Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-2, special teams SUCKS again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
As soon as he took out #12 from #34 line, that line started to generate offense. At the same time #12 was slowing down #29 line... and as reward for good game #12 is an extra attacker in the last few minutes of the game???!?!?

The extra attacker lasted nearly 3 1/2 minutes from the time the Leafs pulled the goalie. Everybody but the 4th line was going to get on the ice at some point.

Reactions: illusory

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Pleks had one good game in the play offs. Nailed to the bench in game 7.

Martin was given little chance under Babs. No secret he has no use for players like Martin.

Funny how a player like Wilson comes in with the Caps and owns the leafs. Goal. Assist. Big hits. Puts Gardner in the bleachers . No response form leaf team mates.

not many teams in the league have a guy who can tangle with Wilson, it's not just the Leafs...

that said there is a big difference between Matt Martin and Tom Wilson, and a big part of the reason that Wilson not only gets a regular shift in the top 9 but also both the PK and PP time

Babcock would likely be playing Wilson in the top 9 sometimes on the 1 line, sometimes on the 2 and definitely a great deal with Kadri....

When is a hand pass not a hand pass? When a Caps defencemen spikes the puck forward onto the stick of a team-mate that eventually end's up behind Andersen.

When is interference not interference? When Ovi is doing the stick kicking!

I got a million of them folks and I'm here all week, try the veal:nod:

The NHL really has to do something about their officiating crews or at least try to disguise whatever their plan is, because it's getting annoying

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I've been talking about Babcock's overly cautious nature being my biggest issue with him, and he just provided a perfect example why. After a first period where the third line was absolutely dominating, he moved Marleau onto that line. He makes a change to get a small improvement in handling the few chances that line got against, even if it comes with a drastic deterioration of our chances to score on our many chances for. Our best line in the first turned into one where nothing happened unless Willy did it all.

It's amazing to me that people drool over trying to copy teams like St Louis instead of the most dominant team in the last decade.

To be fair when ever Willie has the puck, it's usually Willie against the world, he's not known for sharing the puck. He's not a guy who likes to share the puck. He is a puck hog and I say that in the most complimentary kinda of way.

Reactions: ToneDog

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Well if you're equating not adhering to blind faith with disloyalty, then yeah there's a lot of disloyal fans here clearly..

I know which side of the fence I'd rather be on.

I'm a blind faith guy. To me that's what separates fans from the hot take blogger set. But I'm probably in the wrong place to be saying stuff like that.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
not many teams in the league have a guy who can tangle with Wilson, it's not just the Leafs...

that said there is a big difference between Matt Martin and Tom Wilson, and a big part of the reason that Wilson not only gets a regular shift in the top 9 but also both the PK and PP time

Babcock would likely be playing Wilson in the top 9 sometimes on the 1 line, sometimes on the 2 and definitely a great deal with Kadri....

When is a hand pass not a hand pass? When a Caps defencemen spikes the puck forward onto the stick of a team-mate that eventually end's up behind Andersen.

The NHL really has to do something about their officiating crews or whatever the plan is, because it's getting annoying

LOL, Ovi should have not been on the ice for the 1st goal, we give up a shortie and gosh the refs really let the Caps get away with a crap load of stuff. The PIM on Brown, the Cap forward grabbed Browns stick tucked it under his armpit and Brown gets a PIM. There was another play where the Cap grabbed our forwards stick, skated with our guy holding his stick the whole time, lasted for at least 5 seconds, nothing not a call.

I hate to sound like a homer but how can a team as skilled as the Leafs draw as little PIM's as they do, we don't have to be top of the list but this team should based on their offensive pressure alone, should be middle of the pack in PIMs drawn.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

The NHL really has to do something about their officiating crews or at least try to disguise whatever their plan is, because it's getting annoying

You can hand pass in the D zone.

The stick thing would have been a weak call because he almost stepped on the stick.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

The stick thing would have been a weak call because he almost stepped on the stick.

in the Dzone if the puck is picked up in the Dzone then yes of course

in the Dzone out to the neutral zone is a no

at least that's my understanding of the way the rule is written

oh and btw "almost" is not a real thing in hockey

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
LOL, Ovi should have not been on the ice for the 1st goal, we give up a shortie and gosh the refs really let the Caps get away with a crap load of stuff. The PIM on Brown, the Cap forward grabbed Browns stick tucked it under his armpit and Brown gets a PIM. There was another play where the Cap grabbed our forwards stick, skated with our guy holding his stick the whole time, lasted for at least 5 seconds, nothing not a call.

I hate to sound like a homer but how can a team as skilled as the Leafs draw as little PIM's as they do, we don't have to be top of the list but this team should based on their offensive pressure alone, should be middle of the pack in PIMs drawn.

There is only a handful of skilled guys and coaches have figured out how to defend them for the most part. No need to take penalties on the perimeter.

Brown puts his stick in the guys hands two or three times 150 feet from the net, the ref didn’t want to call it but he forced to because he kept at it.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

It looked like the Dman was over the blue line when he hand passed it, close call but I'm gonna err on the side of F the Caps.. :)

The kick of the stick IMO falls in the category of high sticking, regardless if it is intentional or accidental, its still interference. Another ref would have called it. Refs sucked last night.

Reactions: therealkoho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It looked like the Dman was over the blue line when he hand passed it, close call but I'm gonna err on the side of F the Caps.. :)

The kick of the stick IMO falls in the category of high sticking, regardless if it is intentional or accidental, its still interference. Another ref would have called it. Refs sucked last night.

The announcer thought it was being called and at the time I thought it would be a rather weak call. It was irrelevant anyway.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Not sure why you took my comment as a suggestion that players read these boards.

I'm just disappointed that so many of our fans seem to go to pieces whenever things go badly. What happened to loyalty?
well most here are disappointed and disgusted of all the excuses and bs that this franchise hasn't won a championship and have endured pain for over 50 yrs and counting

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I feel like the power play has TOO MUCH structure. We've got all the talent in the world out there and we try the same plays over and over again. Tell the boys to do whatever they want on the PP and I guarantee you the PP% will go up.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
71FMVgWPAxL._SY550_.jpg

Provide the list of NHL teams who have never lost a game in a single regular season......I will wait.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
The announcer thought it was being called and at the time I thought it would be a rather weak call. It was irrelevant anyway.

..but it was not irrelevant, the guy who kicked the stick, was the guy who scored. If the guy who scored was in the box, they may not have scored on the PP. If the play had been called as it should have been, the game might have ended differently. I hate to be the coulda shoulda woulda guy but that was a very important part of the game. IMO the game was decided by the refs.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I feel like the power play has TOO MUCH structure. We've got all the talent in the world out there and we try the same plays over and over again. Tell the boys to do whatever they want on the PP and I guarantee you the PP% will go up.

I'd agree with your statement, I think it was the Montreal Canadians teams in the 70's that never practiced the PP and just threw out boatloads of talent and dominated.

If I was coach I would put 2 snipers, two setup guys and one d-man who can get the puck through and give those 10 guys the freedom to do what ever they want as long as they were not giving up scoring chances on our own goalie.

If a coach sets up a scheme for the PP, then an opposing coach can figure it out. The unpredictability of having no scheme might improve the PP, might hurt it too but it might get the players a little more involved.

Reactions: ToneBone03

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Team was fine at even-strength, Hotlby just made one more big save than Andersen.

Special teams generated some good chances, but still were the reason that cost them the game.

Cobra777

Jun 26, 2018
Wasaga Beach
Lol the hate for dubas is hilarious. It's not his fault Babcock likes to not use an optimal line up. Where are all of tampas tough players? I bet if we had tampas team there would still be people complaining that we don't have enough grit.
Tampa plays far more physical than we do

Reactions: ACC1224

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
For how long have people on these boards been screaming for Babcock to demote Marleau and promote Johnsson? He does it, and then HFBoards complains... LOL

Get a grip, dude.
Nylander will get moved to AM line and people will complain he isnt a center

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
..but it was not irrelevant, the guy who kicked the stick, was the guy who scored. If the guy who scored was in the box, they may not have scored on the PP. If the play had been called as it should have been, the game might have ended differently. I hate to be the coulda shoulda woulda guy but that was a very important part of the game. IMO the game was decided by the refs.

Leafs have never lost a game.....refs stole them all.

Reactions: dsred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad