstrom/Kuznetsov lines, then that 3rd line (Bozak) needs to make the diffference. Like we saw with the Bonino/Kessel/Hagelin line.
I think Marner needs a line more like Anisimov/Jenner. The other 2 lines are fine.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
van Riemsdyk had the most shots on goal, but since I didn't watch the game I'm not sure if they were just ineffective shots.

All he did was stand in our zone and chip the puck out. He had a chance to be the hero on a misplay by Holtby but couldn't bury it. Outside of that, he wasn't noticeable at all.

It's amazing how he's got the same size as Matthews and yet he's such a soft player. Guess that is what Babcock means when he says drive train. Matthews goes in to the corner to get the puck, JvR goes in the corner so he doesn't get scolded by Babcock.

GLobello

Dec 1, 2015

JVR had a chance all alone in front late in the 3rd but Holtby made a great stop. It goes in and we probably win. Williams got the chance alone in the slot and buried it. These games are so close one break either way is deciding them. To be doing that to the best team in the league with the defence that we have is a lot to get excited about.

Leafs will win Sunday and force game 7.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The boys in blue have looked slow since game 3, game 5 the Caps decided to give the Leafs the boards and clog up the middle and the Leafs failed to adjust, the Leafs continually tried to make cross slot passes and Wash intercepted them and then the Leafs had to defend.

Babs was out coached in game 5 by a big margin, although the score was 2-1, it should have been much higher.

Marner's ice time has been dropping steadily, I think he playing injured, if so bench him and bring in Leivo, the team is clearly not as fast as they were in the regular season, Marner is clearly not as effective as he was in the regular season.

Its been a sloppy series for both teams.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
And that's why the league has changed from a top 6/bottom 6 to top 9.
If the Kadri line matchup and the Matthews line matchup cancel the Bbackstrom/Kuznetsov lines, then that 3rd line (Bozak) needs to make the diffference. Like we saw with the Bonino/Kessel/Hagelin line.
I think Marner needs a line more like Anisimov/Jenner. The other 2 lines are fine.

Babcock believes in having a checker/grinder and heavy forchecker on each line and with Komarov, Hyman and Martin he has that on his other 3 lines making them more effective keeping them engaged by linemates that keep them in the fight, but the Bozak line lacks that component, often appearing to just go through the motions.

Its why the Bozak line is often a none factor in tight games because if they can't generate offense even against lesser competition they become more liabilities then assets.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Babcock believes in having a checker/grinder and heavy forchecker on each line and with Komarov, Hyman and Martin he has that on his other 3 lines making them more effective keeping them engaged by linemates that keep them in the fight, but the Bozak line lacks that component, often appearing to just go through the motions.

Its why the Bozak line is often a none factor in tight games because if they can't generate offense even against lesser competition they become more liabilities then assets.

Dozer-Bozak-Marner would make for a better line.

They need someone like Hyman willing to be the first in on the forecheck pounding the opposition. Bozak and Marner are both smart, finesse players, van Riemsdyk is a soft big man.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
The boys in blue have looked slow since game 3, game 5 the Caps decided to give the Leafs the boards and clog up the middle and the Leafs failed to adjust, the Leafs continually tried to make cross slot passes and Wash intercepted them and then the Leafs had to defend.

Babs was out coached in game 5 by a big margin, although the score was 2-1, it should have been much higher.

Marner's ice time has been dropping steadily, I think he playing injured, if so bench him and bring in Leivo, the team is clearly not as fast as they were in the regular season, Marner is clearly not as effective as he was in the regular season.

Its been a sloppy series for both teams.

Agree...but its almost impossible for Babcock to win the coaching battle in this series.

The Marner/Bozak/JVR line sticks out like a sore thumb in a series where every other line is capable of driving play/playing against any other line. The only real mismatch is Bozak's line vs any Washington line. This puts Babs in a predicament because even when he starts them in the O zone against Beagle or Wilson, they often end up back in their own zone getting cycled on.

I'm not sure what he can possibly do other then hope they return to their regular season form and start producing with those sheltered minutes. Hard to blame Babcock here.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Agree...but its almost impossible for Babcock to win the coaching battle in this series.

The Marner/Bozak/JVR line sticks out like a sore thumb in a series where every other line is capable of driving play/playing against any other line. The only real mismatch is Bozak's line vs any Washington line. This puts Babs in a predicament because even when he starts them in the O zone against Beagle or Wilson, they often end up back in their own zone getting cycled on.

I'm not sure what he can possibly do other then hope they return to their regular season form and start producing with those sheltered minutes. Hard to blame Babcock here.

Unfortunately, Matthews line is the only line capable of playing and producing in any style.

Kadri's line can't produce while they're playing the shutdown role, 1 even strength goal in 5 games isn't good production.

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Unfortunately, Matthews line is the only line capable of playing and producing in any style.

Kadri's line can't produce while they're playing the shutdown role, 1 even strength goal in 5 games isn't good production.

Agreed...we could really use a player like Oshie or Williams in our lineup for secondary scoring right now.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Time for an epic comback? Let's hope so.

I see Marner chasing the play a lot, I am not sure if he's playing it safe, injured or just not the player to have play a dump and chase game. Bozak has been in most of the forechecks, JVR some, but they are successful maybe 15% of the time and it's rarely Marner who retrieves the puck. The one time he lifted a stick it led to an overtime goal. Having a Komarov, Hyman or Martin on the other wing would help, or just let him carry it in.

I'm still happy with all these kids first playoffs, they get this experience and they are still teenagers or barely 20. I just know Marner has another gear we haven't seen.

Id like to see Brown and Marner switch lines.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Time for an epic comback? Let's hope so.

I see Marner chasing the play a lot, I am not sure if he's playing it safe, injured or just not the player to have play a dump and chase game. Bozak has been in most of the forechecks, JVR some, but they are successful maybe 15% of the time and it's rarely Marner who retrieves the puck. The one time he lifted a stick it led to an overtime goal. Having a Komarov, Hyman or Martin on the other wing would help, or just let him carry it in.

I'm still happy with all these kids first playoffs, they get this experience and they are still teenagers or barely 20. I just know Marner has another gear we haven't seen.

Id like to see Brown and Marner switch lines.

I'd rather see Brown and van Riemsdyk switch lines.

I know different wings, but Brown and Komarov can both switch.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I think Trotz has figured out how to shut the Leafs down. I don't see the Leafs winning this series unless they can make an adjustment to counter Trotz's change in system. It seems like the Caps are just collapsing in front of the net every time the Leafs have the puck in the offensive zone. I can't think of more than 3-4 scoring opportunities for the Leafs last night. Not much offensive zone time, terrible power play. All around frustrating game to watch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dozer-Bozak-Marner would make for a better line.

They need someone like Hyman willing to be the first in on the forecheck pounding the opposition. Bozak and Marner are both smart, finesse players, van Riemsdyk is a soft big man.

JVR is a Leaf now, because of that very fact. Philly particularly in the playoffs noticed JVR has the size and hands to pot 25 goals but lacks the intestinal fortitude to battle hard without it, and often floats through games appearing to play at low intensity. If he only gave 50% of a Hyman, the line would be more effective.

JVR seems more intent on letting Marner to the heavy lifting and get him the puck in scoring chances, and Mitch the smallest member of the line, seems to be wearing down over time in that role.

Leafs might be willing to move on from JVR for the same reasons being seen now at playoff time, and try to find a gritty/checking member for that line.

Marner's London junior linemate Matt Tkachuk was such a player that would make that line sing. If they had a Tkachuk type player they would likely pair him with Matthews and then let Hyman do the job on that line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad