Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's too much talk of a lack of grit. We took Boston to 7 games last year and were arguably the better team throughout the series. That was without Kadri for most of it. That was with a struggling Nylander on the 3rd line instead of the 1st where he belonged. That was with a far worse D than we have this year. That was with a worse 4th line than we have this year.

I don't know if we'll win a playoff series or not, but if we don't, it's not due to lack of grit. We outhit Boston. We were right in that series despite the issues I mentioned above. If we had played any other team in the 1st round, we likely win the series. If Kadri doesn't get suspended, my guess is we beat Boston, and from there who knows what kind of damage we could have done.

Scoring goals wins games, not being gritty. Our guys have shown they can get the puck from the other team and put it in the net. That wins games. Whatever amount of grit we do have, it's enough to win plenty of games.

The Leafs should start adding a little more grit and size and stop wasting time making this into a philosophical debate whether we're playing a new age game or not. Our big pieces are in place and grit and size just makes them harder to play against in all situations. The Washington Capitals basically wasted a decade trying to win with skill, skill, skill, and then eventually evolved into a heavier, meaner, grittier and better balanced team. Let's just cut to the chase...

What do I mean by this? A guy who is playing a role like Kapanen for example should feel comfortable finishing a check instead of attempting the pick pocket stick check. If you're Auston Matthews and you can pull off that kind of play, fine. But our middle class citizens need to be able to use physical play as part of their arsenal because they need to be trying to get that puck back at a high rate.

You watch San Jose, Vegas, St. Louis, and that kind of grit is the bare minimum effort.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You have to be a natural at the NHL level and pace.

That isn't Kapanen. You could never teach him to process and react quicker.

Kapanen is best in a torpedo role, but his lack of finishing hits limits his forechecking effectiveness. His cycle game is non existent, so that needs to be developed.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Kapanen is best in a torpedo role, but his lack of finishing hits limits his forechecking effectiveness. His cycle game is non existent, so that needs to be developed.
And the troubling thing is that was the same flaws that he has had at the NHL level since he arrived. I'd love to see some progress. I don't see the process implementation that will lead to the progress in his game.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
So...how many 'naturals' do you figure are playing in the NHL presently?
Kapanen's a natural with his speed. He's anything but with his processing of the game. Which cannot be taught. Sandin has hockey IQ, if you want to see what it looks like. Kapanen has all the better physical tools. But Sandin will forever be the better player.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Kapanen's a natural with his speed. He's anything but with his processing of the game. Which cannot be taught. Sandin has hockey IQ, if you want to see what it looks like. Kapanen has all the better physical tools. But Sandin will forever be the better player.
The 'processing of the game" can most certainly be taught! I see you skipped over the question in regard to who you think are naturals in the NHL. Most professional athletes will tell you that they are students of the game and are constantly learning and looking for ways to improve. But why would you believe them? Perhaps you can learn as well.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
That happened four times. Not exactly much of a sample size. Blues were also the only team to give up more than 2 SHGA that playoffs. I'm not even sure if any of the other teams won their games where they allowed a SHGA. Neat stat, but a weird one to argue is proof that STL had another gear that other teams didn't have.

They had another gear; all their losses in the playoffs were blowouts and it should have been demoralizing but the entire team took the opposite mindset and came out the next game relentless. That kind of attitude is their extra gear and is hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad