Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
72 points in 67 games for Matthews. He has next to no chemistry with any winger this year. Can't play with kap. aj, marner,nylander, marleau. We need to find a winger that he can work with. Either nylander reestablishes himself, or need to find someone who can work with AM34. He does too much by himself and fails to produce with his linemates. The offense is a huge problem right now.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
The overall effort was good. :thumbu:
The short handed goal was disgusting. :mad:

Habs lost :DD

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
That was his choice. He wanted to be last to sign. The Leafs would have signed him already if he wanted to. Stop trying to make everything a problem
He was willing to sign this summer he made Dubas an offer and Dubas turned it down. 8 years at 9m. Dubas offered 7.5 per for 8 years. No counter was made to Marner. 8 years at 9m would look good now. He is going to get more for less years. I said in the summer that 8.5 per for 8 years would have likely got it done. Now it is 10m plus for how many years?

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
Our defense is ass and that is known. Can possibly be fixed by trading nylander. We also have crappy offense led by only 2 players in Marner and JT, how do we fix that? This team needs to re-tool come the offseason.

But wait we were told that our offense 'wasn't an issue' anymore because of all the offense weapons we have?! :shakehead

As we've seen you can NEVER have enough offense and that defense while is still a problem, can possibly be addressed internally as early as next year. So yes while defense is an issue, so is our offense which started so promisingly and has been in the dumps for months now.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
didnt get a chance to wtch the first couple periods and the first 10 mins of the 3rd; from the 10 mins of play i saw in the 3rd nylander looked pretty average without matthews out there

how did nylander fare in the other 2 periods?

also checking the score even strength it seems we played them to a tie 1-1 (shorty excluded and empty netter); 4th line needs to be better

had been saying it for a while in the playoffs against boston

johnsson-tavares-kapanen
hyman-matthews-nylander
moore-kadri-marner
ennis-marleau-brown
Woof at those lines lol i don’t disagree with Hyman re uniting with Matthews if they’re slow offensively the first couple games. That always worked well.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
You just dont get it. The results are what count. This isnt the try league, its the get it done league (thank you josh) The leafs have immense flaws which is why they have been playing for half the year at a non playoff team level. I also put way more stock in the second half of the season as teams are supposed to be ironing out all the garbage at the beginning of the season. Improving themselves, eliminating the bad habits and becoming that well oiled machine. This machine needs an oil change.

I wish I could like this a million times.

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC
Another crap effort
Hard to gauge either efforts from both teams all things considered ....
Either team ...
Don’t want any injuries
Played more a loose game from Tampa
Tried to Play more a tighter game T.O
Different line combos
Gards first game back
So on and so on
So really hard to say anything really

Reactions: danron1376

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Columbus plays the Rangers and the Sens. I know anything can happen in the NHL but I would be shocked if they lose out in regulation.

Habs are done if you ask me.

They should and I hope they do tomorrow. Have you seen CBJ? It’s not official so I’m not celebrating yet.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
72 points in 67 games for Matthews. He has next to no chemistry with any winger this year. Can't play with kap. aj, marner,nylander, marleau. We need to find a winger that he can work with. Either nylander reestablishes himself, or need to find someone who can work with AM34. He does too much by himself and fails to produce with his linemates. The offense is a huge problem right now.
Maybe he’s like Crosby and does better with lesser linemates. I know Crosby is with guentzel now, but for years he excelled with dupuis and Kunitz.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
You just dont get it. The results are what count. This isnt the try league, its the get it done league (thank you josh) The leafs have immense flaws which is why they have been playing for half the year at a non playoff team level. I also put way more stock in the second half of the season as teams are supposed to be ironing out all the garbage at the beginning of the season. Improving themselves, eliminating the bad habits and becoming that well oiled machine. This machine needs an oil change.

The result tonight didn't matter at all. Tonight was all about the effort.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

*whispers* Maybe Hyman with Matthews and Nylander wasn't the big issue all along in the last two seasons....

:sarcasm:

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Yeah I agree. We need someone who opens space for matthews and can draw guys in then get him the puck. Could use another Marner...

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He was willing to sign this summer he made Dubas an offer and Dubas turned it down. 8 years at 9m. Dubas offered 7.5 per for 8 years. No counter was made to Marner. 8 years at 9m would look good now. He is going to get more for less years. I said in the summer that 8.5 per for 8 years would have likely got it done. Now it is 10m plus for how many years?

Ive seen absolutely zero evidence of that having happened. In fact, the Marner camp has been pretty clear all the way along that they didn't have any interest in signing before playing year 3 of the elc.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Flip Kappy and Marner, and I'm in.

No reason to shuffle up JT and Marner after the season they've had.

Be interesting to see how Hyman's game would impact Matthews and Nylander on a line right now

Personally don't want to see Matthews-Nylander without Hyman on that line; Boston is going to eat matthews-nylander duo without a worker with a big body like hyman on that line who is also defensively sound

idea is that if matthews-nylander duo doesn't score then they at least have to not leak goals and play their match up to a stalemate; johnsson-matthews-nylander i am not cool with how nylander plays (lazy and soft)

if matthews-nylander are to play together hyman should be there or else split matthews-nylander duo

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Why are you arguing I've read more than a handful that are saying you're incorrect. Give up already. If you're going to be mad we out shot, out chanced, and kept up the pace with the best team in the NHL, only to lose because of a stupid fluke goal...WOW

Ya I get results normally matter. First we've clinched and Boston actually played badly of late. Our efforts have been amazing minus the burp on back to backs vs Hurricanes. Matty is wheeling, JT, Marner etc etc.. anyway you take your opinion I have mine. That's all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad