Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 5-2 | What Is There To Even Say?

Do you think Andersen was at fault for either of Pittsburgh's goals in the 1st period

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I am just saying - it's hard to get lectured by a team that got lucky and drafted two of the top 5 players of the last 20 years.

They came with built in desire. Both had a killer instinct at draft age.

That's not coaching magic, that's not good development, that's a once in a lifetime opportunity that they somehow hit on twice.

I can stomach having St. Louis or Boston fans compare us to them and how they are better, but coming from the Pens...you start with Crosby and Malkin, and winning 2-3 cups should be the bare minimum expectation for success.
If players like Matthews aren’t at Malkins level... then why was he given pretty much the precise same post elc contract? (Same term, very similar cap percentage).

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
No coach and/or No goalie could have prevented those last 2 games. It is a personnel issue first. and 2nd it is a compete issue in the core.

How can a coach motivate an overpaid core? Especially one with kids who lack maturity. This is a very tough mandate. You can't walk in after game like Bowman did and say Mitch pack your bags we are sending you to the Marlies for a couple weeks to find your game again. and then say to Tavares look we know you are sick here so take a week off and get yourself together. and then call up 2 guys who have been brewing for 4-5 years in minors who can fill in temp. Those messages can't be done anymore under CBA and CAP system.
the kids are actually playing well for the most part , if anyone of the highly paid core is letting the team down it's the Capt who played like ass the majority of the season yet has endless excuses made for his mediocre play

we've had injuries which has affected our record but it comes down to our coach/gm and their wide open system which teams have adjusted too that is the main problem

Reactions: NikoEhlers

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
We allowed 4 shots in the secomd period...3 of them went in...

What the f***?

Also Matthews continues to play very well, it seems like only him, muzzin, hyman and sometimes willy are playing with passion

Reactions: Erdinger

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Leafs suck!! end of story. I know you guys like to come on here with your line combinations and blah blah blah. They mean nothing!! Team sucks and it all sits on Dubas's shoulders. Say what you want, he changed the team to fit his narrative, he changed the coach and this team continues to flounder and get worse. Shanny needs to clean house and it starts with the GM and let a real GM make the necessary changes. They should be off loading Barrie and others for pics and prospects. What a joke of a season.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Leafs suck!! end of story. I know you guys like to come on here with your line combinations and blah blah blah. They mean nothing!! Team sucks and it all sits on Dubas's shoulders. Say what you want, he changed the team to fit his narrative, he changed the coach and this team continues to flounder and get worse. Shanny needs to clean house and it starts with the GM and let a real GM make the necessary changes. They should be off loading Barrie and others for pics and prospects. What a joke of a season.
Team is still playing a million times better and has a way better record under Keefe than it did under babsuck

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake

They have no heart, no soul, no identity. That was all taken away from them by the kid GM. Not surprising, the same company that ruined HNIC had a major impact in ruining the Leafs. Clearly the ties that these suits wear has chocked off the flow of blood to the brain.

Reactions: daveleaf

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Overpaying a 40g/year player at age 21 by a million isn't the reason we are where we are.
But if you make a post saying “We don’t have generational players like Malkin and Crosby”, can I not ask “Then why are we paying a guy like them?”

And if we do have players like Malkin and Crosby, then why can’t we compare the leafs to the Pens?

Reactions: DueDiligence

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Overpaying a 40g/year player at age 21 by a million isn't the reason we are where we are.

He's a 50 goal scorer if he played full seasons past few years.

I rag on him but I shouldn't. He's on pace for 60 goals this season.......... I don't remember the last time a team had a potential 60 goal scorer pace and missed the playoffs

But then again, we are the Leafs. We have a way of suprising even us

Reactions: Merrrlin

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The schedule maker has really given us a great "opportunity". We strangely face Pittsburg again tomorrow, after this shit show last night, it is really quite curious to see how we react. It's like a lucky shot at redemption. If we don't show up, also means we have to blow this thing apart. What more motivation does a team need, fighting for your playoff lives, coach calls out your intensity AND you get to face the Penguins again? It's a moment, no question. Anything less than flying like possessed is a major disappointment. All jam, every shift, or just pull the plug.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
We can play a sound game for 15 minutes of a period, but the mistakes we make are completely unacceptable and do not seem correctible with this group. The chip passes into our own slot, passes into opponents skates on the breakout, no-look reverses to no one....I realize these happen in all games, but we make them way to much. The team just doesn't seem to be able to recognize a dangerous play....that or they think they can skill their way past it.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Look at the schedule under Keefe..its a cupcake schedule and were lucky to win alot of those games
Huh lucky? We played dominant in a ton of those games; the leafs were struggling ridiculously under babcock.

But maybe we shouldve kept him as coach, thrown nylander overboard and made sure our stars were playing 16 mins a night

Reactions: ToMaLe

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
lol jesus christ
I'd agree with what you're laughing at.

Marleau gone
Hainsey gone
Kadri gone

That was the heart and soul. Hyman all that remains.

Remember when everyone said Marleaus intangibles were stupid? Remember when we'd see pics of players together all the time hanging out together? Being a team. Now, all we see is pics of A showing up to practice in his hideous suit with a murse. This team is run by inexperienced poeple and it's showing.

Reactions: NikoEhlers

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
It's clear Babcock wasn't the issue...but keep pretending he was!
You're not watching the same games then; we got badly outplayed in most games under babcock this season. We've played very well under keefe so far outside of the last little stretch, and even then we held the penguins to 4 shots in the second period but were scored on 3 times...

Reactions: ToMaLe

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
You're not watching the same games then; we got badly outplayed in most games under babcock this season. We've played very well under keefe so far outside of the last little stretch, and even then we held the penguins to 4 shots in the second period but were scored on 3 times...
I remember last year when we were already a lock in the playoffs instead of freaking out wondering if we should be sellers. You're right though, this is a much better spot to be in.

I like Keefe. But he's working with a flawed team.

Ignatius Reilly

Nov 25, 2010
Team is still playing a million times better and has a way better record under Keefe than it did under babsuck

I don't think "way better" or a "million times" applies any more. They're better.

I'd be curious if anyone has the up-to-date points % for each. I suppose I could figger it out but it's a pain if someone already has them handy.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
I remember last year when we were already a lock in the playoffs instead of freaking out wondering if we should be sellers. Much better spot to be in.
I feel like you failed debate type classes in school or youre deliberately being obtuse.
The leafs lost 25% of the season umder babcock going at a bottom 5 pace, since keefe took over our record has been challenging for top in the division at times. Please explain that one away using the obtuseness youve displayed.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
I feel like you failed debate type classes in school or youre deliberately being obtuse.
The leafs lost 25% of the season umder babcock going at a bottom 5 pace, since keefe took over our record has been challenging for top in the division at times. Please explain that one away using the obtuseness youve displayed.
Last year with Babcock we were already a lock-in the playoffs. This year we are in a dogfight.

What else do I need to explain to you? There's no spinning that we're in much worse shape now than years prior. None. You'll eventually have to come to terms with your boy Dubas being an idiot. Sorry. He's the variable

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada

Wake up!!! The trend is a hard downward spiral. Forget about the first 8 games, they have been abysmal since. Get your head out of the sand.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'd agree with what you're laughing at.

Marleau gone
Hainsey gone
Kadri gone

That was the heart and soul. Hyman all that remains.

Remember when everyone said Marleaus intangibles were stupid? Remember when we'd see pics of players together all the time hanging out together? Being a team. Now, all we see is pics of A showing up to practice in his hideous suit with a murse. This team is run by inexperienced poeple and it's showing.

Yea, let's keep the corpses of Marleau and Hainsey. Surely we would have been so much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad