Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 to the rangers in Shootout, steals a point.

Crispy Crust

Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Another pathetic shootout. This time, Kadri and Bozak didn't even shoot. Looked like they went halfway with the puck, then just lost all hope and gave up. I didn't even watch Grabovski's, by then I'd changed the channel.

Also, way to show your weakness and your lack of desire to win, Dion. I mean who holds the puck behind their net when there's 11 seconds left to go in the third.

Leafs really need to work on their shootouts. No skill at all...

He played that like anyone else would. 11 seconds left with the puck is in the D-zone and a very important point on the line.

Kessley Snipes*

Also, way to show your weakness and your lack of desire to win, Dion. I mean who holds the puck behind their net when there's 11 seconds left to go in the third.

jaguar-fan-gif.gif

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga

Out of all the things to complain about .. LMAO :biglaugh:

I only have one thought about this game:

--> SHOOT THE DAMN PUCK! I don't know why they kept trying to make the perfect play and find the perfect pass when it clearly wasn't working! When in doubt throw it on net and crash the crease! Henrik Lundqvist likely had one of his easiest games of the year, he practically went full periods without having to even touch the puck :shakehead

Three Stars:
Star #1: Phil Kessel (This man came to play tonight. He is just so dynamic when he is on his game)
Star #2: James Reimer (Made some huge saves, can't fault him on yet another shootout loss)
Star #3: Dion Phaneuf (30:31 TOI +1 4hits. Had a solid yet very subtle night)

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Another pathetic shootout. This time, Kadri and Bozak didn't even shoot. Looked like they went halfway with the puck, then just lost all hope and gave up. I didn't even watch Grabovski's, by then I'd changed the channel.

Leafs really need to work on their shootouts. No skill at all...

Bozak tried to go 5-hole, it was pretty obvious - don't see how that's a "give up."

And yeah, the point was important so...

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Anything more hilarious than obsessive Grabo bashing on a night the coach says he played well let me know.
Well said.

Mindrust, anyone sensible would've done that. The Rangers were dominating our zone. It made a lot of sense to delay the game and at least earn a point. Also, Dion played like a beast. He was the best player on ice defensively. That "bone-headed" penalty is why we need scrappy defenceman like Girardi on our team.

Dion in Calgary, should-win-Noris, used to wander in the offensive zone as if he had nine lies. Now, on the other hand, he's very responsible and has bailed out us consecutively. You need to be willing to "cheat" a little, wear out the opposition. Good bottom-pairing guys know how to "cheat" and just irritate the opposition.

This is why I love Komarov. We need more guys like him, especially on our blue line. O'Byrne isn't too bad, and could represent a decent bottom pairing but isn't really mean. The fact that Franson, Gunnars, and Liles aren't gritty, mean, and will win by any means necessary is a big let down. Do remember, Eric Lindros, despite being extremely dirty, is considered one of greatest to play the game. We definitely need guys who could do it without being penalized. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I fully agree with this. Good thing that 5.5M price tag does not guarantee playing time as it was too often before. Grabo is not better than other centers, so he finds himself down on dept chart and with cut ice time. Play better and climb back...

Yep, if you deserve the ice time, or earn it. RC will play you. No doubt about it, he wants to win and is not doing anything vindictive here. It would be silly to get fired not using your best players, thus he has used Bozak, Mcclement, Kule, Kadri, guys he can trust a lot this year.

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
Honestly guys, as a Rangers fan, Grabovski is the second most dangerous guy with the puck on your team. The guy is a 1 man show by himself. I know he's frustrating sometimes but all it takes is 1 move with him and its in the net. He almost scored at the end of regulation there. I held my breath.

Most dangerous guys with the puck on the Leafs IMO
1.Kessel (I call him uno)
2.Grabovski
3.Kadri (needs to bulk up and will become a force soon)

I'm rooting for you guys, great pair of games, good luck the rest of the way fellas.

LEAFSIN4

Jan 14, 2013
Honestly guys, as a Rangers fan, Grabovski is the second most dangerous guy with the puck on your team. The guy is a 1 man show by himself. I know he's frustrating sometimes but all it takes is 1 move with him and its in the net. He almost scored at the end of regulation there. I held my breath.

2.Grabovski

I'm rooting for you guys, great pair of games, good luck the rest of the way fellas.

there is nobody on our team that can turn it on like grabo in OT. He's a sick player, just needs someone to clear space for him on his line... hasn't had a player do that for him since Mac's early days in T.O.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton

2.Grabovski

Thanks for the comments.

Although the list can be a bit different from my side I agree with it, definitely agree with Kessel as the number one.

Cheers and all the best to you guys

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
The Rangers flat out suck. The way they win hockey games is a flagrant abuse of the sport itself. When they play, there's no skating. All it is is a bunch of guys chipping the puck around and bear hugging all day while the officials cash their cheques from MSG.

As you guys love to say...I ain't even mad

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

2.Grabovski

Someone is clearly watching the games. This is what I like to hear. :)

Since we know that Kessel is our potential 100 pt guy, I think we need to understand Grabovski. His ability to keep the puck in the opposition zone is not very common. In short, he's going to very special whether on the Leafs or elsewhere. He plays much bigger than his size and is a heart and soul player. One who can play as a shut down player and has lot more potential in the offensive side as well. I am not a fan of trading him for a bag of pucks.

As for Kadri, yes, he's almost like a perfectionist. I am not going to go all homer and suggest that he's the next Joe Sakic. However, he does tend to over think and to do that in the NHL, you need to be much stronger. He has to be much stronger on his skates, learn how to protect the puck and use his speed/ intelligence to improve his defensive coverage. I think, like Grabovski, he could be a guy that scores essential goals.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
Grabovski on Randy Carlyle:
"He no like me. He say i can play with the big guys, I thought he mean Kessel and JVR. But no, Orr and McLaren. They fight, me skate, no pass puck."

bobg1

Sep 21, 2006
bc
Kinda hate Grabo and his useless poker face. Wish he had bothered going to the net instead of swooping around with those lame passes.

His body language is all wrong. Looks like he's feeling bad about the loss before he even half ***** it.

Sucks sucks sucks.

Did you see him splitting the d-men? and that's QUITTING?

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
All of this Grabovski hate seems just flat out moronic to me. He is in a situation in which he is a bad fit for the team that Carlyle wants to construct. While he would likely be better off with a fresh start somewhere else next year, I think he is capable of coming up with a hot hand in the playoffs, and if he does, that will make the Leafs even more difficult to play against. I wouldn't quite throw the baby out with the bath water just yet.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
good effort, but we're paying a bit for Carlyle going with an increasingly defensive lineup.

the top line is getting their minutes and points, but the kadri line and Liles are getting very few minutes, while guys like Frattin and Gardiner (and of course lupul) are not even dressed.

it's hard to score 3+ goals a game when you don't play your offensive players.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
How did everyone feel about O'Byrne in his second game? I didn't really hear much about him during the game, which for a defensive d-man is a good thing to have a quiet game

IMO his ability to make the first pass and his puck movement skills will be the big factor if he stays in the line up regularly or if Gards will come in .. ROB definitely brings a steady physical presence on the back end but one reason why Gards was brought up was because the Leafs puck movement game from the back end had stalled when they were in that funk last month

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
O'Byrne was decent again, but we have to notice that with his addition, the Liles-O'Byrne pairing has become our 3rd pairing.....which means less icetime for Liles.....and maybe more importantly more icetime for Fraser and Franson.

Not sure how that's going to work out for us.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
Gonna quote my friend from another hockey site who said this:

Alright Kessel we know you've scored 2 goals tonight but listen, I just have a feeling about this Grabovski kid who hasn't scored in about 15 games, who was demoted to the 4th line, and was almost reponsible for losing the game in the first couple of minutes of overtime. We're sending him out as our 3rd shooter

Now I'm not one to rag on Grabo because he also had an awesome rush late in the 3rd but Kessel has been on fire the past couple of games, why wouldn't he shoot?

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
Gonna quote my friend from another hockey site who said this:

Now I'm not one to rag on Grabo because he also had an awesome rush late in the 3rd but Kessel has been on fire the past couple of games, why wouldn't he shoot?

Kessel hasn't done well in the shootout either. Maybe RC wanted to reward Grabo with something after putting him in the doghouse?

Let's put it this way. Bozak is the only leaf that scored on a shootout this year... he's like 3/5, the rest 0/19.. how's that even possible. I just did the quick math in my head, since bozak was 3/4 and the rest were 0/17 before this game.

Basically, it really didn't matter who RC chose. It's still the same result. Last shootout or 2 shootouts back, I don't remember, RC went as far as sending Franson & Phaneuf out. If I recall correctly. Still nothing. I remember people were whining about how Grabo wasn't sent out. I think this whole thing about complaining about who RC sends out on the shootout is something that's going to happen no matter who he actually sends out. and hence why i don't care one bit. send out orr and mclaren for all i care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad