Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 3-1

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
If the season lasted another week or 2 the leafs wouldn't make the playoffs. They've ridden the coattails of a 1.5 month ridiculous hot start for the entire rest of the season.
And if my Aunty had balls...Seriously,clutching at straws to make it seem worse than it is! How many teams made the playoffs? Are the Leafs one of them? ..Give yourself a slap upside the head...it's a new season now. But you go ahead and focus on what isn't! Effin' brutal!

BigGulpsEh

Feb 20, 2017
Only confidence I have is JT/marner line and Matthews will have a great series against Boston. Everyone else is rolling the dice

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He gave in to Nylander demands. Would not have happened with most GMs as they would have shopped him hard long before Dec 1st. Stevie Y told Stammer you are getting 8.5 and not a penny more and he was a UFA. You have to take a stand to get the respect of agents otherwise you will be bent over every time.

Make you best offer to the player and then be prepared to walk away if it is not accepted and trade them. He had months longer to sign Mathews yet he could not wait to pay him his value for 7-8 years for 5 yesrs.

I believe Babcock took a shot at Dubas based on the comment. I can not find it but it was on hockey central at noon today.
I agree that maybe moving on from Nylander would've been best for his reputation with agents, but at the same time its a hard trade to make. I can understand why he would prefer not to make it and keep an elite 22 y/o.

I also agree that the Matthews deal should not have been signed in February, no idea why he rushed that signing. But Matthews isnt a guy you can just walk away from.

I still think the comment was directed towards the players, because clearly they have no intention of taking discounts looking at some of these deals they're getting, and thats not solely on Dubas. These guys are asking for a ton in the first place. Matthews was asking 13+ for 8 years.

Reactions: Lauro

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Solid effort against an excellent team, but at the same time, just 4 wins in our last 13 games :( Gotta start winning, my confidence in this team is extremely low right now. Hard to see these guys winning a series against the Bruins.

KIWILEAFFAN

Dec 28, 2011
New Zealand
Unsure how I look at that game. Not really sure if either side put in 100%
Thought it was pretty even and could have gone either way.
It was a fast and enjoyable game to watch. Both teams missed opportunities due to awesome goaltending.
However I think Tampa is just better in some areas of the game and there is no shame in that for the Leafs. In time I think they can be just as good if not better.
Never had the Leafs going far in the playoffs this year so for me anything beyond the first round is a bonus. Yeah I think they have a better chance against Boston this year but time will tell.
They seem to be playing the right way lately, yet every little mistake they make, seems to end up in the net. Frustrating.
Good to see Freddy getting in the grove.
I am away bush for most of the first round but should be able to get results via txt on my inreach from home. Hope I don't end up chucking it into a river in frustration :help:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Unsure how I look at that game. Not really sure if either side put in 100%
Thought it was pretty even and could have gone either way.
It was a fast and enjoyable game to watch. Both teams missed opportunities due to awesome goaltending.
However I think Tampa is just better in some areas of the game and there is no shame in that for the Leafs. In time I think they can be just as good if not better.
Never had the Leafs going far in the playoffs this year so for me anything beyond the first round is a bonus. Yeah I think they have a better chance against Boston this year but time will tell.
They seem to be playing the right way lately, yet every little mistake they make, seems to end up in the net. Frustrating.
Good to see Freddy getting in the grove.
I am away bush for most of the first round but should be able to get results via txt on my inreach from home. Hope I don't end up chucking it into a river in frustration :help:

Was one of the best games of the season. We simply lost to the better team but it wasn't lopsided.

Reactions: Kazparov

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
He was willing to sign this summer he made Dubas an offer and Dubas turned it down. 8 years at 9m. Dubas offered 7.5 per for 8 years. No counter was made to Marner. 8 years at 9m would look good now. He is going to get more for less years. I said in the summer that 8.5 per for 8 years would have likely got it done. Now it is 10m plus for how many years?

How do you know this?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Yeah I agree. We need someone who opens space for matthews and can draw guys in then get him the puck. Could use another Marner...

Nylander works very well with him. He just has no finish. This year.

I mean. How many times can he hit the post or miss? It’s nuts.

Matthews has had to play with rookies/grinders/old timers his whole career. Willy last year and for like 10 games this year have been the only reprieve

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
last summer the deal was offered by ferris for 9M x 8 years; dubas rejected it and low-balled at 6M (not sure about years);

marner could have been had for around 8 to 8.5 AAV for 8 years

Is there any actual proof of this?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How do you know this?
I think Dreger said it. Everybody else have said that the Marner camp was not interested in negotiating before this season.

Even so, giving a $9M long-term contract when Marner's comparables at that point average about $7.8M would be quite the bet on potential. It would obviously look good now but it would get roasted at the time of the signing for a good reason.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I think Dreger said it. Everybody else have said that the Marner camp was not interested in negotiating before this season.

Even so, giving a $9M long-term contract when Marner's comparables at that point average about $7.8M would be quite the bet on potential. It would obviously look good now but it would get roasted at the time of the signing for a good reason.
It would also have probably meant paying Nylander more

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Nylander works very well with him. He just has no finish. This year.

I mean. How many times can he hit the post or miss? It’s nuts.

Matthews has had to play with rookies/grinders/old timers his whole career. Willy last year and for like 10 games this year have been the only reprieve

Nylander should start to shoot low on the goalies pads for rebounds. And then work his way up to the corners. Get ugly goals to begin with. Dont try to much or make things complicated. I dont expect a player with Nylanders season to do any heavy lifting with goals in the playoffs. Its more like better luck next year. But Tavares Matthews , Marner and the 20goalish players. (Hyman,Johnsson,Kapanen) after the years they had should score goals every playoffgame. Maby not all in the same game (that would be ok to), just that i expect them to do the heavy lifting in the goaldepartment.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Impressions from the game:

Stacked up pretty well against the best team in the league. Fall short, again. I don't know what to make of it. Our special teams need to gear up if we're going to have a chance to go far this year.

Tavares Line - Very good off the rush. Marner was an absolute magician throughout the game. Point ate Tavares alive though, and it felt like they had a distinct territorial advantage. Did I say that Marner is a magician? Because he is.
Matthews Line - Really liked Marleau tonight. Matthews was very, very good again. Kapanen was pretty good too. I feel like all three did good individually though, instead of as a unit. They'd skate well, attack well, and create individual chances well... but there was so few nice passing plays. I guess that's what happens on a line with three shoot-first players.
Nylander Line - Absolutely dysfunctional. Nylander was a ghost. Brown and Johnsson scurried around without winning battles, and when they did there was no help. For some reason, Brown and Johnsson rushed after every puck leaving Nylander up high as an audience, instead of having the normal rotation. Don't know who was at fault there, so I'm going to blame all three equally for being abysmal.
Gauthier Line - Getting owned lately. Not the worst problem you could have, but it's still one you'd like addressed. The thing with Ennis is that when he doesn't find space, he's useless. If he can't twist and turn, he's pretty weak on the puck. He's pretty weak in puck pursuit. He's pretty weak at moving the puck. He's maybe our worst forward defensively. When he gets things his way, he can create offense all alone in limited minutes. I don't know if it's a great thing to bet on. Moore was good though. Gauthier looked like the Goat of yore.

Rielly Pairing - I think they had a pretty strong game. Rielly looked beastly with his outlet passing, and I had no complaints about Hainsey tonight. And that's a good thing with him.
Gardiner Pairing - Gards was a little bit behind, a little bit slow, and still pretty good. The way he takes away space is just beautiful. Even so, I'd see how he looks in the last game and then contemplate easing him in on a third pairing in the playoffs. Zaitsev looked pretty good tonight, I think. It feels like playing with Muzzin has made him move his feet more, create some more space so he can actually make puck moving attempts. I like that.
Dermott Pairing - I think both Dermott and Rosén had strong games tonight. Rosén has that Gards quality of closing off space very well, and so does Dermott. Together, they made things difficult for the opponents despite some mistakes.

Andersen - Good overall, but that GWG was pretty ugly. There was no need for the desperation attempt. Stamkos must have sold the shot completely.

PP - Not sure I like Nylander in the Kadri spot. He's not great at finding open space, and he was way too slow getting rid of the puck there. He was very good at winning the puck back, I liked that one-handed interception he made. As a whole we kind of sucked though.
PK - Looked very nice. This is a key component for us with the first two rounds against top PPs. Marner is a magician btw.
MB - The lineup was fine. The third line was obviously the wrong composition, but it was their first game together so hard to put that on Babs. Feels like he distributed ice time just fine considering. No complaints tonight.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Let me put it this way, if this game had any meaning, Stamkos is not cherry picking on the PK.

If that pass gets intercepted Stamkos is caught way out of position and is likely a Leafs PP goal as they’d be 5 on 3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad