Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 6-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Because babcock has been known to put his best C on the wing? and pair his best players together instead of driving their own lines?

People really think marner would be our best C too?

FYI, Marner is the best winger and they paired him with the best centre in the exhibition season. By golly it worked.
If Tavares was to get hurt or something crazy, Babcock might look at putting him at centre, or he may promote the second or third line centre.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
FYI, Marner is the best winger and they paired him with the best centre in the exhibition season. By golly it worked.
If Tavares was to get hurt or something crazy, Babcock might look at putting him at centre, or he may promote the second or third line centre.

Marner has been here for 3 years. We have had multiple C injured. Including Matthews for 3 years.

Babcock refused to pair his best C and his best W at any point. Ever until this year.

When it became a condition of Tavares signing here.

Marner wasn’t even a C in junior.

I love the kid. But it’s getting nuts. Almost as bad as when jets fans were claiming laine would be the best D in the league

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
He outplayed him in the last 2 games, and 5 on 5 has been the better player.
Marner blocked 2 shots and now people think he is the perfect player.

Marner going up against Bergeron and Bostons top D pair, Nylander is going up against Coyle and their bottom d pair. Nylander has been playing well but pump the brakes a bit here. Nylander is doing what he should be doing and that's dominating lesser competition and Marner and Tavares have been outplaying their top players for most of this series.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Marner has been here for 3 years. We have had multiple C injured. Including Matthews for 3 years.

Babcock refused to pair his best C and his best W at any point. Ever until this year.

When it became a condition of Tavares signing here.

Marner wasn’t even a C in junior.

I love the kid. But it’s getting nuts. Almost as bad as when jets fans were claiming laine would be the best D in the league

I’m confused. What do Jets fans and Laine and D have to do with Babcock putting his two best players together?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Would be nice to see babs try stacking a line or 2.

Seems like most teams are fans of stacking a line but who's to say that is better for team success?

Still, it would've been nice if babs had tested this during the season

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I’m confused. What do Jets fans and Laine and D have to do with Babcock putting his two best players together?

Because it’s the same degree of over rating and not understanding positional demands.

Babcock loves C. He plays his best players as C. He tries to spread his talent out over lines.

Marner has not played a single professional game as a C. He has not played a single game with a rookie. Heck. He has played maybe a total of 5 games without a lottery pick on his line.

His linemates have JVR. Kadri. Tavares. Marleau (before the wheels fell off).

He hasn’t played with rookies or at C because babs doesn’t trust him. Not to maximize Tavares.

Tavares. Like Matthews and Crosby has made an entire career of playing with grinders abs scrap heap players.

Marner is an excellent top line winger. With a good motor and he back checks (despite losing position last night). He doesn’t have the D game to play C right now.

Being a good PK has nothing to do with being a 5 on 5 d player. See kapanen.

I love Marner. I would love it if he scored the winner the next 2 games and led us to the next round. People just see him flying around and equate that with effort
And heart.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Shouldn’t whoever has the best advanced stats be playing against Bergeron-Marchand?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Because it’s the same degree of over rating and not understanding positional demands.

Babcock loves C. He plays his best players as C. He tries to spread his talent out over lines.

Marner has not played a single professional game as a C. He has not played a single game with a rookie. Heck. He has played maybe a total of 5 games without a lottery pick on his line.

His linemates have JVR. Kadri. Tavares. Marleau (before the wheels fell off).

He hasn’t played with rookies or at C because babs doesn’t trust him. Not to maximize Tavares.

Tavares. Like Matthews and Crosby has made an entire career of playing with grinders abs scrap heap players.

Marner is an excellent top line winger. With a good motor and he back checks (despite losing position last night). He doesn’t have the D game to play C right now.

Being a good PK has nothing to do with being a 5 on 5 d player. See kapanen.

I love Marner. I would love it if he scored the winner the next 2 games and led us to the next round. People just see him flying around and equate that with effort
And heart.

Yea, so. He’s still their best forward.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Obviously, but why make it seem like you were uninterested just because the leafs were down?? It's a playoff game!

You got to admit, it was a pretty blah game by both teams last night.
I flipped to the Preds and Stars when I got home and that game was basically over before 8 central and when I flipped back the Bruins went from 2-1 to 4-2 and were cruise control. It looked and sounded like a weekday game in February.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
You got to admit, it was a pretty blah game by both teams last night.
I flipped to the Preds and Stars when I got home and that game was basically over before 8 central and when I flipped back the Bruins went from 2-1 to 4-2 and were cruise control. It looked and sounded like a weekday game in February.
Didn't feel like that at the rink - The fans were energized, and there was always a feeling that the Leafs could come back and make things interesting, which they did.

I thought it was a pretty good game with a frustrating result.

Reactions: authentic

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Marner has comfortably been better than nylander at all situations throughout the 4 games. Nylander has played well. Been our 4th best forward after marner, Hyman, and JT. The JT line has matched against the best line in hockey and come away with a 2-2 draw. Nylander has gotten easier competition but has thrived. Marner is our best player while nylander is our player with the most to prove. Both cmhave been good but can still be better.
Wow that is a hot take. I guess leaf fans have turned on matthews already.

“I dont care if he played well, he needs to produce!”

“I dont care if he is leading the team in scoring! He needs to play well and not score!”

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Didn't feel like that at the rink - The fans were energized, and there was always a feeling that the Leafs could come back and make things interesting, which they did.

Compared to other series it wasn’t very good. While Dallas had the heat on that game was high speed, high energy. Once they scored the fourth they slowed it down.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Same here.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Wow that is a hot take. I guess leaf fans have turned on matthews already.

“I dont care if he played well, he needs to produce!”

“I dont care if he is leading the team in scoring! He needs to play well and not score!”
Matthews is number 5 for me and rising. His first two games were subpar but last two were nice. Another couple games like that and he could end up number 1.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Matthews is number 5 for me and rising. His first two games were subpar but last two were nice. Another couple games like that and he could end up number 1.
I think yesterday made him 1st place in forwards or tied for first.

Havent been a fan of marners and tavares game last night or game 2. Game 3 they played well defensively but they have also been shut down offensively. I will take that as long as they shut down bergeron as well though.

None of our forwards have played a great game every game.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Not USA...who said that Haha
CANADA is a different animal. They have the skill but also the desire and compete...Americans not so much...our 34 is an example, allot of coasting at times. With his skill and size it shouldn't be close
Why does the US keep kicking our ass in World Juniors then? CHL is a soft buddy. Canada is not the tough rugged country hockey nation it once was. CHL has basically outlawed fighting...

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
This team still lacks that killer instinct. I didn't expect them to have it against Washington, but hoped they could develop it over the past two seasons.

Unfortunately I'm leaning toward Boston winning the series. Boston has proven to have it in the past.

This team really needs to learn to go in for the kill and end things. I still think the Leafs can win quite easily, but lack the confidence that they actually will.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Would be nice to see babs try stacking a line or 2.

Seems like most teams are fans of stacking a line but who's to say that is better for team success?

Still, it would've been nice if babs had tested this during the season

I totally get not wanting to do it when in a tight game where you want balance across your lineup.

But when you are losing, why not? You have nothing to lose at that point.

Reactions: Stamkos4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad