Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose (again) 7-3 to Tampa Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
To be fair the Leafs neutered the Bergeron line at even strength last playoffs.

The problem was they didn't have any response to them on the PP
Yes, you're right but I don't think the PP was our problem. It was clearly the PK that killed us. If we kept that series 5v5, we easily win in 6 games.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
To be fair the Leafs neutered the Bergeron line at even strength last playoffs.

The problem was they didn't have any response to them on the PP

Yes, you're right but I don't think the PP was our problem. It was clearly the PK that killed us. If we kept that series 5v5, we easily win in 6 games.

I might be called a homer or biased leafs fan but quite frankly the series against boston (both times) was not officiated fairly; boston got huge advantage both times

last sereis Chara basically punched tavares when JT was not even looking and nothing came of it;

the sereis in 2017-2018 Gardiner got punched by Chara; and the ref gave Gardiner a penalty

refs screwed us both times. But we had a lead in the series this time and couldn't seal the deal that is on the entire team.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Tampa did to us exactly what you said we can't do. How is that a harsh reality? They play our game, they just have better pieces for it.

Wtf are you talking about

Possession and shots were even. Barrie missed coverage all night and was on the ice for 4/5 goals even strength.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

Twowingcantfly

Jul 4, 2019
This game without a doubt, prove how important puck possession has become in this modern NHL. I does not surprise me Tampa Bay blew us out of the water. Man for man it looks like we got better over the summer when you add up player stats.
It is evident however, the players that left complemented this core a lot better than the players we picked up.
Kadri, Gardiner, Ennis, Zaitsev are all possession type players. The one this bunch miss the most is Gardiner. Dermot is another possession type player. Can the addition of one guy make a difference.

You heard it here first. Carolina will represent the east in the 2020 Stanley Cup finals

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Like I said, Barrie ****ing sucks defensively.

And for those of you who think you can just have the puck all game and never need to play defense, this game is the harsh reality.
Honestly, Rielly has been significantly worse defensively. Hell, Muzzin was as bad if not worse defensively last night.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Just adding to your point that they have been bad for the entire calendar year plus most of December 2018.

I firmly believe that if the season started a bit later they would of missed the playoffs. I think it’s a character issue at this point. Some seem to just not gaf

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I firmly believe that if the season started a bit later they would of missed the playoffs. I think it’s a character issue at this point. Some seem to just not gaf

I agree with this completely.

Which is why I don't believe a coaching change won't do anything.

(unless we argue that the players are purposely playing bad for the coach, and would play different for a different coach..and if that is the case....well, we have a bigger issue than just a coach)

Reactions: Leafs87

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto

Its not even that drastic. We lose one extra game last season, and MTL wins one more than they did.

And it would've been us vs them in a WC. And Freddy VS Price is becoming clearer who the legit goalie is.

Dubas better know what he is doing by overpaying Marner. Matthews is legit next level and a tier above and got pennies more.
We couldve used that change to get another backup goalie who might takeover Freddies role like what the Caps did with Holtby when he was cold.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Its not even that drastic. We lose one extra game last season, and MTL wins one more than they did.

And it would've been us vs them in a WC. And Freddy VS Price is becoming clearer who the legit goalie is.

Dubas better know what he is doing by overpaying Marner. Matthews is legit next level and a tier above and got pennies more.
We couldve used that change to get another backup goalie who might takeover Freddies role like what the Caps did with Holtby when he was cold.
The Leafs also dicked around for the last 2 weeks and ended the season on a 3-game losing streak after they had clinched. Let's not pretend this came down to Game 82 for this team

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
No his floor is a uselessly soft winger who can’t hit, win a puck battle, create offense, shoot a puck or stay on his feet.

That is not his floor. That is him in a drought where nothing goes his way. He has shattered his floor and is easily an elite player. 5 games this season where he has had some struggles(but still produced) wont change his floor or what he has accomplished up to date. Marner will be over 90 points once this season is done once again. He will be an elite player for us and one of our top 3 players. 5 games does not mean anything for people who are looking to judge him on anything besides his Cap hit. People who are bashing him right now will look like clowns once he begins to tear the league apart ( same with people who called nylander a 3rd line lazy winger last year but are now silent due to him reverting back to an excellent 1st line caliber player)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
That is not his floor. That is him in a drought where nothing goes his way. He has shattered his floor and is easily an elite player. 5 games this season where he has had some struggles(but still produced) wont change his floor or what he has accomplished up to date. Marner will be over 90 points once this season is done once again. He will be an elite player for us and one of our top 3 players. 5 games does not mean anything for people who are looking to judge him on anything besides his Cap hit. People who are bashing him right now will look like clowns once he begins to tear the league apart ( same with people who called nylander a 3rd line lazy winger last year but are now silent due to him reverting back to an excellent 1st line caliber player)

My definition of "floor" is what you can expect in a worst case scenario from him on any given night.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
The over reactions here are wild. Maybe instead of last years hot start we will finish stronger? There sooo many things that bother me BUT ebbs and flows my friends. If it's like this in a month Babcock has to go. I bet Andy will be back to normal soon. Although, it's not an excuse maybe learning the hard way with a really tough schedule in month 1 will make the boys realize they can't play glorified pond hockey every night. Adjustments need to be made, players need to pick a roll that helps the team, not just them etc..... the next two weeks will dictate that.

Love the passion whether I agree or not butttttt

Go Leafs Go!!!

Reactions: hockeyes

Lenovs

Worst Pace Scenario
Oct 3, 2018
Vienna
on the one hand posters say we're a serious contender this year and still are happy if we're getting out of the first games with a .500 avg. i'm not the biggest hockey mind here by far, so forgive me my confusion, but i don't get it.

yes, it's early in the season, but the leafs seems to have the same issues as last year, and i'm not talking talent. i'm afraid this will be a long and frustrating season for many of us.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
on the one hand posters say we're a serious contender this year and still are happy if we're getting out of the first games with a .500 avg. i'm not the biggest hockey mind here by far, so forgive me my confusion, but i don't get it.

yes, it's early in the season, but the leafs seems to have the same issues as last year, and i'm not talking talent. i'm afraid this will be a long and frustrating season for many of us.

Every team has issues, if you want a perfect team you wont find it in the NHL. A few players have gotten off to a rough start, it happens.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nope doing it wrong. You offered nothing worth reading to this thread. Congrats.

Don't be a sore loser about it now

Nothing worth reading?

And I suppose drawing up fantasy land scenarios to make you feel better about losing to the Bruins is? :laugh:

Again, quit being a sore loser and accept they lost to a better team. With fans like you I understand, but I truly hope no one in our organization thinks like this and feels entitled to winning against better teams.

Last edited:

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I agree with this completely.

Which is why I don't believe a coaching change won't do anything.

(unless we argue that the players are purposely playing bad for the coach, and would play different for a different coach..and if that is the case....well, we have a bigger issue than just a coach)

I feel like just the way contract negotiations went down should tell you enough about our players.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Wtf are you talking about

Possession and shots were even. Barrie missed coverage all night and was on the ice for 4/5 goals even strength.
Barrie is great with the puck, but not so good without it. However, for his cap cost he’s a good addition.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Agreed, but when you're in dire need of a shutdown Dman to play with Rielly, and you settle for Barrie, you're asking to get lit up
I liked Kadri, but I think his time was over. Barrie has a lot of value (especially with his cap cost so low) and could return a better suited partner for Reilly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->