Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2 to the rangers in Shootout, steals a point.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
This. I think he set the standard too high. Nazem probably won't be a ppg player on an 82 game season. He had a hot roll and did amazing while no other forward was as dangerous. Now kessel is back in his groove and has become our most dangerous forward again. Plus Kadri recently started seeing top lines and tougher competition. He's going through his first sort of "slump" this season. It will be a good learning curve to see how he comes out of it.

We should also note that it appears to be difficult for teams to properly match both Kessel's and Kadri's lines. It always seems that at least one of those lines is producing, which could mean that while an opponent is focusing on covering Kadri, Kessel is producing. If a team is focusing on covering Kessel, Kadri is producing. Having two great scoring lines is a very dangerous threat.

Plus, when Lupul gets back, we'll have an additional fantastic weapon that other teams will have to cover, meaning even more room for other players. I'm really loving this team!

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
you want grabo going? lets play the habs in the opening round.

this is his chance to prove it saturday night

I'm not sold on grabo this year. The grabo i love and have respect for is the grabo that is fearless and goes into the corners ,knocks big men off the puck etc.

Is the anyone of you statistics professionals out there that could
compare grabo;s hits this year with the last two or three years?

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
i was just doing a quick tour of the standings and couldnt help but notice NJs 10... count them, 10 OT losses. I noticed a few people were upset about our 5 lost SOs and how those are precious pts. Just thought a little perspective may help you through these dark times. :sarcasm:

edit: for those wondering how many theyve won, the answer is 2.

SpeakerForTheDead

Aug 2, 2005
Brampton/Chicago
i was just doing a quick tour of the standings and couldnt help but notice NJs 10... count them, 10 OT losses. I noticed a few people were upset about our 5 lost SOs and how those are precious pts. Just thought a little perspective may help you through these dark times. :sarcasm:

On the other hand, without those 10 loser points the Devils are looking at a first-overall pick.

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Just goes to show you exactly what the NHL thinks of the shootout come playoff time....they get rid of it.

While were at it maybe the NFL can have QB's line up to throw footballs through a tire or maybe the MLB can have a first to 5 homerun showdown if their games are tied.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Just goes to show you exactly what the NHL thinks of the shootout come playoff time....they get rid of it.

While were at it maybe the NFL can have QB's line up to throw footballs through a tire or maybe the MLB can have a first to 5 homerun showdown if their games are tied.

Honestly... Lol.

Gary Bettman, gotta appeal to the fans in Dallas, Carolina, Florida etc.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

The NHL use to have Wins - Losses and Ties as their scoring system and so OT losses today = ties formerly, where a single point was awarded.

Its OT wins in fact that alter the standings unlike the past.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
On the other hand, without those 10 loser points the Devils are looking at a first-overall pick.

touche. but i wonder what their owners/fans would prefer: playoff hockey (revenue) or lottery pick?

the leafs have lost all their shootouts, but that amounts to 5 lost pts which after a quick glance appears close to league average. it sucks to lose, but in the grand scheme of things it hasnt really hurt us.

beleaf67

Mar 2, 2013
Ottawa Valley
overall good road game. I thought we had it in the bag. I think we sat on the lead too much, +20 minutes without shot. First line played well (even JVR) and Reimer had to stand on his head. Happy with a loser point. I'm glad we didn't sign Richards and too be honest Clowe didn't impress me at all. I don't think he offers anything over Kulemin, yes he can drop mits but at the price he will be asking in the summer I would pass.

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
The NHL use to have Wins - Losses and Ties as their scoring system and so OT losses today = ties formerly, where a single point was awarded.

yes, i was around back then mess lol. not sure what youre getting at here though? Im saying we lost a potential 5 extra points, but at least we're not NJ who has lost 10 extra points. The 10pt+ swing for NJ (depending on who they lost to) would have them easily in the playoff picture.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

I really dislike the term "loser point". It was a tie game and the shootout winner got a "bonus point", the team did not lose the hockey game.

napoleon in rags

Fred's dead, Baby... Fred's dead
Jun 17, 2009
St. Helena
Shtty way to lose a entertaining hockey game. Shoot out gimmick is pure junk.

I hate it so much that I'd love to see Carlyle send out Reimer and Scrivens as shooters--full goalie equipment, including goalie sticks--should we have to endure another shootout. The third shooter can be Orr, and he can use a goalie stick as well.

The Reaper

Men of Mayhem
Dec 29, 2010
Canada
I hate it so much that I'd love to see Carlyle send out Reimer and Scrivens as shooters--full goalie equipment, including goalie sticks--should we have to endure another shootout. The third shooter can be Orr, and he can use a goalie stick as well.

It'd be funny if they scored :laugh:

This thread should have been called Reims steals us the point

SteveV*

Sure his production is down and things aren't going as well for him lately, it happens to all players and I think he'll bounce right back.

Considering he was arguably our best forward in the past for long stretches, some of the criticism is over the top. People who spend everyday, in every thread, finding new ways to bash, well it comes down to their own flawed character, not a serious critique of the player. If the desire was wanting that's one thing, but given a certain proven commodity background, tons of heart, I honestly think we just have to work through this rough patch and fans will be rewarded. Is he over paid? Well of course.

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
I really dislike the term "loser point". It was a tie game and the shootout winner got a "bonus point", the team did not lose the hockey game.

The final score reads 3-2 in favour of the Rangers.

How is that not a loss?

Derek Synak

Mar 14, 2009
Mistake by the Lake

I don't, I think it best describes it.

You shouldn't get any points for losing, forcing OT or not. They should eliminate the shootout, switch to a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT and each team would earn a point if the game ended in a tie.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I'm not so sure we stole a point. We had the game on our stick a couple of times to win the game. We could have easily won that game and buried the Rangers.

Very happy with the Leaf, 3 out of 4 points is very well done.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I'm not so sure we stole a point. We had the game on our stick a couple of times to win the game. We could have easily won that game and buried the Rangers.

Very happy with the Leaf, 3 out of 4 points is very well done.

I agree. They werent any better then us during actual hockey.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I don't, I think it best describes it.

You shouldn't get any points for losing, forcing OT or not. They should eliminate the shootout, switch to a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT and each team would earn a point if the game ended in a tie.

They added the OTL point because OT was starting to get boring with neither team really pushing for a win.

10 minutes of that would be painful, not fast exciting brand of OT we get now.

I would love to see 10 minutes of 4-on-4 with an OTL point and a tie if they end with no goals after 10 mintues, which I don't think would happen very often.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
They added the OTL point because OT was starting to get boring with neither team really pushing for a win.

10 minutes of that would be painful, not fast exciting brand of OT we get now.

I would love to see 10 minutes of 4-on-4 with an OTL point and a tie if they end with no goals after 10 mintues, which I don't think would happen very often.

I would rather see the current format minus the shoot out. There is nothing wrong with a tie, silly notion thought up years ago to mimic European soccer. I feel after 4 on 4 of 5 minutes and all the chances that generates, only have to look at last nights game to see that, there is no need for a shoot out. Just a gimic to make goalies look bad.

Braggadocio

Mar 18, 2010
Ottawa
leafheaded.blogspot.com
Well, strictly speaking, the term "loser point" is inaccurate simply because the OT/SO is played to determine who gets the extra point; ie. the team who wins in extra time gets the point, the team who loses does not. Both teams get the point for being tied at the end of regulation. But I do agree with the gist of the argument most of you are making; I personally wish a regulation win was worth more than an OT win.

Source

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
How about no SO but have 10 minutes sudden death with both goalies pulled(6 skaters each). I don't think you would see very many ties. Just kidding but could it be any worse than these silly shoot-outs.

or

just play a 4th period sudden death and if still tied, so be it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad