Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I don’t understand Babcocks logic when down ina game. Instead of giving his stars like Matthews, Tavares, Marner and Kadri extra ice time he resorts to playing his rl gud pros more. It’s like sorry guys, you lost the game already

NHL.com - Stats

NHL.com - Stats

What sticks out the most with how Babcock distributes ice-time compared to last year's cup winners the Capitals?

Their 4 best offensive guys are all well over 18 minutes a game, and all 4 play more than our best guy. Babcock basically takes ice-time from our stars and gives them to the Connor Browns and Leo Komarovs of the lineup.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
What I think is stupid is someone who has no formal training whatsoever to not only call a hall of fame coach stupid but to actually think its stupid to agree with a stanley cup winning coach over your opinion gained from watching hockey games on your tv.

Its like a passenger telling a 20- year airplane pilot who has already won airplane-pilot-of-the-year and international-airplane -pilot-of-the-year how to fly a plane because he saw other pilots fly planes differently on T.V. even though he has never been behind the actual controls.

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with any NHL coach but its annoying when people almost brag at how much smarter they are and how stupid he is as a coach. Put in your 2 cents if you want but if I put in my 2 cents dont say it is stupid

No, it's not like that. At all. It's just like I said, you're so stuck in your appeal to authority mindset that you can't see the forest for the trees. You don't NEED "formal training" to identify errors the coach makes. A simple comparison with other men in his field can paint a very valid picture when you take everything into consideration.

Reactions: Bluesfan1

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
NHL.com - Stats

NHL.com - Stats

What sticks out the most with how Babcock distributes ice-time compared to last year's cup winners the Capitals?

Their 4 best offensive guys are all well over 18 minutes a game, and all 4 play more than our best guy. Babcock basically takes ice-time from our stars and gives them to the Connor Browns and Leo Komarovs of the lineup.
The thing is, Connor Brown doesn’t even provide the physical presence that Leo did, and doesn’t have the same impact on the game.

I like Brown, he’s a good Toronto kid, and is responsible in all situations but he isn’t a top 6 guy by any means whatsoever.

We’re a team with enough skill to win when our guys are allowed to play to their strengths. We do need some size and physicality however.

Someone like a Chris Kreider/Boone Jenner or even a guy like Brandon Saad would do wonders on this roster.

If it were up to me we’d roll the top 9 and play the 4th Line 5-6 minutes a night and load it with enforcers like in the Carlyle days. We don’t need 4th Line scoring, we need guys who can go out and scare the opposition and open up the ice

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
No, it's not like that. At all. It's just like I said, you're so stuck in your appeal to authority mindset that you can't see the forest for the trees. You don't NEED "formal training" to identify errors the coach makes. A simple comparison with other men in his field can paint a very valid picture when you take everything into consideration.
he has always been like that. all he can do is follow, like sheep. incapable of observing and forming his own opinion. Babcock is coach so must always be right, everyone else is wrong. like you say pure stupidity!

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
JT was a bit better but both him and Matthews have been bad in these two losses. Could also use Kadri waking up

I thought Tavares was, by far and away, our best player v. Pittsbugh. He had 4 sog and some crazy good chances he set up too.

Agreed he was almost invisible last night.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
he has always been like that. all he can do is follow, like sheep. incapable of observing and forming his own opinion. Babcock is coach so must always be right, everyone else is wrong. like you say pure stupidity!
I don't know why. Atleast make a f***ing attempt to see what's on the other side. I swear to god Babcock could scratch Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly for the next 10 games and these people would still be valiantly defending him and say it's all 4D chess that us mere mortals will never understand.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I don't know why. Atleast make a ****ing attempt to see what's on the other side. I swear to god Babcock could scratch Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly for the next 10 games and these people would still be valiantly defending him and say it's all 4D chess that us mere mortals will never understand.
lol no kidding.....

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
I don't know why. Atleast make a ****ing attempt to see what's on the other side. I swear to god Babcock could scratch Matthews/Marner/Tavares/Rielly for the next 10 games and these people would still be valiantly defending him and say it's all 4D chess that us mere mortals will never understand.
I just used logic and you are using your opinion.. Mathews played 35 seconds less than Crosby the game before and you are comparing it to him being a healthy scratch. We are getting that worked up about 35 seconds less icetime than Sidney Crosby? Or is pittsburghs coach stupid as well.

Reactions: White Shadow

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Why are you quoting pace now? It's next to meaningless because how quickly it can flactuate so early in the season. Lose next game and the pace drops to 98 points. Which is not terrible, but just shows you how much it can fluctuate. I think this team is really good but there are some glaring issues that need to be fixed. Coaching to me has not been good enough, and also too many passengers on the team.
You're right, a two game losing streak in all important October is more meaningful when making definitive comments about our team. It's a process, and I'm certainly not persuaded by the clown posse laying any blip on the coach. We're 6-3, chill.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cobra777

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I just used logic and you are using your opinion.. Mathews played 35 seconds less than Crosby the game before and you are comparing it to him being a healthy scratch. We are getting that worked up about 35 seconds less icetime than Sidney Crosby? Or is pittsburghs coach stupid as well.
All coaches are dumb. If you cannot see that you are a sheep. I should know, I have watched hockey all my life. Usually from my couch but sometimes from a bar.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Technically you are the one being a sheep considering the popular opinion on this board is Babcock is an idiot. I am going against what everyone else is saying by stating he knows what he is doing more than emotional leaf fans.

Babcock runs his team for the long-term, he runs his team playing mind games, and rewards heart and effort over skill.. Some of these leaf fan suggestions help in the short-term but do nothing for the long-term. Thats his coaching mindset, if a line struggles its up to the player to work themselves out of it, start rookies on the 4th line, if Mathews wants to be so good he has to settle with having Marleau or Hyman. I see the big picture of what he's doing not the short-term... None of our star players are going to develop into pansies, they are going to have to work hard... Sure for fun if you want me to disagree with him I will say I dislike Marincin and hate how Babcock keeps him around.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
Technically you are the one being a sheep considering the popular opinion on this board is Babcock is an idiot. I am going against what everyone else is saying by stating he knows what he is doing more than emotional leaf fans.

Babcock runs his team for the long-term, he runs his team playing mind games, and rewards heart and effort over skill.. Some of these leaf fan suggestions help in the short-term but do nothing for the long-term. Thats his coaching mindset, if a line struggles its up to the player to work themselves out of it, start rookies on the 4th line, if Mathews wants to be so good he has to settle with having Marleau or Hyman. I see the big picture of what he's doing not the short-term... None of our star players are going to develop into pansies, they are going to have to work hard... Sure for fun if you want me to disagree with him I will say I dislike Marincin and hate how Babcock keeps him around.
unlike you i observed and formed my own opinion on that, like i said something you are incapable of..

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016

I'm not a Marincin fan either and if I had to guess I'd say Babcock isn't either. It probably pains him to have to insert Marincin over Dermott, but you have to send the message. Play harder and win more puck battles or don't play.

Watch how hard Dermy comes out after his benching.

Reactions: frog

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The same guys in here whining about Babcock complained all last season also. They blame Babcock for the loses and goals against and do not give him credit for the wins and goals for ...

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017

Marincin was put on waivers last year because Babs didn't want him anymore. He isn't here because Babs loves him, he's still here because nobody wanted him for free and our new GM liked him down with the Marlies. That's not to say Babs doesn't see some value, but he's already dumped him, so it's not like he's enamoured. Marincin even up in the press box is really a testament to our lack of depth more than anything.

Just a quibble, rest of your commentary spot on.

Reactions: frog

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So if the problem is Babcock what would you do better than him? This game mathews played almost 18 minutes a few games ago he played over 20 minutes. Sometimes thats what just what happens with ice time. Are you saying that Babcock isnt as smart as you because you would play mathews 19 or 20 minutes every single game instead of 18 minutes sometimes and that would be the difference. Or would you play him like 21 or 23 minutes. I'm trying to figure out if the 1-2 minute difference of ice time is what makes people think Babcock an idiot or smart.
Why can other superstars play 21-23 a night but ours can’t?

Matthews is averaging 18.25. That’s pathetic imo

Reactions: ToMaLe

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
The same guys in here whining about Babcock complained all last season also. They blame Babcock for the loses and goals against and do not give him credit for the wins and goals for ...
not true, i have actually called babcock the first star of the game before, when he for once actually did some in game adjustments and turned the game around for a win when before that we were doing nothing.

Last edited:

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Why can other superstars play 21-23 a night but ours can’t?
My guess is the Sports Science & Performance department gets a lot more say on our franchise than many others. Considering their Spurs experience, I am good with it.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
My guess is the Sports Science & Performance department gets a lot more say on our franchise than many others. Considering their Spurs experience, I am good with it.
Their managing of Hainsey and Andersen were especially terrible. Our best players also weren't even close to as good as Boston's, so it might be time to try something better

Reactions: KapG and ToMaLe

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
If you think about it... it was the throwing of waffles years ago that triggered the drastic changes in the organization. So let’s bring them back. A stinker like that at home? Throw waffles.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
not true, i have actually called babcock the first star of the game before, when he for once actually did some in game adjustments and turned the game around for a win when before that we were doing nothing.

So what did babcock do differently in the last 2 loses compared to the 6 wins this season?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Their managing of Hainsey and Andersen were especially terrible. Our best players also weren't even close to as good as Boston's, so it might be time to try something better
Is disappointment in a 3 seed losing to a 2 seed going to be your epitaph? That horse is glue already.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
So what did babcock do differently in the last 2 loses compared to the 6 wins this season?
as Bowman used to say, when things look wrong, changes wont take long. in the 6 wins the lines were clicking, the defense were doing crisp passes more then the long pass attempts, less dump ins by forwards, they entered the zone with short passes. last 2 games lines were doing nothing, long passes not working, dump and chase over and over. if not working, adjust!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad