Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2, special teams SUCKS again

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This team is going to have to show me a lot more down the stretch. Even in recent wins there’s something that isn’t settling right. I’m having bad vibes about being able to get through the first round. A combination of little things with the group has left me a bit uneasy.

Still plenty of time to get on track.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Like with the Marleau – Matthews – Kapanen line, the plan for the defense pairings is a bit of a mystery right now. It’s obviously delusional at this point to think that Rielly – Hainsey is a credible matchup pair that can shut down arguably the best line in the league in Boston’s #1 line.
Muzzin – Rielly or Rielly – Muzzin showed promise before the plug was pulled on it pretty quickly. I agree Rielly is better on left and I understand the desire to acclimate Muzzin to a new team/system on his strong side, but they’re going to have to rip the bandaid off and adapt Muzzin to the right at some point. And there is no better time than the present — the more reps he can get there before the playoffs, the better.

Going from Rielly – Gardiner – Dermott down the left to Rielly – Muzzin – Gardiner with Dermott pushed to the right and Hainsey still paired off with Rielly is not the overall upgrade the Leafs were shooting for when they paid the price they paid to make the Muzzin acquisition.
We’ll see if another shoe is going to drop before the deadline on Monday as far as potential RHD additions (e.g. Nick Jensen) that might change the complexion, but it’s difficult to understand the vision right now from Babcock.

Game #60 Review: Washington Capitals 3 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
It shouldn’t be overlooked just how much the Leafs lack of power play production is holding them back from reaching their true offensive potential right now. Since the turn of the new year, the Leafs have given up three shorthanded goals and scored just eight on the power play, three of which were scored in one game versus Colorado. They’ve got to figure this out.

Game #60 Review: Washington Capitals 3 vs. Toronto Maple Leafs 2 | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Reactions: dsred

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I completely agree.

That being said, this team could get hot in the playoffs and take us for a ride, but realistically, there are other good teams as well, and we should enjoy this for what it is. Pretty great hockey most nights with lots of skill plays by our boys.

Yep, this team absolutely has the potential to catch fire and run off a great playoffs. This team could be out in 4 games, it could also make it to SCF. you could also put Boston, NYI, Wash, Pitts, Tampa in that same group where they could be out in the first round or go all the way.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
As soon as he took out #12 from #34 line, that line started to generate offense. At the same time #12 was slowing down #29 line... and as reward for good game #12 is an extra attacker in the last few minutes of the game???!?!?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Did you see what happened when Marleau finally got switched with Johnsson?

This is what I mean by optimal.

When you take any player on fire and switch him with a player who is not on fire you will probably get positive results.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
2f2856377446ae6ee270686fec40d7285aae1685904bb2e599c0fbf022d3f739.gif

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
It shouldn’t be overlooked just how much the Leafs lack of power play production is holding them back from reaching their true offensive potential right now. Since the turn of the new year, the Leafs have given up three shorthanded goals and scored just eight on the power play, three of which were scored in one game versus Colorado. They’ve got to figure this out.

Marner and Nylander are pass first and do not have one timers. Kadri seems to be snakebit or is simply not good enough to snipe from the high slot. Rielly has a muffin shot from the point. Gards can't hit the net with his slapshot.

Most teams use players on their off wing and put a man in front of the goalie.

Yes, I might not know what I am talking about but what we have now is proven not to work.

Reactions: Cobra777

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
Lots of paper pushers, nobody gets their hands dirty. You can mix and match these players in all different configurations till the cows come home, results won't differ.
Teams will turn up the physical play even more come playoffs. Dubas will have to face facts eventually. A team in desperate need of some hardhats.

Confidence in Babcock and staff is at an all time low.

RLF

May 5, 2014
As soon as he took out #12 from #34 line, that line started to generate offense. At the same time #12 was slowing down #29 line... and as reward for good game #12 is an extra attacker in the last few minutes of the game???!?!?

I think we see him and Hyman out there at times 6 on 5 because they are two of our biggest forwards that have a desire or willingness to do any dirty work and fight for space in front of the net. Many 6 0n 5 goals are scored off rebounds and scrambles, so we need some size that isn't afraid to battle physically. Other than Tavares and Kadri up front, we don't have anyone else but them really. Sad.

Last edited:

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Matt Martin did not play well last season, and is also not a centre.

Plekanec did not play well either last year, but he was the best 4th line C we had, and actually played well in the playoffs.
Pleks had one good game in the play offs. Nailed to the bench in game 7.

Martin was given little chance under Babs. No secret he has no use for players like Martin.

Funny how a player like Wilson comes in with the Caps and owns the leafs. Goal. Assist. Big hits. Puts Gardner in the bleachers . No response form leaf team mates.

Reactions: Cobra777 and dsred

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I completely agree.

That being said, this team could get hot in the playoffs and take us for a ride, but realistically, there are other good teams as well, and we should enjoy this for what it is. Pretty great hockey most nights with lots of skill plays by our boys.

IMO, of the playoff contenders, over the course of the season, the Leafs are the most boring team to watch. They’ve had a handful of games that were entertaining, but not many.
Are they playing rope-a-dope and will come out swinging in the playoffs? I’d like to think that is the case.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
That would be a mistake! Show your example of this 'tuning out' of the players! I know it happens,but i don't see /hear any evidence of that. Seriously,he can't put the puck in the net for them. I would love to see him stack a line every now and then (like tonite) but other than that ,he seems to be running a tight ship.There are many coaches that are worse than Babs.
As much as Babs preaches about "playing the right way" His team have been weak defensively ever since Lidsrtom retired. Babs has won one play off round since Nick retired 7 or 8 years ago.

He will do as a coach. But he aint the legend he thinks he is.

But it is about time he wins another round.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

If they told Narleu he was going to be a healthy scratch in the playoffs, I wonder if he’d be accept a trade?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
This team is going to have to show me a lot more down the stretch. Even in recent wins there’s something that isn’t settling right. I’m having bad vibes about being able to get through the first round. A combination of little things with the group has left me a bit uneasy.

Still plenty of time to get on track.

This is a pretty good description of how I'm feeling about this team.

Just a little bit uneasy. Maybe even more than a little bit.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Like with the Marleau – Matthews – Kapanen line, the plan for the defense pairings is a bit of a mystery right now. It’s obviously delusional at this point to think that Rielly – Hainsey is a credible matchup pair that can shut down arguably the best line in the league in Boston’s #1 line.
Muzzin – Rielly or Rielly – Muzzin showed promise before the plug was pulled on it pretty quickly. I agree Rielly is better on left and I understand the desire to acclimate Muzzin to a new team/system on his strong side, but they’re going to have to rip the bandaid off and adapt Muzzin to the right at some point. And there is no better time than the present — the more reps he can get there before the playoffs, the better.

Going from Rielly – Gardiner – Dermott down the left to Rielly – Muzzin – Gardiner with Dermott pushed to the right and Hainsey still paired off with Rielly is not the overall upgrade the Leafs were shooting for when they paid the price they paid to make the Muzzin acquisition.
We’ll see if another shoe is going to drop before the deadline on Monday as far as potential RHD additions (e.g. Nick Jensen) that might change the complexion, but it’s difficult to understand the vision right now from Babcock.

Teams like it when Rielly is on the ice. Because that means Hainsey is out there too

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Question: AJ and Kappy have been great and are close to 20 goals. Frankie Vetrano scored his 20th a couple of nights ago and is an RFA. Does anybody think he commands the same money some people think Kappy will be asking for ?

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Gardner: Makes me nervous
Brown: Gets pushed off the puck every time
Marleau: Put a fork in him, cause he is done

That's not a lot to fix ... lets get some big body, high energy players for these three!
Kreider would be a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad