Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I say similar things sometimes but you are absolutely right. Goaltending is part of the team's performance, not a separate thing that can nullify or carry it.

The only time you really deserve to win a game that you lost is when things outside your team's control directly cause it.
Same with coaching decisions. You can't make unforced errors against a top team and expect to get away with it, no matter how good the rest of your game is

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
That’s not what I said. You made An over the top post trashing one of our team leaders. It’s been 4 games. Breathe.

I’m no stranger to emotional outbursts but at least I save mine for the playoffs. Leafs played well last night, no reason to start hating on our own guys.
When a player holds out for an extended period, in order to maximize his take home pay, and thus, reduces the team's ability to pay other players that are, and will be, necessary to remain a competitive team, it pisses me off.

The least Marner can do, 4 games into the season or not, is to show up and EARN his new inflated salary EVERY SINGLE GAME. I don't hate Marner, and, I still will cheer him as a Toronto Maple Leaf player, however, I reserve the right to HATE the greed he has showed, and, expect him to always SHOW UP in every game to play hard!

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Same with coaching decisions. You can't make unforced errors against a top team and expect to get away with it, no matter how good the rest of your game is
lol who knows. Maybe leaving your top PP unit out for that extra 30-40 seconds leads to that tying goal or another goal that possibly puts you up in the game.

Reactions: weems and ToMaLe

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
It was timely goaltending that won them the cup. They played 26 out of a maximum 28 games to get there. That doesn't sound much like breaking anyone's will.

Lots of things have to go your way to win a Cup, if it was simply Binnington (at this point I recommend checking his post season stats) then the Blues wouldn't have won. He was clutch in key moments so I can certainly understand why he gets as much credit as he does. He and Berube were the 2 biggest factors and I think most Blues fans would probably agree with that but the skaters absolutely broke the will of every PO opponent and it was clear to see for anyone who actually watched the games. It was very similar to how LA played in 2012. Relentless, heavy and out working everyone 5v5.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Lots of things have to go your way to win a Cup, if it was simply Binnington (at this point I recommend checking his post season stats) then the Blues wouldn't have won. He was clutch in key moments so I can certainly understand why he gets as much credit as he does. He and Berube were the 2 biggest factors and I think most Blues fans would probably agree with that but the skaters absolutely broke the will of every PO opponent and it was clear to see for anyone who actually watched the games. It was very similar to how LA played in 2012. Relentless, heavy and out working everyone 5v5.

We are forever grateful for you guys defeating Boston in game 7 :D

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I don't believe the first words you would hear if you interviewed anyone from any team they beat was "They broke our will"
Note that I said timely goaltending. He was absolutely clutch in key moments.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Didn't read past the first page.

What an embarrassment from some posters.

Game 4, people.
Sure, it's only 4 games, however, tendancies from the past are clearly still evident. This is unacceptable, especially if the trend continues.

The kids are no longer on their entry level deals and are now very highly paid. They need to show up to play hard every single shift of every single game.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
I still can’t believe that Will Ny wasn’t on the ice in the final 2 minutes last night when he was arguably our best forward in the game.

......... Wait, I just remembered who our coach is.

Disregard.

It was probably his best game in a year and a half, and how does he get rewarded? Planted on the bench the whole time we had the goaltender hauled. For a guy that keep preaching, if you do good things you get rewarded, you never see it. This clown of a coach is so full of chit it’s not even funny. Christ he needs to go.

Reactions: freshwind and IPS

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I don't believe the first words you would hear if you interviewed anyone from any team they beat was "They broke our will"
Note that I said timely goaltending. He was absolutely clutch in key moments.

Well of course not, who would actually admit that? You could ask the Sharks that question and they would probably tell you Ivan Barbashev is a baby eating demon. What they wouldn't mention is that the Blues destroyed them 10-1 in games 5 and 6 and they folded like a cheap tent.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Sure, it's only 4 games, however, tendancies from the past are clearly still evident. This is unacceptable, especially if the trend continues.

The kids are no longer on their entry level deals and are now very highly paid. They need to show up to play hard every single shift of every single game.
I agree with most of your posts this morning but we haven't seen the best yet from this team (hopefully). although they should be an elite team on talent alone, it doesn't work that way.

We are poorly constructed and it will work against us eventually. There needs to be more balance (Plumbers, grit, skill) and most of us here have been clamoring for it for a couple of years now. We get the usual push back about not needing meat heads even though nobody is advocating "meatheads". We need bruisers to control the boards and lift our skilled players a few inches. The treatment and beating that JT gets is abysmal, cannot be tolerated.
This ridiculous schedule hasn't helped either. do not underestimate the power of 3 games in 4 nights and 4 games in 6 nights.

You could see a loss coming on Saturday from a mile away especially with a back up goalie. They made a game out of it but eventually gassed out.

Reactions: Bomber0104 and Al14

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Can't even be mad about last night's game. Leafs played really well. Had a post, couple of open nets missed and close calls.

St. Louis' goalie was the difference maker.

They're Champs for a reason and Binny played well, but we were with them step-for-step and Freddy definitely had an off night. You can still smell that first goal and there was a stat during the game that flashed how many 5-hole goals he has allowed in so far, and it was like 1-4-1 or something; he's gotta clean that up as the book is getting out there where to go.

Goals in the last minute of any period are back-breaking and that one hurt real bad.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree with most of your posts this morning but we haven't seen the best yet from this team (hopefully). although they should be an elite team on talent alone, it doesn't work that way.

We are poorly constructed and it will work against us eventually. There needs to be more balance (Plumbers, grit, skill) and most of us here have been clamoring for it for a couple of years now. We get the usual push back about not needing meat heads even though nobody is advocating "meatheads". We need bruisers to control the boards and lift our skilled players a few inches. The treatment and beating that JT gets is abysmal, cannot be tolerated.
This ridiculous schedule hasn't helped either. do not underestimate the power of 3 games in 4 nights and 4 games in 6 nights.

You could see a loss coming on Saturday from a mile away especially with a back up goalie. They made a game out of it but eventually gassed out.

TBH (and I hate to say it), this is the biggest question for me about this team - how big a problem is it that we lack toughness? I like to think it's not that a bid deal but I dunno, might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Reactions: kb

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Well yes, but if you go off of flow of play and chance creation, we win that game more times than we lose.

Exactly, if all people do is concentrate on the L, they completely overlook that this was the best game they've played this year. St. Louis played well, but the Leafs still managed to out chance them. That's no small feat against a team of that caliber.

Reactions: robertmac43

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

We clamour for grit, and then half of the same people are crapping on a guy like Hyman. I'm not saying it's you.

Reactions: kb

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
We clamour for grit, and then half of the same people are crapping on a guy like Hyman. I'm not saying it's you.
ha ha thanks Hound, no it most certainly is not me. I appreciate his status on the team and what he brings. In the old days we had the Zezel's Berg's and Osbournes to do the dirty work. Hyman is of that mold and very necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad