Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lose 3-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Assemble a butter soft team

Blame the coach when they fail when the going gets tough.
GM doesn't think it's a issue, we'll see if boy wonder was correct. Can't imagine Shanahan would agree being through several playoff wars, I really wonder what's going through the President's head about now?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Depth will play a minor role, but they can’t even do that now. Dermott might be back and Gardiner is likely done for the season. It would be negligent not to at least try and get those guys ready
I get what you're saying, not confident those guys can get there though.
Missing out on some depth at the deadline is the real issue, hopefully they've learned from that mistake.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Missing out on some depth at the deadline is the real issue, hopefully they've learned from that mistake.

They couldn't have predicted their best fall safe option getting hurt right as 2 of their top 6 did.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I’m starting to believe Matthews is not going to be the superstar we hoped he’d become. Maybe he’s just not ready yet and will grow and mature but I don’t think he’ll get to the level of becoming the Leafs “Crosby”.
Crosby is a top 5 player of all time. Nobody on this planet could have realistically assumed matthews would perform at that level.
He’s a perennial 40-50 goal scorer and that’s pretty amazing. The guy has delivered as advertised 100%

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
No one is disagreeing with that statement, and yet Ottawa still has 25 wins. Which teams below them did they beat?

I don’t know or care because only one of the two teams I mentioned is supposed to be a contender. Ottawa’s moral victories don’t matter in comparison to Toronto’s squandered points.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
'Defense wins Championships" and that is how Smashville is built ...

Big, strong and built from the goalie out through strong defense first ..... Looking like one of beasts of the West, then they're built for the playoffs on personnel most years.

Our Leafs didn't even score a goal yet against the Preds this season.

Reactions: rumman

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I don’t know or care because only one of the two teams I mentioned is supposed to be a contender. Ottawa’s moral victories don’t matter in comparison to Toronto’s squandered points.

Ottawa has beat Tampa, San Jose, Nashville, Winnipeg (2x), Pittsburgh, and St Louis. Defiantly no contenders on this list, right?

You don't know or care because it makes your point ridiculous.

Reactions: Loosie

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

At the TDL, everyone was healthy. Gardiner had played 79+ games every season since 2012-13, Dermott had no issues and even Rosen they didn't find out his injury was serious until a few hours after the deadline passed.

Dubas got Muzzin, that was awesome. I'm thrilled we didn't pick up any depth pieces that were riding the bench anyway if nobody got injured. And even if Dubas had a crystal ball that saw the injuries coming, some depth Dman isn't going to be a difference maker anyway.

Reactions: ToMaLe and Loosie

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
At the TDL, everyone was healthy. Gardiner had played 79+ games every season since 2012-13, Dermott had no issues and even Rosen they didn't find out his injury was serious until a few hours after the deadline passed.

Dubas got Muzzin, that was awesome. I'm thrilled we didn't pick up any depth pieces that were riding the bench anyway if nobody got injured. And even if Dubas had a crystal ball that saw the injuries coming, some depth Dman isn't going to be a difference maker anyway.

You are thrilled we picked up no depth and are playing like crap?

What a world.

No GM has a crystal ball, yet almost all contenders picked up pieces for a run.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Big, strong and built from the goalie out through strong defense first ..... Looking like one of beasts of the West, then they're built for the playoffs on personnel most years.

but, but defense isn't sexy enough for the majority of Leaf Nation. :sarcasm:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

If the depth brought in is better than the current depth, yes it will make a difference.

Reactions: Duffman955

RLF

May 5, 2014
GM doesn't think it's a issue, we'll see if boy wonder was correct. Can't imagine Shanahan would agree being through several playoff wars, I really wonder what's going through the President's head about now?

images

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I’m starting to believe Matthews is not going to be the superstar we hoped he’d become. Maybe he’s just not ready yet and will grow and mature but I don’t think he’ll get to the level of becoming the Leafs “Crosby”.
Too bad we're already paying him like one.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
We got our depth before the deadline. Jake Muzzin was added. McQuaid has been useless for the CBJ, do people really want Erik Gudbranson and his 4M cap hit next year?

What other D was available and out there that would have been a move that made sense. Don't forget the Leafs also want to make sure they have enough cap space THIS year to pay the ELC bonuses because we won't be able to afford them next year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You are thrilled we picked up no depth and are playing like crap?

What a world.

No GM has a crystal ball, yet almost all contenders picked up pieces for a run.

If what you took from my post was that I'm thrilled were playing like crap then you really need to try harder.

We picked up Muzzin, would you have been happier had we waited until the TDL to do it?

If the depth brought in is better than the current depth, yes it will make a difference.

Everyone's yapping about Mquaid, isn't he the guy that was a healthy scratch the other night? How much of a difference do you think he would have made? When we're unlikely to get past Boston, never mind TB, I don't think it's the right time to burn futures. Not unless your Mess and think our window is closing, seems like a panic move to me.

We need the guys we have to play better, that would make 100 times the difference some depth pick up would.

Reactions: ToMaLe

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

If you are keeping Babcock and want to win the Cup during that time, you need to give him what he needs to be successful.
You have your core of Matthews/JT/Marner/Nylander.

Speedy grinders and 2 top 4 RHD.
Those 4 can score while the Hyman/Komarov types play his system to perfection and don’t get scored on. Play heavy and do the forecheck/backcheck.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We got our depth before the deadline. Jake Muzzin was added. McQuaid has been useless for the CBJ, do people really want Erik Gudbranson and his 4M cap hit next year?

What other D was available and out there that would have been a move that made sense. Don't forget the Leafs also want to make sure they have enough cap space THIS year to pay the ELC bonuses because we won't be able to afford them next year.

This.

Reactions: Loosie

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Ah, they NEED to be taking a LONG, HARD, LOOK at this team RIGHT NOW! This team is not even a playoff team with it's record since Jan. 1! Ridiculous!
Unfortunately there isn't enough time to play a different style so as good as they've done points-wise, I consider this a lost season at this point.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
If what you took from my post was that I'm thrilled were playing like crap then you really need to try harder.

We picked up Muzzin, would you have been happier had we waited until the TDL to do it?

Everyone's yapping about Mquaid, isn't he the guy that was a healthy scratch the other night? How much of a difference do you think he would have made? When we're unlikely to get past Boston, never mind TB, I don't think it's the right time to burn futures. Not unless your Mess and think our window is closing, seems like a panic move to me.

We need the guys we have to play better, that would make 100 times the difference some depth pick up would.
I'm confident that there would have been players other than McQuaid available.
Both would make a difference.

I don't consider Muzzin depth, he's a legit top 4 player. he needs to be better though.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
Believe shots were 22-20 Leafs. Renne and the Preds D was solid. He may not have stolen the game but he sure stoned JT, who scores on that chance on most goalies in the league.

To add more to this, SportsCentre showed an interview with Rinne post-game and even he admitted it was a bit of a lucky save.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Nashville is a good team with best defense but they will not get past the Peg (same as last year). Winnipeg has so much more offense and a defense that can match up. That said Rinne is always the wild card. He can stand on his head if he is in beast mode and win 4 games on his own. You are never out of it when you have a goalie like Rinne.

Our Leafs generated 1 10 beller chance and Rinne saved it. The rest of chances were not that good. Our forwards were neutralized by their defense.

Our defense was much better and limited them to 4 good chances. Muzzy made a house league mistake on Preds goal in 1st. He had the easy short outlet to Hyman up boards but he tried the harder pass to Marner up the middle. It was easily picked off and created the goal. Not much Fredd could do. But thing is who is instructing Muzzy to try this high risk play. When I watched him in LA he always made the safe pass to clear the zone. There is something wrong here and it is emblematic of what is wrong with our system. Somebody is getting Muzzy to change his normal play. Our media core is not doing enough to ask the detailed hockey questions post game. We ask powder puff questions and get back the Babs dribble. Someone should say is DJ recommending the high risk high reward cross ice pass in your own end? or the safe up the board clearance play? And who is correcting this mistake so it stops occurring.

2nd chance thank god they hit the post. Marner Kadri and Rielly on the PP take a Preds 2 on 3 and are made to look like high schoolers by the Preds 2 guys. A complete and total lack of effort by all 3 on the defensive side of the game. Quite frankly it should have been 2-0 except Johansen hit post on a wide open net from 10 feet. He is next to useless. And Freddy looked really bad how he played it too.

3rd chance while i don't like blaming any of our 3 AHL level defenders was another house league mistake by Oz. Sure Marleau screwed up but there are so many forward defensive mistakes but they can be covered up in most cases. This was one of those. Oz had his preds man in front of net. He chose to leave him and skate mindlessly into the corner for no good reason. Then cross ice pass to his open man for a tap in. Not much Freddy could do. Again where is the media questioning on the hockey side of things? Nothing. No one is held accountable by the media. I guess they all like their jobs paid for by the Leafs so it is a total conflict of interest situation going on here.

4th chance was empty netter but again a house league play by Rielly who made a very soft feed give away with very limited pressure to Preds.

That was more like a playoff game for sure but chances were 4 to 1 Preds. Boston has more offense too.

But I repeat from yesterday when you are going with Z, Marincin and Oz you have 3 AHLers who should not be playing in the NHL. Holl I think could be developed with more game time to a #7 but right now he is an AHLer too because he has not played enough this year. You simply can't win an NHL game with 3 AHLers on your back end. Clearly Dubas and Babs know it now but they were not smart enough to figure it out when we had a chance to correct it. Then again maybe they did and said well this is not going to be our year anyways so why give him some more assets to help us get through round 1. Maybe they don't think getting through round 1 is all that important. Maybe we have a huge dissconnect between the older guys who want a win this year and the younger Dubas who may be planning for a couple seasons out when Boston declines and Tampa has its cAP issues.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I'm confident that there would have been players other than McQuaid available.
Both would make a difference.

I don't consider Muzzin depth, he's a legit top 4 player. he needs to be better though.

Muzzin himself isn't a depth guy, but adding him still gives us depth as our regular #6 before the deal becomes our depth guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad