Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Actually all that matters is how we play IN the playoffs. How we play right now also means absolutely nothing.

Less than a few weeks for the team to figure out how to play team defence...oh... and grow a spine and some work ethic!

I'm leaning towards that not happening but you go on thinking they can.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I thought we played pretty good last night, but two of their goals were directly from brutal mistakes from our D.. Muzzin gives a soft one right up the middle.. next thing you know its in the back of the net... and the 2nd goal were in pretty good shape in our own end.. puck goes to the boards and Oz goes behind the net to cover the guy?!?!?! instead of sitting infront and covering the slot... You learn to sit infront of the net in Peewee hockey.

Since the start of March we are feeling the effects of essentially not having a 5-6 d-pair.. To be honest I'm sure if Borgman and Rosen were not hurt, we would be in better shape then we are now.

The problem we have right now is we have too many guys that need to step their game for playoffs Marleau, Kadri, Freddy (hes been awesome all season, but he needs to get back into beast mode), Dermott hasn't played in a month hes going to be rusty. I doubt they just turn the switch on and decide to play decent hockey come playoffs.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
Less than a few weeks for the team to figure out how to play team defence...oh... and grow a spine and some work ethic!

I'm leaning towards that not happening but you go on thinking they can.

Hey, don’t you know that blind optimism by fans on internet message boards directly translates into better on ice play ?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is very true, but so many people want to forget it and focus only on the negative.

But it’s not a positive trend at all ,and IMO, this is not an elite team. They’re good, but not elite.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I watched the first 2 periods last night and I thought Toronto was the better team. They dominated large sections of the 2nd period.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Babcock must be mad as hell that Dubas didnt get some depth at the TDL

f***ing dubas am i right. he had to have known that Gardiner would be an injury that was long term and that a couple days after Dermott was going to get hurt on a hit in a game with no prior injury. If Gardiner OR Dermott went down we would be fine, but we lost 2 top 4 quality D in the space of a week you cant plan for that. To exacerbate the issue Rosen and Borgman were injured too. So we are left with the dregs.

Dubas must be mad as hell the best paid coach in the league cant win without his best talent, good coaches win

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Babcock must be mad as hell that Dubas didnt get some depth at the TDL
Not a bright move on the part of Dubas to not get another D!

However, maybe the prices were to high, so, better to not overpay. We already have fans claiming that the cost for Muzzin was too high.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Have I mentioned anywhere that they are elite? Do you HAVE to be elite to win? There have been many good, but not elite teams that have won.

I don’t if you have or not. Yes, you have to have elite players to win a Stanley Cup.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The D wasn't the problem yesterday.

I know Muzzin didn't have a great giveaway on that play, but I thought Andersen overplayed that horribly as well.

The true killer yesterday was the PP blew.

We were the better team for most of the game, but didn't have that killer instinct.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Not a bright move on the part of Dubas to not get another D!

Maybe the prices were to high, so, better to not overpay. We already have fans claiming that the cost for Muzzin was too high.
Our LHD is in injury trouble right now.

Gardiner Dermott Rosen Borgman and Marincin not available for one game..how do you plan for that?

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
****ing dubas am i right. he had to have known that Gardiner would be an injury that was long term and that a couple days after Dermott was going to get hurt on a hit in a game with no prior injury. If Gardiner OR Dermott went down we would be fine, but we lost 2 top 4 quality D in the space of a week you cant plan for that. To exacerbate the issue Rosen and Borgman were injured too. So we are left with the dregs.

Dubas must be mad as hell the best paid coach in the league cant win without his best talent, good coaches win

Even deep teams pick up depth for this exact issue.

Few teams can win, when 2 top 4 dmen get injured, especially when they are already mediocre defensively

Reactions: ACC1224

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
When his foot is back to it's original size!

Besides, does he really make the difference between winning and losing?
He didn't play poorly(that I can recall) when he was with the club for a short sting early last season. He's having a very good year in the AHL and should get looked at . He certainly can't be worse than the guys on the bottom pairing

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
****ing dubas am i right. he had to have known that Gardiner would be an injury that was long term and that a couple days after Dermott was going to get hurt on a hit in a game with no prior injury. If Gardiner OR Dermott went down we would be fine, but we lost 2 top 4 quality D in the space of a week you cant plan for that. To exacerbate the issue Rosen and Borgman were injured too. So we are left with the dregs.

The thing is, outside of MAYBE the Ottawa game (which had a load of other problems as well), the depth defensemen have not even been costing us games. It's been a putrid team effort, including far less than necessary output coming from top players. If we had a better overall team effort, we win many of these games, with or without Gardiner and Dermott (and we could just as easily lose those games with them in the lineup).

As far as I am concerned, they did not fix anything in this game. They did not start on time AGAIN. Sure they did not totally break down defensively, but it is still no where near enough to be a team that even deserves to make the playoffs, never mind get past the first round in them.

Until this team holds each other accountable, Dubas can not do anything to make us win. He's done his job. It's up to Babcock and the players to fix the problems they are unnecessarily causing themselves right now.

Reactions: Walshy7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad