Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He is done by the looks of that last post, I think he read your post and there was no comeback lol
Lots of legit critiques on here, Babs deserves scrutiny. Many things he does I question too, but I've found that's the case with every coach we've had, so perhaps that's instructive. Some have agendas and never miss an opportunity... that's the stuff best ignored and it mostly comes from the type of people you try to avoid at a party.

Babs is a good coach, an excellent motivator and big picture development guy. Ain't perfect, but happy to have him here.

Reactions: Cobra777 and frog

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Lots of legit critiques on here, Babs deserves scrutiny. Many things he does I question too, but I've found that's the case with every coach we've had, so perhaps that's instructive. Some have agendas and never miss an opportunity... that's the stuff best ignored and it mostly comes from the type of people you try to avoid at a party.

Babs is a good coach, an excellent motivator and big picture development guy. Ain't perfect, but happy to have him here.
I question this! Why do our players seem to show up late to get into the game? The opposing teams scoring the 1st goals of the games consistently, leaves me to wonder just how good a motivator Babcock really is?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I question this! Why do our players seem to show up late to get into the game? The opposing teams scoring the 1st goals of the games consistently, leaves me to wonder just how good a motivator Babcock really is?
When fellow coaches have commented on Babcock, they always cite his ability to motivate as one of his greatest traits. These are also professional athletes, and if they can't get up for a game, blaming the coach is an easy dodge. There's also the wider narrative of motivating these guys to get better, become more consistent...his handling of someone like Marner for instance has been great imho, and we're seeing the 200 foot finished product starting to emerge.

Reactions: Cobra777

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
When fellow coaches have commented on Babcock, they always cite his ability to motivate as one of his greatest traits. These are also professional athletes, and if they can't get up for a game, blaming the coach is an easy dodge. There's also the wider narrative of motivating these guys to get better, become more consistent...his handling of someone like Marner for instance has been great imho, and we're seeing the 200 foot finished product starting to emerge.
Any online interviews to support this claim?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Please leave farm animals out of this. They are a vital source of sustenance.
Factory farming is destroying the planet faster than anything else brother.
We could have really used some of that prime Babcock motivation for the first 2 games against Boston last playoffs. His handling of Marner has been ok for the most part, but he was one of the best PP producers in the league last year and he could barely buy 2:30 of PP time last year.

That's what a lot of these pro-Babcock types do. Apparently young players can only punished but not rewarded. They just look the other way when the Babcock logic contradicts itself. Why was Marner not rewarded with more PP time for absolutely killing it?

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
The first two games the Leafs put their talent ahead of their work and looked awful against basement dwellers. Then they put in some hard work and won 4 more in a row. They just spent the last two games trying to rely on talent and losing just about every battle they could. The effort needs to be there, which is why the coach is playing the guys who put in effort every shift. The boys need to play better and Babs needs to get Marleau off of Matthews line.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Look, I haven't seen, or better yet heard, any opposing coaches praising the virtues of Babcock. What I have seen is Babcock getting out coached regularly. Again, JMHO.
Okay, you know more than people who get paid in this league. Great. And the good news, you'll find an armada of like minded folk online. Doesn't mean anything though, sort of like my opinion.

Reactions: White Shadow

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Factory farming is destroying the planet faster than anything else brother.

We could have really used some of that prime Babcock motivation for the first 2 games against Boston last playoffs. His handling of Marner has been ok for the most part, but he was one of the best PP producers in the league last year and he could barely buy 2:30 of PP time last year.

That's what a lot of these pro-Babcock types do. Apparently young players can only punished but not rewarded. They just look the other way when the Babcock logic contradicts itself. Why was Marner not rewarded with more PP time for absolutely killing it?
We went up against a seasoned team last year in the playoffs, guys with rings. Yes, we weren't ready, but we coasted down the stretch and we faced a chiseled opponent, hardly a shock. Its Babs fault that Freddy stunk to start, Matthews was invisible and we looked like a young core finding their way? That was truly surprising? Did Stevie Y look good initially in the playoffs, was that bad coaching or part of the process?

I'll alter my view of Babs if we're sitting here in two years and we've done squat in the playoffs. As far as I'm concerned things are going quite well to date, now we are looking for next steps. These guys better be ready for the playoffs, they learned the hard way, like most teams did prior to winning. There is nothing unique here.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Okay, you know more than people who get paid in this league. Great. And the good news, you'll find an armada of like minded folk online. Doesn't mean anything though, sort of like my opinion.
Okay, so you don't know of any available online interviews where opposing coaches describe Babcock as a great motivator. Got it.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I have coached several sports ,children and adult ,all amateur to be sure! Still some similarity at any level can be observed though!
For instance,the teams that were really good (favorites) with really good players(league leaders) were easy to coach and successful. Not so much a feather in my cap ,but I didn't screw it up either!
The only time I felt like I had any real input ,is when coaching a team obviously lacking in talent and ability ! Getting players to believe they can win,strategy,looking to exploit the oppositions weakness,etc. is all a bit of fun! Expectations need to be realistic though!
I believe Babs is an Intelligent man! Right now he has the horses to pull this wagon a long way,should they not perform well,then he needs to be involved, and earn his pay! He is in control of the reigns,the spurs,the whip,all of it! Expectations are high this year,right or wrong,they are high!
Win a playoff round at the very least,or two even and all will be good!

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Okay, so you don't know of any available online interviews where opposing coaches describe Babcock as a great motivator. Got it.
Why is it my job to educate you? Prove me wrong, go do your own research, I've already heard and read what I've said, you're not my professor I need to source for...and besides whether you agree couldn't be more irrelevant to me, obviously you have no idea how well respected this guy is around the league, by his peers.

Lucky to have him, warts and all.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Give Mathews 2 more minutes of ice time people complain that Tavares is playing 2 minutes less than he used to. We have 3 centers capable of playing 20 minutes a game like wtf
Matthews is one of the best players in the league, and best player on the team. He should be getting 21 minutes plus, Tavares around 19, Kadri shouldn't be getting the same amount of time as them.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Look, I haven't seen, or better yet heard, any opposing coaches praising the virtues of Babcock. What I have seen is Babcock getting out coached regularly. Again, JMHO.

have you heard babcock praising the virtues of other coaches?
no.
because they don't do it unless they are specifically asked, and it's usually "he's a good coach."

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Give Mathews 2 more minutes of ice time people complain that Tavares is playing 2 minutes less than he used to. We have 3 centers capable of playing 20 minutes a game like wtf
I think we should run these guys into the ground in October, that's a winning formula on a team with the best center depth in the league. I'd be double shifting, early season hockey is when it matters, we will all remember this moment in March.

Reactions: frog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad