Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
ha ha thanks Hound, no it most certainly is not me. I appreciate his status on the team and what he brings. In the old days we had the Zezel's Berg's and Osbournes to do the dirty work. Hyman is of that mold and very necessary.
It's amazing how many times you'll find a line with a 50 goal score on one side, have that Osbourne 'get dirty lunch pail' worker on the other.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
There's too much talk of a lack of grit. We took Boston to 7 games last year and were arguably the better team throughout the series. That was without Kadri for most of it. That was with a struggling Nylander on the 3rd line instead of the 1st where he belonged. That was with a far worse D than we have this year. That was with a worse 4th line than we have this year.

I don't know if we'll win a playoff series or not, but if we don't, it's not due to lack of grit. We outhit Boston. We were right in that series despite the issues I mentioned above. If we had played any other team in the 1st round, we likely win the series. If Kadri doesn't get suspended, my guess is we beat Boston, and from there who knows what kind of damage we could have done.

Scoring goals wins games, not being gritty. Our guys have shown they can get the puck from the other team and put it in the net. That wins games. Whatever amount of grit we do have, it's enough to win plenty of games.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
It's amazing how many times you'll find a line with a 50 goal score on one side, have that Osbourne 'get dirty lunch pail' worker on the other.
yes indeed Moon. remember Kariya, Selanni had the third wheel of Rucchin digging those corners and standing in front.

mikelb7

Dec 20, 2008
The past two losses have been tough, you'd ideally want to see the team pick up more points in both of those games. With that said, I think this team has looked far better than any of the past three years. The main factor (to my eyes) is the stretch pass is almost completely gone (with the exception of Rielly, more on him later). The Leafs are finally breaking out in a controlled and organized manner. I get the Babcock hate entirely (and have my own concerns with him) but the way the team has played so far is quite different than what we've seen to date in the 34/16/88 era. I think Babs deserves a lot of credit for this shift in style. Yes, PP1 should be getting more time but that's an easy adjustment to make (side note, I like Marner on the LW for the PP but I don't think that unit will be as effective as it could be if Mitch keeps on shooting this much).

Regarding the new additions: I have really liked Mikheyev, Kerfoot and Barrie's games so far. Barrie in particular. While not as straight-line fast as Rielly, I think he is more agile/shifty, has better "hockey IQ"/situational awareness, a better shot and a far more active stick than 44. Barrie looks and skates like a defenceman who frequently joins the rush, whereas Rielly looks like a forward who's stuck playing defence. I can understand the Kerfoot hate to a certain extent but that third line has arguably been our best forward unit so far (outside of Matthews' dominant play). This is probably due moreso to Moore and Mik but Kerfoot certainly hasn't held them back.

Regarding the old guard: Andersen, Kapanen, Marner, Tavares and Rielly have to be far better. Yeah yeah, October Freddy and all. But take the playoffs into consideration and I think there could be some concerns as to whether he's the guy to take us on a Cup run. Stretches of dominant play but stretches of terrible play as well. Kapanen is clearly lost at LW but he is likely the best option we have without breaking up the third line (which I think would be a mistake) until Hyman comes back. Marner and Tavares will get going eventually, we all (should) know that Mitch is a notorious slow starter. To me though, Rielly has been the most disappointing player so far. Soft defensive play and he's (still) consistently blindly firing the puck out of the D-zone (side note #2: I REALLY don't miss Zaitsev and Hainsey). He's been making poor decisions when rushing/distributing the puck since training camp. Ceci hasn't been amazing or anything but this is about as bad as I've seen Rielly look since 16/17 when he was paired with Zaitsev. Not sure what's up with him but he's gotta turn things around for this team to reach its potential.

Either way, this season is young, this team is young and they're clearly embracing a more effective play style. I'd much MUCH rather the team go through its warts in October to December than in February to April. Everyone on the edge needs to take a step back and realize the season is barely 5% done... too much hockey left to be played before any conclusions can be drawn. Go Leafs Go!

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Remember we are still two tiers better on the injury reserve this isn't our best lineup and we're still here. Plus almost better then a ten dollar bet one upgrade at the deadline. Ottawa nuking an asset for one of our prospects and a 3rd.

member 300185

I was never on the fire Babcock bandwagon....until now. He is making house league mistakes with improper player management. And get rid of that dumbass GM while you're at it. And Shanny made a mistake handing him the reins with absolutely no NHL experience negotiating contracts. He got bent over....3 times. Must be getting sore.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I was never on the fire Babcock bandwagon....until now. He is making house league mistakes with improper player management. And get rid of that dumbass GM while you're at it. And Shanny made a mistake handing him the reins with absolutely no NHL experience negotiating contracts. He got bent over....3 times. Must be getting sore.
I highly doubt Dubas is like a kid with an online fantasy team. Every decision is going to being gone over by an entire management team.

member 300185

I already sick of this crap. Someone needs to jump down the throats of all the high priced pansies we have on this team. EARN YOUR FREAKING PAYCHECK!!

Reactions: Al14

member 300185

I highly doubt Dubas is like a kid with an online fantasy team. Every decision is going to being gone over by an entire management team.
Um....nope. He has said on different occasions that he is the guy in charge of contracts. Are you kidding? An "entire" management team would not have allowed this.

Reactions: AllHeartNoSkill

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
yes indeed Moon. remember Kariya, Selanni had the third wheel of Rucchin digging those corners and standing in front.

It's exaggerated, but Gretzky had Semenko on one wing for the rough stuff while Kurri skated on the other.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I think that Dubas wanted to fire Babcock after last season but Shanny wouldn't allow it. I don't know, nobody here really knows either but that's the way I see things. I do think that you don't get all your coaching staff replaced being 100% safe in your job as head coach. Coaches that are not on the hot seat, don't get their entire assistant coaching staff replaced.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
I think that Dubas wanted to fire Babcock after last season but Shanny wouldn't allow it. I don't know, nobody here really knows either but that's the way I see things. I do think that you don't get all your coaching staff replaced being 100% safe in your job as head coach.

That’s exactly how I saw it too. When Dubas released the statement announcing Babcock was safe he ended it with “... and that’s because reality of it.” I know that’s really putting his words under a microscope but people usually use that phrase when they have to accept a situation.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I think that Dubas wanted to fire Babcock after last season but Shanny wouldn't allow it. I don't know, nobody here really knows either but that's the way I see things. I do think that you don't get all your coaching staff replaced being 100% safe in your job as head coach. Coaches that are not on the hot seat, don't get their entire assistant coaching staff replaced.
Shanahan brought Babcock in and I don't think he's ready to admit to the world that he made a mistake in doing so.

It's an ego thing.

Reactions: Legendary

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
He hasn't though. You can't teach hockey IQ.

Kappy's skating can be taught by Barb Underhill. It won't generate quite the speed as a Kappy, but she can teach you techniques and modify your stride to make you significantly better. I'd take a guy a little slower than Kap but who can change pace, make plays, and finish goals.
What a ridiculous notion! Of course you can teach hockey IQ... What do you think coaches do,exactly? Walk around blowing a whistle? Kappys dad was an NHL player ,he grew up around and has been influenced by all kinds of hockey people. Yes,he isn't McDavid,but he has ability and speed to burn. That' guy you would take'...would be who exactly....Marner? He kinda expensive!

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
not as sore as you are apparently...maybe see a proctologist to get that enormous bug out of yer arse!

Reactions: Ciao

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
Watching Caps-Stars game. Caps PP1 unit on the ice for 1:30...must be nice. Babs should take note.

Reactions: Al14

kb

Aug 28, 2009
What a ridiculous notion! Of course you can teach hockey IQ... What do you think coaches do,exactly? Walk around blowing a whistle? Kappys dad was an NHL player ,he grew up around and has been influenced by all kinds of hockey people. Yes,he isn't McDavid,but he has ability and speed to burn. That' guy you would take'...would be who exactly....Marner? He kinda expensive!
No, you can't teach the ability to mentally and spatially process situations in an instant repeatedly, which is the essence of hockey IQ.

You are born with it or not. You can't develop it. It's like saying he can be taught to be 3 inches taller.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
No, you can't teach the ability to mentally and spatially process situations in an instant repeatedly, which is the essence of hockey IQ.

You are born with it or not. You can't develop it. It's like saying he can be taught to be 3 inches taller.

It's amazing we've not seen more than one of 99, 66, 4, and 9 in our lifetimes...I mean, just teach these kids hockey IQ and voila, am I right? :sarcasm:

Reactions: kb

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Really underselling the value of coaching/teaching here! Ever been a coach? Or taught anything? Or maybe you yourself have had the pleasure of being taught something you didn't know or were able to get better at something because an instructor pointed out things to you. Or maybe you are self taught,where you practiced until you got real good!

Ok...some people are naturals at stuff ,to be sure! However,I have been a coach in a few different sports,I have instructed others on how to perform tasks in a better fashion...So ,I cannot be convinced that people cannot get better at something. We haven't seen the best of Kappy yet...even if it is Babs doin' the teachin"!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
It's amazing we've not seen more than one of 99, 66, 4, and 9 in our lifetimes...I mean, just teach these kids hockey IQ and voila, am I right? :sarcasm:
Yep, every player just needed the right coaching, and everyone could have done as well as them!

Reactions: Superstar

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Really underselling the value of coaching/teaching here! Ever been a coach? Or taught anything? Or maybe you yourself have had the pleasure of being taught something you didn't know or were able to get better at something because an instructor pointed out things to you. Or maybe you are self taught,where you practiced until you got real good!

Ok...some people are naturals at stuff ,to be sure! However,I have been a coach in a few different sports,I have instructed others on how to perform tasks in a better fashion...So ,I cannot be convinced that people cannot get better at something. We haven't seen the best of Kappy yet...even if it is Babs doin' the teachin"!
You have to be a natural at the NHL level and pace.

That isn't Kapanen. You could never teach him to process and react quicker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad