Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 4-2..

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Kind of nice that when we lose a game, it's not the end of the world. Bad game by Scrivens. Bad officiating. Kadri played well, as per usual. Dion had a bad play that lead to a goal, but besides that he was solid.

We will benefit hugely from getting Reimer and Frattin back though

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
Respect. Cheers, man.

Ay29K.jpg

I second this. It's nice to see praise from outsider fans, gives us a refreshing view that we're not all a bunch of homers.

TML g u n n e R s*

cant win em all, onto the sabers. Need more drive towards the net and more quality shots.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416352
nice

As part of his ongoing recovery from a fractured forearm, winger Joffrey Lupul was back on the ice Tuesday morning but is still a few weeks away from returning to game action.

Also, forward Matt Frattin underwent a successful procedure to repair some issues with his knee and is likely about 10 days away from returning to the lineup.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
What's the logic in not dressing Liles during at least one of the two back to back games? When you have this many bodies, it'd be a good idea to rotate in back-to-backs...

Seems illogical when he's been playing well... trade possibly? Also, Komisarek's last game was February 2nd? If we're not playing some of our Dmen for this long of a timespan (unless there's an injury I don't know about?) I don't know why a trade hasn't occurred... I guess Nonis is waiting for a team to offer an over-payment on one of our Dmen?

RealisticLeaf55

Win it clean for J.T
Sep 28, 2010
A place
What's the logic in not dressing Liles during at least one of the two back to back games? When you have this many bodies, it'd be a good idea to rotate in back-to-backs...

Seems illogical when he's been playing well... trade possibly? Also, Komisarek's last game was February 2nd? If we're not playing some of our Dmen for this long of a timespan (unless there's an injury I don't know about?) I don't know why a trade hasn't occurred... I guess Nonis is waiting for a team to offer an over-payment on one of our Dmen?

The trade winds are blowin' Randy.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

woulda maybe been smart to get Liles' fresh legs in there tonight.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Bruins fan here. When the Bruins aren't playing, I watch the Habs or the Leafs. They're both teams that I don't really like much, but I want them to do well. Divisional rivalries are a blast.

I don't think I'm telling any of you anything you don't already know, but from an outsider's point of view, THIS LEAFS TEAM IS FUN TO WATCH. I've said for the last two years that the Leafs would make the playoffs, and each year I've been wrong. All it took was an extended slump and they were done.

The Leafs of the past few years relied on scoring in bunches. They tried to get as many goals against the other teams as quickly as possible while ignoring every other aspect of the game. It didn't work so well.

If you told me in the beginning of this year that Kessel would be playing pretty well but not scoring tons of goals and that Lupul was out and that the goaltending situation hadn't been addressed, I would have told you that the Leafs would be one of the worst teams in the league. Holy cow is this a different team.

Coaching has made an enormous difference. Even when they lose, you can see that your team has an identity. It's a team thing, a teammate thing, a total "we care about the game" thing. If I was a Leafs fan I'd be psyched and proud as hell.

Someone made a stupid "toughest team in the league" post on the main board. It was a bit premature. What is clear, though, is that the Leafs of this year are not the leafs of the past few years.

I'm not going to say that the Leafs are playoff bound this year because I may have jinxed it the last few years. What I will say is this:

1) The Leafs are fun to watch.
2) They are no longer a 1.5 line team and a one trick pony.
3) (this one hurts me) They refuse to be pushed around and will make other teams accountable for their actions.
4) (I was also completely wrong about this) Nazem Kadri might turn out to be a guy who can play an occasional NHL shift ;)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bruins come in 2nd in the Northeast. Whether that is to the Habs or the Leafs I can't predict. It's a short season so a slump here or there can make all the difference. All I know is that I want the Bruins and you guys and Montreal to make the playoffs. It's unlikely, but I have a little bit of Northeast Division pride that I'd like to see verified.

Come playoff time, we can go back to hating each other. Your team looks great. Keep on keeping on, guys. I hope you make it to the playoffs. And then once you make it to the playoffs, I hope you crash and burn like the Bruins did when they lost to the Flyers after having a 3-0 series lead a few years ago. Maybe you will win the cup the next year? The ups and downs of fandom are important.

Good luck, hockey fans of Toronto. I firmly believe that you are well on your way from being fans of a team that you used to watch with a little bit of quiet shame to being one of the best teams in the league. Kick butt in all of your games except the ones against Boston.

:handclap::handclap:

Most level headed Leafs fans will be thinking along the same lines as you - that there is lots of optimism and reason to be positive.

Unfortunately the panic-stricken and the pessimists represent the vocal portion of our fan base.

But great post - as has already been mentioned, it's always great to hear an outsider's perspective. A bit coy on the Bruins not winning the Northeast thing; I expect the Habs to cool off, and the Bruins to get in there and win the thing again. They are the best team in the division. While it is a shortened season, 40ish games is still enough time for a team's quality to shine through.

On a related note - I'm going to the Leafs game on Thursday. In season's past, I've generally never really been excited at the chance of going. Fear of losing, the team just not being interesting to watch etc. But this will already be my third home game of the season, and I'm super excited because yeah - this team is fun to watch.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Seems illogical when he's been playing well...

Irony, anyone?

He hasn't been all that great.

I think the team (rightly) has much higher expectations of him. He's looked indecisive and uncomfortable at times this season. I think that's why the decision was made to pull him out of the lineup.

Plus - coming off a shutout night in Florida, where your team gave up so few quality scoring changes.. do you really make a change to your team or your blue line after that? I'm not convinced that you do.

Liles will get back in at some point.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416352
nice

As part of his ongoing recovery from a fractured forearm, winger Joffrey Lupul was back on the ice Tuesday morning but is still a few weeks away from returning to game action.

Also, forward Matt Frattin underwent a successful procedure to repair some issues with his knee and is likely about 10 days away from returning to the lineup.

Couldn't happen any sooner. I wonder how the team will look when Frattin and Lupul come back. I would hate to see Frattin go down to the minors.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Irony, anyone?

He hasn't been all that great.

I think the team (rightly) has much higher expectations of him. He's looked indecisive and uncomfortable at times this season. I think that's why the decision was made to pull him out of the lineup.

Plus - coming off a shutout night in Florida, where your team gave up so few quality scoring changes.. do you really make a change to your team or your blue line after that? I'm not convinced that you do.

Liles will get back in at some point.

I never said he's been great, but he's been playing well enough to be on a team with no actual PMDs... Also, when it's a back to back I do think it is wise to change your lineup so that you can get fresh bodies/legs in your line-up...

Penalty Kill Icing*

Tough loss. Let's hope team shakes it off.

Every year, Leafs can't get over it and go on losing streak.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
relax ya they lost tonight and yes scrivens was AWFUL 4 goals 14 shots is simply not good enough. BUT they have won 6 of 7 coming into tonight and overall scrivens has been great

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Having one more scoring forward would be a huge help to this team, having Orr on the 3rd line isn't right (even though he's been playing well, he should be on the 4th line).

For the next game, assuming Frattin isn't back early I'd like to see:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - Komarov
MacArthur - Kadri - Ashton/Hamilton
McLaren/Orr/Brown - McClement - McLaren/Orr/Brown

or maybe try:

Kulemin - Kadri - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Komarov
MacArthur - Bozak - McClement

Gives us 3 lines, all decent defensively with some scoring capability (I was going to put JVR on the first line and Kulemin on the 2nd, but I think this gives us the best mix of offense and defense).

Another possibility is switching MacA with Komarov... either way the 3rd line should be used as a shut-down line and the 1st/2nd for offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->