Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2 | What Is There To Even Say?

Do you think Andersen was at fault for either of Pittsburgh's goals in the 1st period

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Yea, let's keep the corpses of Marleau and Hainsey. Surely we would have been so much better.
Reily Hainsney was a proper top pairing. He was replaced with Ceci.

You can close your ears and go lalalalalalalala all you want. It won't make you less wrong

WE'RE 1000 TIMES WORSE SANS HAINSEY. hahahaah. You guys just refuse to even admit what's already proven. It's funny.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Man last year Ennis provided 12 goals playing essentially on the 4th line just in 50 games. That depth is clearly missing not to mention he played with some grit

Kapanen with all his mighty speed never scores a goal from 5 feet from the net. If he's not on a breakway you don't notice him in the game
Kerfoot, yuck. You were better of keeping Kadri and just not play him in the playoffs
I hated Connor Brown on top 6 but bottom 6, he was decent. He provided some heavy game

Watching the Pens last night, I was thinking to myself, when we grow up can we be like them?

They play such a heavy game, forecheck hard, scratch and claw their way in games. Old school hockey

Sid the Kid is jut unreal. There are those who will score 100 points in this league but Sid does so many other stuff gets lost. Kid's a born winner

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Team is still playing a million times better and has a way better record under Keefe than it did under babsuck

Not even close.

Overall the record is better but what have you done for me lately?
They are sub .500 since January 1st. That's not a tiny sample either, it's 20 games.

They have 4 wins in Feb. (Ottawa x 2, Anaheim, Arizona) versus 6 losses.

They currently have the 3rd most goals against in the league (and still falling). The loss of Reilly was big, no doubt but we all just watched Malkin last minute scratch last night for the Pens and they responded by trouncing the Leafs. Bruins last year took 2nd place overall after a number of key injuries all season. It's no excuse.

Outside of that early run when Keefe took over, they are not better, at least not consistently (the first two periods of their last game against Florida were undeniably impressive, then they folded in the 3rd as one example)

Reactions: shanwhatplan

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Last year with Babcock we were already a lock-in the playoffs. This year we are in a dogfight.

What else do I need to explain to you? There's no spinning that we're in much worse shape now than years prior. None. You'll eventually have to come to terms with your boy Dubas being an idiot. Sorry. He's the variable
So youre telling me the difference between a playoff spot is zaitsev, connor brown, marleau and kadri?
The only valuable player of those 3 is Kadri...and his production was replaced; since January 2019 last season through to when Babcock got fired the team was playing like sewer trash so your comment about being comfortably in a playoff spot is disingenous and either youre doing the purposefully in which case you're not being a fair actor in a conversation and just being a troll or youre being ignorant and not actually doing any critical thinking because muhhh using extra information BAD! YOUNG MAN GM BAD!

also the word youre looking for isnt variable....

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Wake up!!! The trend is a hard downward spiral. Forget about the first 8 games, they have been abysmal since. Get your head out of the sand.
First 8 games? Lol
We've outplayed a multitude of teams on this poor run and ended up allowing 3 goals on 4 shots in a period, sounds like bad coaching to me!

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
So youre telling me the difference between a playoff spot is zaitsev, connor brown, marleau and kadri?
The only valuable player of those 3 is Kadri...and his production was replaced; since January 2019 last season through to when Babcock got fired the team was playing like sewer trash so your comment about being comfortably in a playoff spot is disingenous and either youre doing the purposefully in which case you're not being a fair actor in a conversation and just being a troll or youre being ignorant and not actually doing any critical thinking because muhhh using extra information BAD! YOUNG MAN GM BAD!

also the word youre looking for isnt variable....
I never mentioned Zaitsev and Brown. ANd you just comepletely dodged Hainsey. Hahahaha.

Tell me more about how to debate though please :) Do i create strawmen when responded to? Letting Hainsey walk took a top pairing that was working and destroyed it. Fact. Just like he did with McBackup. fixing things that aren't broken for muh youth and it's cost us dearly in both cases.

So we're better this year than last in your books?

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I never mentioned Zaitsev and Brown. ANd you just comepletely dodged Hainsey. Hahahaha.

Tell me more about how to debate though please :) Letting Hainsey walk took a top pairing that was working and destroyed it. Fact. Just like he did with McBackup. fixing things that aren't broken for muh youth and it's cost us dearly in both cases.

So we're better this year than last in your books?
Mcbackup wasnt a leaf last year...and i think so little of hainsey that I forgot to add him, so 1 hainsey is all it took? 1 hainsey made this team 105 pts?

Was hainsey a norris calibre dman? Also Hainsey was not as good as you keep trying to make him sound last season and thats not fault of his own he was being grossly overplayed.

So just to reiterate you think that Hainsey is the reason the leafs are fighting for a playoff spot...

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Mcbackup wasnt a leaf last year...and i think so little of hainsey that I forgot to add him, so 1 hainsey is all it took? 1 hainsey made this team 105 pts?

Was hainsey a norris calibre dman? Also Hainsey was not as good as you keep trying to make him sound last season and thats not fault of his own he was being grossly overplayed.

So just to reiterate you think that Hainsey is the reason the leafs are fighting for a playoff spot...
I said letting Hainsey walk was a terrible idea. He's a stay at home d that let Reily play his game. Reily will suffer bad with him gone.

And here we are. So I can be laughed at when I say that pre-season....then laughed at again when proven right?

Just eat your crow :) It was a bad decision in a long list of them

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I said letting Hainsey walk was a terrible idea. He's a stay at home d that let Reily play his game. Reily will suffer bad with him gone.

And here we are. So I can be laughed at when I say that pre-season....then laughed at again when proven right?

Just eat your crow :) It was a bad decision
Youre not answering the question, Hainsey was so irreplaceable, he was the reason the leafs were "comfortably" in a playoff spot last year? Thats all I'm trying to understand here.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Youre not answering the question, Hainsey was so irreplaceable, he was the reason the leafs were "comfortably" in a playoff spot last year? Thats all I'm trying to understand here.
Having a top shut down pairing could 100% have us in a much better position. Throw 5 more 1 goal game wins in there. Then there's all the points we pissed away cause Dubas didn't fix the backup problem he created.

A good example of how Kyle Dubas has personally cost us many points with straight dumb moves. Fixing things that were'nt broken

Took him a year and half to address the backup. So maybe he'll get some d for 2022 and we can piss away another season with the most expensive forwards in teh game :)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That was tough to watch as Pens put on a clinic.

Really showed the gap between what contenders and pretenders look like.

The Leafs continue to embarrass themselves with their poor play and lack of effort.

Hopefully they get this turned around soon and get out of this rut before its too late and the season is lost.

Reactions: fahad203

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
First 8 games? Lol
We've outplayed a multitude of teams on this poor run and ended up allowing 3 goals on 4 shots in a period, sounds like bad coaching to me!

How have they played over the last ten games? Honestly. Played great early on but they have resorted to what they were before. This team is flawed, Dubas needs to go.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Leafs suck!! end of story. I know you guys like to come on here with your line combinations and blah blah blah. They mean nothing!! Team sucks and it all sits on Dubas's shoulders. Say what you want, he changed the team to fit his narrative, he changed the coach and this team continues to flounder and get worse. Shanny needs to clean house and it starts with the GM and let a real GM make the necessary changes. They should be off loading Barrie and others for pics and prospects. What a joke of a season.

Yeah every year we keep saying it's going to be different... get rid of Dubas and Shannahan start fresh

The Leafs just don't play as a team.... just a bunch of individual players with big contracts

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Having a top shut down pairing could 100% have us in a much better position. Throw 5 more 1 goal game wins in there. Then there's all the points we pissed away cause Dubas didn't fix the backup problem he created.

A good example of how Kyle Dubas has personally cost us many points with straight dumb moves. Fixing things that were'nt broken

Took him a year and half to address the backup. So maybe he'll get some d for 2022 and we can piss away another season with the most expensive forwards in teh game :)
So you think Hainsey is a top pairing dman?
You dont think the starting goalie allowing 3 goals in a period where the leafs allowed 4 shots is the problem?
Guess we see hockey in a different way then

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You dont think the starting goalie allowing 3 goals in a period where the leafs allowed 4 shots is the problem?
I don't think. Last year showed that clearly. Him and Reily worked great together.

You turn your d core into a steaming pile of garbage....guess what? Your goalies are goona look worse. I've always wavered on ANdys ability to handle pressure though. He's proving he doesn't handle it well. Once again ignoring the obvious variable. Which isn't ANdy. It's the Dubas built D in front of him.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Yeah every year we keep saying it's going to be different... get rid of Dubas and Shannahan start fresh

In my eyes Shanny is fine. If you give a GM a chance with his own coach, the president should have the same latitude. In my opinion Shanny has done everything well since he has gotten here. The Dubas choice has not been. Reading this team just traded another bigger player with grit that was a prospect for another 5'9'' skill player just sends me over the top. This guy is completely ******!

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
did u see how those goals went in? tap ins for the most part, no resistance from the leafs, looked like men against pee wee's

Matte99

May 23, 2010
Stockholm
I simply cant understand whats going on. They need to bring in coaching staff who knows how to play defense. Maybe they could buy an assistent coach from the Pens... or at least try to copy their play. It was annoying to see both Holl and Marincin leave players on the far side during pk last night. As if those plays never happend...

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
did u see how those goals went in? tap ins for the most part, no resistance from the leafs, looked like men against pee wee's
2 were piss poor penalty kill combined with poor positional play by the goalie
1 was santa giving penguing an early gift

Riddle me this we took some shots from in tight and powdered some one timers in that period why did their goalie make saves?

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I feel for the guy, man he looked dejected... 4 regulation wins in 18 games

I am not sure if he's faced anything like this in his coaching career. Along with the pressure of being a NHL coach, let alone being a Leafs coach

That's why I always believe that for Leafs, Canadians, Bruins, you need a strong veteran management team. Coach can be new but his supporting cast cannot

In our case, it seems both Dubas and Keefe both are new......... Neither of them faced a situation where the expectation was a championship team and now having hard time making the playoffs

They are both experienced in taking a non contender to high expectations but not other way around

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
In my eyes Shanny is fine. If you give a GM a chance with his own coach, the president should have the same latitude. In my opinion Shanny has done everything well since he has gotten here. The Dubas choice has not been. Reading this team just traded another bigger player with grit that was a prospect for another 5'9'' skill player just sends me over the top. This guy is completely ******!
Didnt he just trade for clifford and trade for muzzin last year? Or did some other gm do that? I cant remember.

Do we just want big grit guys without any skating prowess? I'm confused

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
I simply cant understand whats going on. They need to bring in coaching staff who knows how to play defense. Maybe they could buy an assistent coach from the Pens... or at least try to copy their play. It was annoying to see both Holl and Marincin leave players on the far side during pk last night. As if those plays never happend...

A different coach won't change anything. A system only works if ALL THE PLAYERS buy into it. If Matthews and Marner don't want to go into the corners or help on the defense, how do you expect the rest of the players to do the same.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad