Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 4-1. Feel Shame.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
yep, I dunno Dark we lose 2 and reading all the comments we should axe this guy that guy, this guys is too small, that guy is too slow, Dubas this, Babcock that, we have come far in a short period of time, yes we need a couple good physical stable D men they dont have to be stars, and a couple puck hungry, fore check, fair sized strong wingers to replace some of ours that just don't do these things. Acquiring these shouldn't cost the world because they don't have to be stars just players who are hungry a mission. I see plenty of these on other teams making adequate salaries.

Agreed, but where's the deal. Honestly, JT is a great player, but did we really need him before we got the other roles filled. Thought we had a pretty potent offense last year. Clearly he would be the icing on the cake but we don't have the cake yet, not even a brownie. And, I don't care what most people seem to believe, Freddy is not a Stanley Cup goalie. He proved it last year.

Reactions: TML11

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Agreed, but where's the deal. Honestly, JT is a great player, but did we really need him before we got the other roles filled. Thought we had a pretty potent offense last year. Clearly he would be the icing on the cake but we don't have the cake yet, not even a brownie. And, I don't care what most people seem to believe, Freddy is not a Stanley Cup goalie. He proved it last year.
We were losing Rymsdyke and Bozie, two guys only noticed when they scored some games, many nights public skating not noticed in the game. Getting another premiere center who is noted for his work ethic and offense makes us stronger down the middle another step towards the goal, If we had of acquired a premiere defense man instead you still wont win anything with the centers we had, in Mathews a rookie and Kadri.
We acquired the best player available at an also important position we still have a way to go with the blue line, and I agree Andersen is Fantastic reg season but lets some easy ones in post season when it matters most, but the whole team is young and inexperienced including the net minder who is also learning post season play. You definately need a hot goalie but your team also has to show up as well.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Before the first game thread I asked if anyone didn’t think we would lose 2-3 in a row a couple times, go 3-5-2 or something for a stretch this season. Nobody thought we wouldn’t, so given that’s a given, teams ebb and flow in a season, the fact people still lose their minds every time it happens is quite curious. We’re 6-3, good start...now let’s get better, which we will.
yep I agree we have a good team no doubt, my only concern would be against the heavy fore check clog the neutral ice teams, you have to dig in and win puck battles and take a hit to make a play to overcome that, I hope the boys are willing to get their noses dirty against such teams.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
Tampa Bay just outshot Chicago 34-5 in the second period.... they had 34 shots in the second period alone. NHL record.
can we trade systems plz

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
We were losing Rymsdyke and Bozie, two guys only noticed when they scored some games, many nights public skating not noticed in the game.

JVR was a statue, good on the PP but useless up and down the ice. Always liked Bozak but easily replaced. I absolutely hate the D and you agree with me in goal. Still think you can't put the star on the top until the rest of the tree is decorated; weak management decisions. But then again, don't like the coach or GM.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Anyone who doesn't value gritty old guys over talented younger ones.

Oh and also anyone who doesn't botch line matching on a routine basis.

Oh and also anyone who doesn't require that the most talented offense in the league try 60 foot stretch passes on each breakout.

I'd prefer names, not the easy way out of "Anyone thats does blablabla"

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
We got physically outclassed in this game. WC teams just play a different style man.

They legit instilled fear on our D-man with the hits they were throwing. Such an aggressive and mean team.

Leafs, for the most part, looked shook. This team needs some more size and physicality

Reactions: bigtim1988

Bluesfan1

Let's go Blues
Mar 22, 2018
Kansas
That's just it, they lost a lot of games last year where they should have been able to win. It continues this year with losses to Ottawa and St. Louis!

St. Louis came into tonight's game ripe to be beaten! Instead, they look far better tonight than their record thus far shows!
They are far better than their record with all the additions and subtractions it’s gonna take time to gel they looked more like the team we were expecting this year I was however surprised at the leafs play I thought they were gonna be a hard out that game I was also surprised your top line played as little as they did Yeo out coached Babcock in that one which doesn’t happen much for us I like Yeo but I’m not happy with some of his coaching decisions I think the leafs are gonna be just fine this year this game was an aberration for them in my opinion

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
After 9 games this season, the only really worrying thing for me is that by most metrics this team has played very mediocre 5v5. Can't really rely on the power play because like the Pens game, you never know when the refs are just gonna swallow their whistles. I'd don't want them to go the Carolina route and just launch everything at the net because that's not how Corsi works lol, but I think this team can really improve in their neutral zone play. We allow opposing teams way too easy entry into our zone and as mentioned since like last year our breakouts need work. There was a play last night where Hainsey had the puck in our zone near the blue line and he was just waiting for the winger in front of him to get open at the opposing blue line so he could send a pass up to him. However for like 5 seconds Hainsey was looking directly and only in that direction, completely telegraphing the pass he wanted to make until finally he made it and it was intercepted. I don't know if it's a personnel issue or a coaching issue, but I'd like the team to be a little more aggressive in the neutral zone.
Lol I guess Tulloch thought the same thing.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Lol I guess Tulloch thought the same thing.

Jesus Christ what was he thinking would happen?

Granted, it doesn't look like he had too many options. Everyone was covered and he had a man on him. In that situation he'd probably have been better off skating it up until he forced a Blues player to leave his man and then he as an open guy, or skate up to the red line and dump it, or even better, skate it in the whole way. I don't think Hainsey has the capabilities to do any of that though.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hainsey cant skate so strategy employed by Blues was great. Cut centre off from outlet. Cut off Rielly for dump off pass. Then force the stretch pass which gets picked off.

If Hainsey could skate up ice with puck then Blues centre has to help on Hainsey check which opens up Matty for pass.

Or Hainsey is strong enough to absorb hit and throw off checker and then bring it up.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Hainsey cant skate so strategy employed by Blues was great. Cut centre off from outlet. Cut off Rielly for dump off pass. Then force the stretch pass which gets picked off.

If Hainsey could skate up ice with puck then Blues centre has to help on Hainsey check which opens up Matty for pass.

Or Hainsey is strong enough to absorb hit and throw off checker and then bring it up.

Slightly different situation, but here's an example of Oz just skating it out since the forecheckers are giving him room.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Thats what i said earlier the defense must be given the green light to skate it up themselves. But if they get caught the centre must fall back to protect against the 2 on 1.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
JVR was a statue, good on the PP but useless up and down the ice. Always liked Bozak but easily replaced. I absolutely hate the D and you agree with me in goal. Still think you can't put the star on the top until the rest of the tree is decorated; weak management decisions. But then again, don't like the coach or GM.
I agree somewhat but premiere centers are very hard to find, his work ethic, leadership, and offense was a perfect fit to add to Mathews and Kadri down the middle, when teams are strong down the middle usually equal very good success, I know the D needs, but in a cap era it can be slower acquiring said help than most of us like, too bad the mega deals and swaps are not a reality like days in the past like the Gilmour. McCoun etc big swap deal ala 93 I believe, man hockey fans were treated large to another fun dimension of the game in those years.
Trade deadline and July were also very exciting, now not so much, everything is slow, meticulous and tedious.
All the cap was meant for was parity in the league, pre cap while being the richest team in the league I fully agree management was horrendous, man we could have bought a Stanley cup contender but the front office was too cheap and dumb. I can remember numerous elite players being available at trade deadlines and July 1st in those many years and we never got them.

Last edited:

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
These comments are ridiculous. You want to break down Matthews by playing over 20 minutes per game on a high tempo game this early in the season? I remember last year Kadri mentioned Barkov average ice-time of over 22 minutes and he said that it is absolutely over kill and it is. We have the luxury to afford to balance the ice-time between our three center man and a couple of losses shouldn't change it.
I learned, in this thread, that most posters are better NHL coaches than Babs and would do a much better job coaching the Leafs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So, the Jets did to the Blues what our Leafs could not do! Go figure!

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
So, the Jets did to the Blues what our Leafs could not do! Go figure!
Jets played physical.

Referring to the title, I would only feel shame if I were one of the posters who predicted the team would go 82-0, or score 5 goals every game, or score 400 goals this season, or....

member 262271

As someone who believes in the "Babcock is implementing the, hey let's play defense now" thing. Doesn't it seem a bit early for this? Andersen needs the offense in October. Makes me feel like I'm probably wrong about it and the Leafs just ran outta juice early.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Jets played physical.

Referring to the title, I would only feel shame if I were one of the posters who predicted the team would go 82-0, or score 5 goals every game, or score 400 goals this season, or....

I agree, this thread title sucks. We played poorly but it was our first truly disappointing performance of the season and we're 6-3 overall so shame is definitely an overreaction, not an appropriate word to use here at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad