Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose (again) 7-3 to Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Great post, the puck luck and the unfortunate turnovers cost us the game. The turnovers are not on the coach whatsoever, and I feel they will disappear over time since we have a completely new structure with our new coaches (besides Babcock) and the team is just adjusting. I do feel that the Tavares line actually played pretty good last night though. It seems I’m the only one who feels that way.

I missed a decent stretch of the game, but from what I saw they were nowhere close to as dominant as they should be (being a 25 million dollar line).

Hopefully it's just early season adjustments, but the team is built on those 2 top lines controlling the puck while they are on.

They have to be the best lines out there. 3rd line and maybe even 4th line outplayed them for stretches.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
The entire summer was dominated on talk of Mitch Marner. Not a word was said about our woeful defense and questionable goaltending situation. While everyone breathed a sigh of relief when MM signed, not a word was said about what we really needed. Also, there was no thought that MM might make out like Steve Miller and take the money and run like Willy did. The fact is that the defense has regressed, never thought that was possible, and FA is not going to carry us to the promised land. As I said from day 1, this is all on Dubas. He is way over his head on so many different levels. Send the kid and his abacus back to the minors and let him and his analytics work things out down there. Hockey ain't baseball. Analytics don't work here,

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
The entire summer was dominated on talk of Mitch Marner. Not a word was said about our woeful defense and questionable goaltending situation. While everyone breathed a sigh of relief when MM signed, not a word was said about what we really needed. Also, there was no thought that MM might make out like Steve Miller and take the money and run like Willy did. The fact is that the defense has regressed, never thought that was possible, and FA is not going to carry us to the promised land. As I said from day 1, this is all on Dubas. He is way over his head on so many different levels. Send the kid and his abacus back to the minors and let him and his analytics work things out down there. Hockey ain't baseball. Analytics don't work here,

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Our D will have a boost from Dermott, Barrie is still getting comfortable... But Cody Ceci is not an answer to any of our problems, he’s basically useless in my opinion. We still need a top 4 RHD. Maybe Dermott or Sandin can be that guy as a lefty? Hard to rely on young guys to fix that issue.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Our D will have a boost from Dermott, Barrie is still getting comfortable... But Cody Ceci is not an answer to any of our problems, he’s basically useless in my opinion. We still need a top 4 RHD. Maybe Dermott or Sandin can be that guy as a lefty? Hard to rely on young guys to fix that issue.

Most teams that improve their D-core rely on young guys to fix their issues - draft and develop. The question always is does the team have young guys who can fix those issues?

So far the answer is no. Dermott hasn't look great when moved up the lineup, but perhaps that would change if he was given an extended look, especially when he has been so sheltered on the third pairing that any step up the lineup is a massive jump. Sandin hasn't even been given a proper look as a third pairing guy and Babs is reluctant to play him when the Leafs are ahead or the game is tied.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I was at the game last night in Toronto (1st time being there BTW) and this is what I saw. Marner, Rielly, Barrie were pretty non existent especially Marner. I wondered to myself at one point if he was even playing last night. Tavares, Kerfoot, Nylander and Matthews IMO had a great game. The Leafs didn't cover Stamkos well in his signature spot and he was unleashing fury. Kucherov has to have one of the best shots in the league and Point always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Also Andersson shouldn't have came out in the 3rd they should've came out with the backup. I even felt like the crowd wasnt into the game even when it was close in the 1st period.

Reactions: Ciao

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It is clear that Freddy masks many of the warts this team has. Until he finds his game, this team will bleed goals.
If he didn’t make opportune saves last oct and nov ( remember he was in the vezina conversation) they don’t make the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

tbh I said goaltending was a main reason they’re not in a window to win. Maybe Freddy proves us wrong but his resume doesn’t tell me he’s a championship caliber goaltender.
The other concerns are coaching and team toughness. When Barrie got run in the preseason with no response we all knew it would be the same old team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hiisi

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I was at the game last night in Toronto (1st time being there BTW) and this is what I saw. Marner, Rielly, Barrie were pretty non existent especially Marner. I wondered to myself at one point if he was even playing last night. Tavares, Kerfoot, Nylander and Matthews IMO had a great game. The Leafs didn't cover Stamkos well in his signature spot and he was unleashing fury. Kucherov has to have one of the best shots in the league and Point always seems to be in the right place at the right time. Also Andersson shouldn't have came out in the 3rd they should've came out with the backup. I even felt like the crowd wasnt into the game even when it was close in the 1st period.
Thanks for the game summary.

I was looking for tickets too but didn't make it there.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Is the answer to get rid of Rielly? Maybe, every team in the Atlantic has better #1 Defenceman or in Chabot’s case will be in a year or so. Maybe not Montreal.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
If you could read the comments on here, it's clear that it was Babcock. :sarcasm:

"My belief is they don't have enough puck to ago around for the 3 of them...." (I'm paraphrasing) but that's Babcock when asked in the pregame on how he feels about Tampa Bay stacking Stamkos, Kucherov and Point on their top line...well, they combined for 5 goals and 11 points. I'm sure he did a bang up job of motivating Tampa Bay instead of his own team...what a great coach. :sarcasm:

You know what the irony is? He has Kapanen playing with Tavares and Marner (with Hyman injured), and none of them are heavy players...he can't even stack his top line properly. When is he going to move Kapanen down and put Mikheyev up there?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It is clear that Freddy masks many of the warts this team has. Until he finds his game, this team will bleed goals.

Tyson Barrie was a -4 +/- on a night where TB scored 5 ES goals and Rielly was getting walked on several plays last night. Leafs never once gave up 7 goals against last year.

Leafs were down 5-3 to start the 3rd and managed only 1 shot on goal in the 3rd in the first 17 minutes of the period before ending with 4 total in the 3rd period in a game they were behind and should have been pushing the offense.

This team is built for offense, and 1/2 their cap is made up of just 4 forwards who combined for 5 points where the oppositions top line combined for 11 by themselves..

What that means is either Freddy needs to steal games or the other 1/2 the Leafs roster decides the outcome of the games on a nightly basis when opposition offensive talent matches or beats the Leafs top 4 forwards. This is what happens with a top heavy cap spending team where its your depth that decides if you win or lose games.

Last edited:

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
they have 3 losses and really only 2 real ones because one was a tie in regulation, so the Leafs got one point. Yesterday's loss was the only bad loss. I am concerned with Andersen, he looked terrible.
i'm not sure about that ...the defense was horrible. Anderson had zero chance on almost any of the goals. one timers, and blown coverage tap in's are hard to stop

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
"My belief is they don't have enough puck to ago around for the 3 of them...." (I'm paraphrasing) but that's Babcock when asked in the pregame on how he feels about Tampa Bay stacking Stamkos, Kucherov and Point on their top line...well, they combined for 5 goals and 11 points. I'm sure he did a bang up job of motivating Tampa Bay instead of his own team...what a great coach. :sarcasm:

You know what the irony is? He has Kapanen playing with Tavares and Marner (with Hyman injured), and none of them are heavy players...he can't even stack his top line properly. When is he going to move Kapanen down and put Mikheyev up there?
The question is when is this organization going to stop giving Matthews the shit end of the stick. Hes our best player, should be captain, should be #1 line, and should take the top assignments every night. If he wants to play between Hyman and Maner it should be his decision. I can't see this kid staying after 5 years..

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Probably would have lost against Ottawa too if Hainseys goal counts knowing how weak willed and soft mentally they are.

Reactions: Snowman

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The entire summer was dominated on talk of Mitch Marner. Not a word was said about our woeful defense and questionable goaltending situation.

You mean, other than the blockbuster trade they made to improve the top 4?

Or the fact that Morgan Rielly is the only Dman currently playing that was on the opening night roster last year?

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
tbh I said goaltending was a main reason they’re not in a window to win. Maybe Freddy proves us wrong but his resume doesn’t tell me he’s a championship caliber goaltender.
The other concerns are coaching and team toughness. When Barrie got run in the preseason with no response we all knew it would be the same old team.

Just curious, how's Binnington's resume look in October last year?

Plus the D look like swiss cheese right now.

While I'm not sold on Freddie necessarily, I'm also of the opinion in might be too early for grandiose proclamations about whether or not someone can win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad