Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It may be in their DNA, but it still doesn't guarantee victory for them.

If the Leafs try to "out Blues" the Blues, they will lose - badly. It's not their game. Pittsburgh won many cups their own way. There is no one surefire way to win. The Broad Street Bullies were wiped out by the skillful Habs in the mid to late 70's. Oilers won many cups. It's the hottest team that will win that particular playoffs, not the toughest team.

I wouldn’t put the Leafs in the same sentence with those Champions. They weren’t good enough to win one round in real life.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I’m not sure
Look at it this way. Since Dec.01 2018, the Leafs have lost more games than they have won. Small sample size so far this season, but if the trend continues through November you can bet the media will be firing shots.

Based on their schedule it’s not out of the realm to think they’ll be hovering around 500.

GardinerTheForward

Mar 23, 2014
Toronto (NHL Season)
Watch Freddie on that 3rd St. Louis goal. Terrible.
The first goal was a shot from the top of the circle ... he should have had it.
We did not give St. Louis much tonight ... they just scored every time.

Freddy has two types of games: Really good or really bad.
He's a great goalie ... just not clutch.
I don’t agree about the third goal. He took long time to slide across because he was screened and couldn’t track it

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
8 new players in the lineup and only lose 3-2 to the champs!!! Pretty impressive when you take into consideration we outplayed them 5 vs 5. We lost this game because their goalie showed up and ours didn't. Good game to watch, and I was impressed overall by how the Leafs held up against a big team like St. Louis.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I agree this is the right approach but another first round exit would be horribly disappointing and it would feel like a wasted year with this team.

I have to admit that I'm a bit worried that we are not going to be able to maximize the talent on this team.

The true test of this team will come when its depth comes into play when injuries occur.. Right now we're seeing essentially the full roster expect Hyman and Dermott.

The Montreal game the Leafs played poorly, but this game the Leafs played a really strong game.

Leafs team have weaknesses but coaching is not one of them. The Blues play a much bigger heavier physical game in the playoffs and that is a style I worry our Leafs will match up against well.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The true test of this team will come when its depth comes into play when injuries occur.. Right now we're seeing essentially the full roster expect Hyman and Dermott.

The Montreal game the Leafs played poorly, but this game the Leafs played a really strong game.

Leafs team have weaknesses but coaching is not one of them. The Blues play a much bigger heavier physical game in the playoffs and that is a style I worry our Leafs will match up against well.

Sure thing Mess, whatever you say. :rolleyes:

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I don’t agree about the third goal. He took long time to slide across because he was screened and couldn’t track it

There was no reason at all to sprawl across on his stomach like he did on that 3rd goal. He misplayed that puck all along. Had he slid across in a butterfly it would have been an easy save. And don't give me he didn't read the play. If you watch it again, you will see that he was there in plenty of time he just decided to play a Hasek!!!! Tried the spectacular instead of easy save!!!

To be honest everyone harps on Hutch's play against the Canadiens. At least he made the easy saves and didn't cost us a game. Goal against Columbus was his fault, yesterday was ugly, and game against Ottawa wasn't clean either. Andersen needs to pick up his game. To me he is back to his bad starts that he is known for in his career. If I were Babcock, start Hutch more in October and November until Andersen wakes up from his yearly Danish sleep!!!!

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I wouldn’t put the Leafs in the same sentence with those Champions. They weren’t good enough to win one round in real life.
Yet. Most didn't win the Cup in their first couple of go arounds either, and having the NHL's first and second overall teams in your division is something no one else had to go through.

Just as an example, St. Louis has averaged 104 points per full year over the last 8 with 3 first round losses, 2 second round losses, and one missed playoffs. They have played a consistent style the whole time. Goaltending was the main reason they won, not hitting.

Reactions: Smif

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Yet. Most didn't win the Cup in their first couple of go arounds either, and having the NHL's first and second overall teams in your division is something no one else had to go through.

Just as an example, St. Louis has averaged 104 points per full year over the last 8 with 3 first round losses, 2 second round losses, and one missed playoffs. They have played a consistent style the whole time. Goaltending was the main reason they won, not hitting.

Goaltending is a must. You obviously didn’t watch them in the playoffs .

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Nope, but they didn't play a team like the Leafs in the playoffs last year either, in all fairness.

The Leafs would have lost to last year's Blues team just like every other team did, no one was stopping them. They consistently broke every teams will as the series went on and I don't think the Leafs would have been any different.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The Leafs would have lost to last year's Blues team just like every other team did, no one was stopping them. They consistently broke every teams will as the series went on and I don't think the Leafs would have been any different.
It was timely goaltending that won them the cup. They played 26 out of a maximum 28 games to get there. That doesn't sound much like breaking anyone's will.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
It was timely goaltending that won them the cup. They played 26 out of a maximum 28 games to get there. That doesn't sound much like breaking anyone's will.

When the Blues won 100% of the time if the OTHER team scored a SHG and when the Blues would come right back and destroy a team after getting destroyed? That can break another teams will. The one thing the Blues had going for them was their sheer relentlessness that was unmatched in the playoffs.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
When the Blues won 100% of the time if the OTHER team scored a SHG and when the Blues would come right back and destroy a team after getting destroyed? That can break another teams will. The one thing the Blues had going for them was their sheer relentlessness that was unmatched in the playoffs.
And I saw a lot of evenly matched games that were decided by goaltending.

To each their own though.

Reactions: GoldenSeal

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I still can’t believe that Will Ny wasn’t on the ice in the final 2 minutes last night when he was arguably our best forward in the game.

......... Wait, I just remembered who our coach is.

Disregard.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

That happened four times. Not exactly much of a sample size. Blues were also the only team to give up more than 2 SHGA that playoffs. I'm not even sure if any of the other teams won their games where they allowed a SHGA. Neat stat, but a weird one to argue is proof that STL had another gear that other teams didn't have.

Reactions: kb

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I still can’t believe that Will Ny wasn’t on the ice in the final 2 minutes last night when he was arguably our best forward in the game.

......... Wait, I just remembered who our coach is.

Disregard.
Worth noting that Nylander is absolutely freaking killing it in his limited ice time. He's been either our best or 2nd best forward to start the season.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why undeserved? It was absolutely deserved. A couple weak goals from your goalie and some majorly stupid bench management are things that can cost you a game. It costed us the game.
I say similar things sometimes but you are absolutely right. Goaltending is part of the team's performance, not a separate thing that can nullify or carry it.

The only time you really deserve to win a game that you lost is when things outside your team's control directly cause it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad