Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
These comments are ridiculous. You want to break down Matthews by playing over 20 minutes per game on a high tempo game this early in the season? I remember last year Kadri mentioned Barkov average ice-time of over 22 minutes and he said that it is absolutely over kill and it is. We have the luxury to afford to balance the ice-time between our three center man and a couple of losses shouldn't change it.

Reactions: frog and DarkKnight
Feb 24, 2004
LOL OMFG this guy ^^^ and replace him with who?

Go on i'll wait

Anyone who doesn't value gritty old guys over talented younger ones.

Oh and also anyone who doesn't botch line matching on a routine basis.

Oh and also anyone who doesn't require that the most talented offense in the league try 60 foot stretch passes on each breakout.

Reactions: smitty10

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
It's too bad there is no system where a coach can be "benched" for a few weeks and someone else can get to coach the team..
and compare the results...
At least then we might have something to go on..
And I'm only half kidding..

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
At least we're not Ducks fans right now.

Those guys are watching peak Carlyle hockey.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's too bad there is no system where a coach can be "benched" for a few weeks and someone else can get to coach the team..
and compare the results...
At least then we might have something to go on..
And I'm only half kidding..
There is this weird system where they get fired and a new coach comes in? A good way to compare results is to see who is still in the league. What's Dallas Eakins up to?

Reactions: White Shadow

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
have you heard babcock praising the virtues of other coaches?
no.
because they don't do it unless they are specifically asked, and it's usually "he's a good coach."
I understand that coaches rarely discuss the virtues of their peers, however, DarkKnight claimed that another coach has praised Babcock for being a good motivational coach. I just asked him if he knew of any online interviews supporting this claim. I would have liked to see, or read the interview, that's all.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
2 of those three times he did it in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013... (and those years he averaged over 24 mins)
Ok whatever, So back to my point...Why?

I dont see what benefit it would be to push the guy to the limit in October with a superstar center and star center on the same team.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
After 9 games this season, the only really worrying thing for me is that by most metrics this team has played very mediocre 5v5. Can't really rely on the power play because like the Pens game, you never know when the refs are just gonna swallow their whistles. I'd don't want them to go the Carolina route and just launch everything at the net because that's not how Corsi works lol, but I think this team can really improve in their neutral zone play. We allow opposing teams way too easy entry into our zone and as mentioned since like last year our breakouts need work. There was a play last night where Hainsey had the puck in our zone near the blue line and he was just waiting for the winger in front of him to get open at the opposing blue line so he could send a pass up to him. However for like 5 seconds Hainsey was looking directly and only in that direction, completely telegraphing the pass he wanted to make until finally he made it and it was intercepted. I don't know if it's a personnel issue or a coaching issue, but I'd like the team to be a little more aggressive in the neutral zone.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
giphy.gif

Paragraphs would be helpful. ;)
yeah sorry I typed it in haste very late 3:00 or 4:00 a.m

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
2 game losing streak... How will we ever recover?

Love the diehard fans that never see problems that begin to manifest themselves. Stop the 2 scorers and you win. Not one d'man is worth keeping and the goalie will let in at least one he should have stopped. Coach brings down the team no matter what they do and no chemistry to speak of. Not making plans to stay in town in May.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Just watched the game. That's two straight games where the opposition just sits back and doesn't give up anything in the neutral zone and it works against this team. Boring and frustrating to watch. Neither the Blues nor the Pens did much offensively.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Love the diehard fans that never see problems that begin to manifest themselves. Stop the 2 scorers and you win. Not one d'man is worth keeping and the goalie will let in at least one he should have stopped. Coach brings down the team no matter what they do and no chemistry to speak of. Not making plans to stay in town in May.

Well this is overly pessimistic. Not one d-man worth keeping? Really? We’ve also already won a game where JT and Matthews didn’t score.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
You're right, a two game losing streak in all important October is more meaningful when make definitive comments about our team. It's a process, and I'm certainly not persuaded by the clown posse laying any blip on the coach. We're 6-3, chill.
This, also Our only offense has been Mathews, Marner, Tavares, Kapy, Reilly and Hainsey, the rest are snake bitten just for now, Pitts and the Blues blanketed these guys and Marner had a couple games where he made mistakes and didn't drive the line fluently like normal, that is expected some times. Mathews looks lost sometimes without Nylander and Tavares also had average 2 games. That is where the rest must pick it up no one else can seem to score so far as well as lack of 60 min of effort. The 4th line has been the only one with diligent puck pursuit and fore check, I'm confident this will change but the finger pointing and blame game is OUTRAGEOUS. We acquired a great player in Tavares but on paper still the same team other than a premier center, stop listening to all the pundits stating we are favorable to winning the cup this year, it is undue speculation, this team is still a work in progress.
We went from total garbage to witness watching one of the most exciting teams every game in a few short years, next step is filling the remaining holes.

Reactions: DarkKnight

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
edmonton
Well this is overly pessimistic. Not one d-man worth keeping? Really? We’ve also already won a game where JT and Matthews didn’t score.

As I said before, I believe the problems are just beginning. Time will tell. I could be wrong. As I have stated before, I believe the braintrust vision is flawed.

Good luck to all the diehard Leaf fans. I think they'll need it.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Factory farming is destroying the planet faster than anything else brother.

We could have really used some of that prime Babcock motivation for the first 2 games against Boston last playoffs. His handling of Marner has been ok for the most part, but he was one of the best PP producers in the league last year and he could barely buy 2:30 of PP time last year.

That's what a lot of these pro-Babcock types do. Apparently young players can only punished but not rewarded. They just look the other way when the Babcock logic contradicts itself. Why was Marner not rewarded with more PP time for absolutely killing it?
What coach do you want? how many coaches have we been through? we have been in the playoffs the last 2 seasons when in a full rebuild, it takes many more years to make post season.
We are ahead of the game the whole league agrees we have one of the most exciting up coming teams to watch, we are still not there in personnel yet but every one is already calling for the coaches head and so on, he has proved himself a good coach in Detroit making consistent post season as well as international and Olympic hockey yet everyone just grumbles about everything, no wonder why no body wants to come here in the past.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
And, this year I agree, it's a coaching travesty that Matthews leads all Leafs forwards in even strength time. Babs should play him more, first is last.

Last edited:

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
And, this year I agree it's a coaching travesty that Matthews leads all Leafs forwards in even strength time. Babs should play him more, first is last.
yep, I dunno Dark we lose 2 and reading all the comments we should axe this guy that guy, this guys is too small, that guy is too slow, Dubas this, Babcock that, we have come far in a short period of time, yes we need a couple good physical stable D men they dont have to be stars, and a couple puck hungry, fore check, fair sized strong wingers to replace some of ours that just don't do these things. Acquiring these shouldn't cost the world because they don't have to be stars just players who are hungry a mission. I see plenty of these on other teams making adequate salaries.

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
yep, I dunno Dark we lose 2 and reading all the comments we should axe this guy that guy, this guys is too small, that guy is too slow, Dubas this, Babcock that, we have come far in a short period of time, yes we need a couple good physical stable D men they dont have to be stars, and a couple puck hungry, fore check, fair sized strong wingers to replace some of ours that just don't do these things. Acquiring these shouldn't cost the world because they don't have to be stars just players who are hungry a mission. I see plenty of these on other teams making adequate salaries.
Before the first game thread I asked if anyone didn’t think we would lose 2-3 in a row a couple times, go 3-5-2 or something for a stretch this season. Nobody thought we wouldn’t, so given that’s a given, teams ebb and flow in a season, the fact people still lose their minds every time it happens is quite curious. We’re 6-3, good start...now let’s get better, which we will.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad