Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2..

hockeyfanz*

Nope, but they still scored twice. Considering that 3 or the 4 Tampa goals were weak, it was the biggest deciding factor in this game. The refs being a close second.

Both leaf goals were also weak. very weak. Tampa's goaltending wasn't much better. Overall was a pretty lousy game by both teams.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Nope, but they still scored twice. Considering that 3 or the 4 Tampa goals were weak, it was the biggest deciding factor in this game. The refs being a close second.

While what you say is valid I did not have the feeling that they could win. They looked slow and sluggish most of the time. They were consistently losing races to the puck ... esp in their own end.

I agree that Scrivens is not ready for prime time but played more or less like a backup you don't mind having over the few he has played.

I blame the Leafs Management for not having someone they trusted ready to start tonight. It is almost wacko to expect an inexperienced backup to have played in this back to back with a favourable outcome. I am not surprised he folded after a flukey bad hop . Even some vets have trouble coming back after that. But they are better prepared to do so.

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
trade Scrivens now before his value dips...again.

LA:Scrivens,Kulemin
TO:Bernier

If you take Kulemin off that line they would be in trouble. Leave stuff alone. Scrivens doesn't have that much cache in the league anyway.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
My bets are not looking good so far

Ottawa won (got that one)
Leafs lost (Refs helped there)
Montreal won (Damn...)
Hawks blew a 3 goal lead and are now in OT (crud)
The Peg won (Crap)

Rough night for this guy.:rant:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Well not like Scrivens could be outstanding all the time. Had to be human at some point. Still not like the team stepped up either here. Just have to get it together and win the next one.

The plan was just to hold out until we got guys back and that hasn't changed.

skacore

Nov 7, 2010
Crombeen such a pansy. Man up dude

Nah.... Crombeen got flat out KO'ed what, a week ago? 2 weeks tops. He's come back and dropped the gloves regularly. Him vs. Brown is a fair fight... his face was already swollen and had welts, he had no business fighting Orr as much as I would have liked to see that.

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
Nah.... Crombeen got flat out KO'ed what, a week ago? 2 weeks tops. He's come back and dropped the gloves regularly. Him vs. Brown is a fair fight... his face was already swollen and had welts, he had no business fighting Orr as much as I would have liked to see that.

Wow, didn't know he got KO'ed. SMart move to not fight Orr then. Respect for pointing that out man. :handclap:

Samsonov14

Best chimp ever
Nov 5, 2002
Wilmington, NC
Visit site
Bruins fan here. When the Bruins aren't playing, I watch the Habs or the Leafs. They're both teams that I don't really like much, but I want them to do well. Divisional rivalries are a blast.

I don't think I'm telling any of you anything you don't already know, but from an outsider's point of view, THIS LEAFS TEAM IS FUN TO WATCH. I've said for the last two years that the Leafs would make the playoffs, and each year I've been wrong. All it took was an extended slump and they were done.

The Leafs of the past few years relied on scoring in bunches. They tried to get as many goals against the other teams as quickly as possible while ignoring every other aspect of the game. It didn't work so well.

If you told me in the beginning of this year that Kessel would be playing pretty well but not scoring tons of goals and that Lupul was out and that the goaltending situation hadn't been addressed, I would have told you that the Leafs would be one of the worst teams in the league. Holy cow is this a different team.

Coaching has made an enormous difference. Even when they lose, you can see that your team has an identity. It's a team thing, a teammate thing, a total "we care about the game" thing. If I was a Leafs fan I'd be psyched and proud as hell.

Someone made a stupid "toughest team in the league" post on the main board. It was a bit premature. What is clear, though, is that the Leafs of this year are not the leafs of the past few years.

I'm not going to say that the Leafs are playoff bound this year because I may have jinxed it the last few years. What I will say is this:

1) The Leafs are fun to watch.
2) They are no longer a 1.5 line team and a one trick pony.
3) (this one hurts me) They refuse to be pushed around and will make other teams accountable for their actions.
4) (I was also completely wrong about this) Nazem Kadri might turn out to be a guy who can play an occasional NHL shift ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins come in 2nd in the Northeast. Whether that is to the Habs or the Leafs I can't predict. It's a short season so a slump here or there can make all the difference. All I know is that I want the Bruins and you guys and Montreal to make the playoffs. It's unlikely, but I have a little bit of Northeast Division pride that I'd like to see verified.

Come playoff time, we can go back to hating each other. Your team looks great. Keep on keeping on, guys. I hope you make it to the playoffs. And then once you make it to the playoffs, I hope you crash and burn like the Bruins did when they lost to the Flyers after having a 3-0 series lead a few years ago. Maybe you will win the cup the next year? The ups and downs of fandom are important.

Good luck, hockey fans of Toronto. I firmly believe that you are well on your way from being fans of a team that you used to watch with a little bit of quiet shame to being one of the best teams in the league. Kick butt in all of your games except the ones against Boston.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Bruins fan here. When the Bruins aren't playing, I watch the Habs or the Leafs. They're both teams that I don't really like much, but I want them to do well. Divisional rivalries are a blast.

I don't think I'm telling any of you anything you don't already know, but from an outsider's point of view, THIS LEAFS TEAM IS FUN TO WATCH. I've said for the last two years that the Leafs would make the playoffs, and each year I've been wrong. All it took was an extended slump and they were done.

The Leafs of the past few years relied on scoring in bunches. They tried to get as many goals against the other teams as quickly as possible while ignoring every other aspect of the game. It didn't work so well.

If you told me in the beginning of this year that Kessel would be playing pretty well but not scoring tons of goals and that Lupul was out and that the goaltending situation hadn't been addressed, I would have told you that the Leafs would be one of the worst teams in the league. Holy cow is this a different team.

Coaching has made an enormous difference. Even when they lose, you can see that your team has an identity. It's a team thing, a teammate thing, a total "we care about the game" thing. If I was a Leafs fan I'd be psyched and proud as hell.

Someone made a stupid "toughest team in the league" post on the main board. It was a bit premature. What is clear, though, is that the Leafs of this year are not the leafs of the past few years.

I'm not going to say that the Leafs are playoff bound this year because I may have jinxed it the last few years. What I will say is this:

1) The Leafs are fun to watch.
2) They are no longer a 1.5 line team and a one trick pony.
3) (this one hurts me) They refuse to be pushed around and will make other teams accountable for their actions.
4) (I was also completely wrong about this) Nazem Kadri might turn out to be a guy who can play an occasional NHL shift ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins come in 2nd in the Northeast. Whether that is to the Habs or the Leafs I can't predict. It's a short season so a slump here or there can make all the difference. All I know is that I want the Bruins and you guys and Montreal to make the playoffs. It's unlikely, but I have a little bit of Northeast Division pride that I'd like to see verified.

Come playoff time, we can go back to hating each other. Your team looks great. Keep on keeping on, guys. I hope you make it to the playoffs. And then once you make it to the playoffs, I hope you crash and burn like the Bruins did when they lost to the Flyers after having a 3-0 series lead a few years ago. Maybe you will win the cup the next year? The ups and downs of fandom are important.

Good luck, hockey fans of Toronto. I firmly believe that you are well on your way from being fans of a team that you used to watch with a little bit of quiet shame to being one of the best teams in the league. Kick butt in all of your games except the ones against Boston.
Respect. Cheers, man.

Ay29K.jpg

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Can't win em all, onto the next one.

Happy to see that Vanriemsdyk scored, and the team didn't just roll over.I like that Fraser beat up Aulie, Kadri threw down against Hedman.

I don't mind losing, but I want to see the team fight until the end, and maybe, just maybe, beat up the opposition a little bit.. to gain a little pride points back.

If were gonna lose, lets go out swinging.

The Leafs seem to be forging an identity here, but I'm not gonna be fooled, I'll wait until at least the end of the season, before I start believing.

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
Not a great game. No jump and despite the low shots against I thought they gave up more scoring chances including 2 on 1's and 3 on 2's many of them just missing the net. They also didn't show the same discipline they had all year. Yeah that was a bad goal but to blame Scrivens for the loss is to way over simplify things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad