Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2..

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Couldn't happen any sooner. I wonder how the team will look when Frattin and Lupul come back. I would hate to see Frattin go down to the minors.

There's absolutely no way Matt Frattin goes back to the AHL unless they decide he needs some conditioning after missing a few weeks.

After all we're talking about a 25 year old winger with NHL caliber size and physicality who has been a dynamite goalscorer (7G in 10GP) and formed a formidable pairing with our budding young center, Nazem Kadri.

I see the lines shaping up something like this, when completely healthy:
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-JVR
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Orr-McClement-Komarov
Ex: Brown, McLaren, Steckel

Note: I do see them easing Lupul back into 1st line minutes at the start but JVR will eventually be moved to whichever line Carlyle thinks could use his size, goal scoring acumen and solid two-way game.

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Scrivens let in too many softies tonight. Scriven's needs to find some consistency, in his game, as reimer did.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As much as Scrivens played great the previous 2 games, he definitely wasn't up to par tonight. He was left to dry on the first, and the fourth was a screen goal, but on the 2nd and 3rd goal were pretty soft.

Anyway, it was expected I guess. Not even the elite goaltenders play 3 games in four nights.

On to the next one.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
Put it in your rearview mirror boys and on to the next one. Hope they can come out strong on Thursday being a home game - they need to work on that home record.

Not the best game by Scrivens but you can't win them all. Leafs are a bubble team WITH their healthy line up so we need to temper expectations and be a bit realistic when this team falters. The good thing is that so far they've been able to bounce back well after games like these so hopefully that trend continues and they can start another winning streak. It'll be nice to have Reimer and Frattin back soon. Hopefully their injuries don't affect the groove they were in before their injury.

When the Leafs become a reliable playoff team like Vancouver or Pittsburgh, then maybe I'll start caring where other teams are in the standings. But until then, I just want to see Toronto listed somewhere in that top 8. I couldn't care less where Montreal or Ottawa is on that list. Actually, Montreal did us a favour. Rangers are under us in the standings and their loss last night maintains some separation between the two teams in the standings and allowed Toronto to keep that 6th seed...for now at least. As far as I'm concerned, better to work to keep your playoff spot than having to work to chase that playoff spot.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Pretty dull game. Win or lose this is something that we'll have to get use to.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Scrivens did hold us in there for 2 periods and I'm sure he will rebound in tomorrow's game against Buffalo but it's obvious fatigue is becomming a factor.

This condensed schedule is crazy, seldom does any team get 2 days off and with all the injuries, there are a lot of teams having problems.

Focusing and preparing for the next game, is not possible and that's a big thing, when players miss their assignments, it makes those players look bad and when you come up against a very talented team like TB on a back to back game days and add in fatigue then, these type of games happen.

We are missing 3 big elements to our team, in Reimer, Lupul and Frattin, they are all progressing well and should soon return to bolster the roster, we have been doing well without them but they will definitely help, when they return.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Our next 5 games are very winnable.

BUF
@OTT
@PHI
MON
@NYI

I'd say the Leafs win 4/5.

InterceptSchenn

Good Evening MrFrost
Jan 15, 2012
Montreal
Loss on a B2B and 3 of 4. won 6 of 8. would have liked the W, but can't win em all. Nice 2 wins thursday and saturday will make up for it. key is to avoid losing streaks.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Scrivens did hold us in there for 2 periods and I'm sure he will rebound in tomorrow's game against Buffalo but it's obvious fatigue is becomming a factor.

This condensed schedule is crazy, seldom does any team get 2 days off and with all the injuries, there are a lot of teams having problems.

Focusing and preparing for the next game, is not possible and that's a big thing, when players miss their assignments, it makes those players look bad and when you come up against a very talented team like TB on a back to back game days and add in fatigue then, these type of games happen.

We are missing 3 big elements to our team, in Reimer, Lupul and Frattin, they are all progressing well and should soon return to bolster the roster, we have been doing well without them but they will definitely help, when they return.

I'd add Gardiner to that list too. He was a key cog in our offense.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Loss on a B2B and 3 of 4. won 6 of 8. would have liked the W, but can't win em all. Nice 2 wins thursday and saturday will make up for it. key is to avoid losing streaks.

That is the most important thing in a shortened season.

We can't afford to go on prolonged losing streaks...anything higher than 3 and we're right back down to ninth.

I think we'll see a lot more from the Leafs on Thursday.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I'd add Gardiner to that list too. He was a key cog in our offense.

Gardiner is going to be a Leaf for a very long time but in the short time, evidently if he plays 3 more games, he can't be send down again to the Marlies, without going through waivers.

The Leafs also are carrying 8 defencemen and something will have to happen, before they bring him up, either a long term injury or a trade.

I think a trade may be the solution but trades at the moment, are in a Limbo state and until some are made, to get the ball rolling, it's a wait and see scenario happening, it seems everyone is talking but no one will pull the trigger.

The Blue Devil

Nov 9, 2009
Something that people aren't mentioning is Grabo and Kessel playing together in the last 2 min and had a dominating shift, no chemistry my ass.

The loss is NBD, 3 game in 4 nights and on a back-back. I love the hate Scrivens is getting though, so much *****ing for a goalie that has played excellent since Reimer went down and plays 1 not so great game after playing 3 games in 4 nights, it's called fatigue people hockey players are not immortal gods.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Something that people aren't mentioning is Grabo and Kessel playing together in the last 2 min and had a dominating shift, no chemistry my ass.

The loss is NBD, 3 game in 4 nights and on a back-back. I love the hate Scrivens is getting though, so much *****ing for a goalie that has played excellent since Reimer went down and plays 1 not so great game after playing 3 games in 4 nights, it's called fatigue people hockey players are not immortal gods.

I missed the last 2 mins, was Scrivens pulled? That may factor in why it was a dominating shift.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

They have chemistry - people like to write off the 3 or 4 games they played together two years ago as why they have no chemistry. They have had many nice goals together.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
I see the lines shaping up something like this, when completely healthy:
Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Kulemin-Grabovski-JVR
MacArthur-Kadri-Frattin
Orr-McClement-Komarov
Ex: Brown, McLaren, Steckel

Note: I do see them easing Lupul back into 1st line minutes at the start but JVR will eventually be moved to whichever line Carlyle thinks could use his size, goal scoring acumen and solid two-way game.

Dear God I love that lineup. Here's hoping to a quick and healthy recovery.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
JvR got the deflection goal last night :).

When everyone is healthy, I want to see JvR-Kadri-Frattin line..that would be amazing. Kadri would hit PPG over the year, easily.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
There's absolutely no way Matt Frattin goes back to the AHL unless they decide he needs some conditioning after missing a few weeks.

After all we're talking about a 25 year old winger with NHL caliber size and physicality who has been a dynamite goalscorer (7G in 10GP) and formed a formidable pairing with our budding young center, Nazem Kadri.

After his first 3 games (which he has played), he lost his waiver exempt status. Can't send him down now, he'd get plucked for sure.

Gardiner is 2 games away, from losing his status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad