Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Can the Leafs finish out of the top 10? Goes to show how important those early season wins are.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
Wow. So shots is your barometer of success. Carolina must be the best team in the league.
Most people use their eyes. Appears you didn’t though. They played well and lost. It happens. Being a huge man baby because they lost a hard fought game is ridiculous. I get being angry when the effort isn’t there, this wasn’t one of those times. They battled hard, had good scoring chances. Played pretty well defensively (2 goals against to a team that scores almost 4 a game) forget the EN. Freddy was very good

You don’t have to be so pessimistic all the time guys. It’s embarassing. I’m not saying be happy with losing but Christ, they lost by 1 to a team that has a record only repeated 3 times in NHL history. Outshot them and matched them step for step. Any other team in the league they win this game by 2

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
I've watched AllStar games with more intensity but if this is the new NHL, Leafs kept up pretty well. Tampa just better coached and with the experience we lack.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Did we look good? I'm not sure. We did a decent job defensively but offensively we were pretty average. We had no sustained pressure at all. Pretty frustrating game.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We played well. The result could easily be different. PP has to be better though. Another great game by Nylander.

Reactions: saffronleaf

The90

Feb 27, 2017
People take losses hard. We've all been there.

As a measuring stick game we measure up fine for where we our on our journey.

Remember some of the fanbase lacks maturity. Some are hardened by decades of ineptitude.
Don’t forget Some appear to be inept mentally as well

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Before Kucherov grew into his current "reasonable" contract, Yzerman forced him to take a bridge deal, but our GM likes to overpay players like Willy and Matthews before they've done anything. Tampa Bay is the model franchise for team building where players take "fair market" values on their contracts to win as a team. With Matthews, Tavares, Nylander and soon to be Marner taking over a combined $40 million in cap space, there won't be anything left for depth players, and wait until Rielly's contract is up...how much is he going to want? $10 million too? We have a bunch of entitled young stars who want big money, but hasn't done squat.

We didn't set the market, we do exist in it though. RFA deals simply don't look the same anymore. Mcdavid, Draisatl and Eichel changed everything

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Huge cry baby fans check.

No wonder everyone else hates our fan base. Good god
Umm, why can’t fans be critical of the team their supporting?
Should we just be complacent and accept their garbage play the last couple of months?
I say if your not pissed, your not a fan.

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
C'mon guys, the team can ramp it up even more for Boston. Almost every player stuck in tonight. Tavares not dominant but can't be every night, he'll be a difference maker in Boston.

Just hoping Willy can pot a couple soon to get the swagger back. I've been very critical of his attitude and disinterest, but after this game even he must realize the lack of commitment simply can't continue.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
We played well. The result could easily be different. PP has to be better though. Another great game by Nylander.
are you serious? This was one of nylanders worst games in a long time. He did nothing and kept missing the net. He needs to be called out by someone. His production is unacceptable.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
didnt get a chance to wtch the first couple periods and the first 10 mins of the 3rd; from the 10 mins of play i saw in the 3rd nylander looked pretty average without matthews out there

how did nylander fare in the other 2 periods?

also checking the score even strength it seems we played them to a tie 1-1 (shorty excluded and empty netter); 4th line needs to be better

had been saying it for a while in the playoffs against boston

johnsson-tavares-kapanen
hyman-matthews-nylander
moore-kadri-marner
ennis-marleau-brown

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Did we look good? I'm not sure. We did a decent job defensively but offensively we were pretty average. We had no sustained pressure at all. Pretty frustrating game.

Tampa is a good team .. I'd say it was a fairly even game. Both teams had their chances but the Leafs held their own defensively.

Always frustrating when they don't score

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I'd be more upset if they played like shit and had zero fight. That wasn't the case.

So much negativity ... for a team that no matter what is playing Boston, and just played against the best in the league and had opportunities to win, and tonight it just didn't go their way.

I'm just looking forward to another shot at redemption against Boston. It's time.

By no means was that a perfect game... But when I see people completey pick apart the Leafs... even with I think it was a pretty solid effort... I wonder if you ever enjoy watching a game. Dear lord.

Last edited:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Columbus plays the Rangers and the Sens. I know anything can happen in the NHL but I would be shocked if they lose out in regulation.

Habs are done if you ask me.

It is likely they are done, but they are still mathematically in it. And if Columbus loses tomorrow it does mean Montreal has a chance and they game will be different.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
I feel like Kapanen is on the cusp of breaking out into a hot streak. He's had his jump in the last few games, just needs to get on the scoresheet to get going.

Kap is ice cold buddy. He’s elevated his game in the post season the last 2 years but this team in general just loses.

ItalianLeaf

Nov 2, 2006
Not going to bother arguing...please someone else try explaining this to you.

Ya a SHG oops, we played them even hence the tie until 5min left with a fluky knuckle that hit Rosen or it goes wide.

I'm sick of certain people being this blind. We played right with a 120 plus point team...now you don't show up vs Tampa the score would've been way lopsided as well the shots would've been as well.

Don't need to reply to this message because again I'm not going to bicker..I've supported my arguments.

Drop

You just dont get it. The results are what count. This isnt the try league, its the get it done league (thank you josh) The leafs have immense flaws which is why they have been playing for half the year at a non playoff team level. I also put way more stock in the second half of the season as teams are supposed to be ironing out all the garbage at the beginning of the season. Improving themselves, eliminating the bad habits and becoming that well oiled machine. This machine needs an oil change.

Reactions: mikeyz

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
People take losses hard. We've all been there.

As a measuring stick game we measure up fine for where we our on our journey.

Remember some of the fanbase lacks maturity. Some are hardened by decades of ineptitude.
Guilty.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
didnt get a chance to wtch the first couple periods and the first 10 mins of the 3rd; from the 10 mins of play i saw in the 3rd nylander looked pretty average without matthews out there

how did nylander fare in the other 2 periods?

also checking the score even strength it seems we played them to a tie 1-1 (shorty excluded and empty netter); 4th line needs to be better

had been saying it for a while in the playoffs against boston

johnsson-tavares-kapanen
hyman-matthews-nylander
moore-kadri-marner
ennis-marleau-brown

Flip Kappy and Marner, and I'm in.

No reason to shuffle up JT and Marner after the season they've had.

Be interesting to see how Hyman's game would impact Matthews and Nylander on a line right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad