Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 to the rangers in Shootout, steals a point.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
It was an ok game the leafs had an uneven effort. MacClement played way too much which is worrysome. RC doesn't seem to value or understand puck possession and zone entry stats. This spells bad news for guys like Gardiner, Kadri, Colborne Grabbo and even Rielly next year.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
It was an ok game the leafs had an uneven effort. MacClement played way too much which is worrysome. RC doesn't seem to value or understand puck possession and zone entry stats. This spells bad news for guys like Gardiner, Kadri, Colborne Grabbo and even Rielly next year.

Kadri hasn't been playing at the level where he was at, at the beginning of the year. Its dropped off a bit. What do you expect out of Colborne really? A call-up 30+ games into a 48 game season and Grabo needs to control the puck in the oppositions end for it to be considered puck possession.

The reason that you go with McClement so often is that he's a workhorse and putting pressure on the other teams defence and top players. You absolutely need that guy on the ice a lot and Carlyle has recognized that he's not a liability.

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON

I don't care what he values as long as the team is successful.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Kadri hasn't been playing at the level where he was at, at the beginning of the year. Its dropped off a bit. What do you expect out of Colborne really? A call-up 30+ games into a 48 game season and Grabo needs to control the puck in the oppositions end for it to be considered puck possession.

The reason that you go with McClement so often is that he's a workhorse and putting pressure on the other teams defence and top players. You absolutely need that guy on the ice a lot and Carlyle has recognized that he's not a liability.

McClement is a fantastic player without the puck. That sounds strange but it is why he is so good at PK and defensive zone coverage but so poor at generating any offense on zone entries and the cycle. He is a useful guy when used correctly. 20 minutes is way too much for this kind of player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I see a lot of disappointing of Kadri posts in this thread, I think it's because he has set such a high standard for himself this year, expectations are so high on the guy now, that if he doesn't do something amazing every night, people call him out.

Important to remember this is a player that has had only 40 NHL games as a Center in the NHL, he has had a break through year, he is 22, let's all remember this. Nazem has done a lot for this team this year, he is the single biggest upgrade in our line up at the #2C, and a major reason why we are making the playoffs.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
I see a lot of disappointing of Kadri posts in this thread, I think it's because he has set such a high standard for himself this year, expectations are so high on the guy now, that if he doesn't do something amazing every night, people call him out.

Important to remember this is a player that has had only 40 NHL games as a Center in the NHL, he has had a break through year, he is 22, let's all remember this. Nazem has done a lot for this team this year, he is the single biggest upgrade in our line up at the #2C, and a major reason why we are making the playoffs.

This. I think he set the standard too high. Nazem probably won't be a ppg player on an 82 game season. He had a hot roll and did amazing while no other forward was as dangerous. Now kessel is back in his groove and has become our most dangerous forward again. Plus Kadri recently started seeing top lines and tougher competition. He's going through his first sort of "slump" this season. It will be a good learning curve to see how he comes out of it.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal

Important to remember this is a player that has had only 40 NHL games as a Center in the NHL, he has had a break through year, he is 22, let's all remember this. Nazem has done a lot for this team this year, he is the single biggest upgrade in our line up at the #2C, and a major reason why we are making the playoffs.[/QUOTE
Agree, but even with that, Kadri is still doing more good things than bad. If this is a slump I'll take it firmly believe he will heat up again, hopefully Lupul returns and the regain their chemistry. Wouldn't mind seeing Frattin get put back on his wing either.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I ain't even mad. We absolutely owned them in OT and really should have won that game.

Nontheless, 3 out of 4 points is a great result, and we have enough games left to fight for home ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs!

Saturdays' game is huge.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Shtty way to lose a entertaining hockey game. Shoot out gimmick is pure junk.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I wouldn't worry about Kadri either. He has had several golden opportunities to score over the last few games. If he's still generating scoring chances then he's doing something right.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
I think Kadri will be a PPG player. What's affecting him right now is Lupul's absence. He also has to get a lot more stronger as well, but let's not forget that even today he had chances. Just not going his way, though.

RhinoD

Feb 6, 2013
Franklin, NC
Can I ask why Grabo got to take the last shot in the shootout and not Kessel? It would seem like a no-brainer that a guy with four goals against Lundquist in two games would get to shoot...

Anyway, I am pretty stoked with how this team is playing. Not a fan of the loser point in hockey, but it certainly helped us last night.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think Kadri will be a PPG player. What's affecting him right now is Lupul's absence. He also has to get a lot more stronger as well, but let's not forget that even today he had chances. Just not going his way, though.

Oh ya, the skill level and creativity is there thats obvious.

PPG is in his wheel house.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

I'm not trying to bring Kadri down at all.

All I had said was that his play had dipped and it has. I'm not criticizing him to the point that I'm ripping him. He has had the chances and its not like he's not getting his chances out there because he's probably hit the post 20 times in the past 3 games, its unreal.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
Can I ask why Grabo got to take the last shot in the shootout and not Kessel? It would seem like a no-brainer that a guy with four goals against Lundquist in two games would get to shoot...

Anyway, I am pretty stoked with how this team is playing. Not a fan of the loser point in hockey, but it certainly helped us last night.

It was mentioned that one of the assistant coaches picks the shootout lineup based on who looked best in practice (presumably they do SOME shootout practice right? RIGHT!?). But this obviously did not apply during that 13 round shootout or whatever it was...

SteveV*

Honestly guys, as a Rangers fan, Grabovski is the second most dangerous guy with the puck on your team. The guy is a 1 man show by himself. I know he's frustrating sometimes but all it takes is 1 move with him and its in the net. He almost scored at the end of regulation there. I held my breath.

Most dangerous guys with the puck on the Leafs IMO
1.Kessel (I call him uno)
2.Grabovski
3.Kadri (needs to bulk up and will become a force soon)

I'm rooting for you guys, great pair of games, good luck the rest of the way fellas.

Well put, Grabo is an asset on any team.

bunjay

Nov 9, 2008
His stats, his GM and his coach would disagree with you, however I've learned to avoid this argument with some fans as no matter what you put in front of them, their 'I say so' argument is apparently much more compelling.

His stats are quite poor and on a good team one might hope for better from a 2nd line center without 2 great wingers carrying him offensively.

Bozak's big contributions to the line were supposed to be faceoff prowess, defensive work, and puck recovery. This year he has not been particularly good at any of those three, and his stats can only hint at. Don't get me wrong, I like Bozak. Just not playing close to 20 minutes a game, and playing a good 1:30 of every powerplay.

SteveV*

I like Bozie. Also true, there isn't one center in this league that couldn't put up his numbers playing with who he does, powerplay time. That's just an objective fact.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
This. I think he set the standard too high. Nazem probably won't be a ppg player on an 82 game season. He had a hot roll and did amazing while no other forward was as dangerous. Now kessel is back in his groove and has become our most dangerous forward again. Plus Kadri recently started seeing top lines and tougher competition. He's going through his first sort of "slump" this season. It will be a good learning curve to see how he comes out of it.

Let's face it, no way he could keep up the pace he was setting a few weeks ago. Good thing is, when Lupul returns we will have too pretty dangerous lines to carry the scoring and this makes it tough to defend against. Now, if only Grabovski would getting going and give us three lines.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Skills competition for the loss.

We better learn how to win the shootout if we want to win a playoff series :sarcasm:

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
Let's face it, no way he could keep up the pace he was setting a few weeks ago. Good thing is, when Lupul returns we will have too pretty dangerous lines to carry the scoring and this makes it tough to defend against. Now, if only Grabovski would getting going and give us three lines.

you want grabo going? lets play the habs in the opening round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad