Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1 (SO)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Just take the L and move on guys. I don't understand the criticism on Andersen, he was great. Made a couple of awesome saves in overtime.

The only person I'll complain about is Codi Ceci. He started off good for a stretch of games but has returned back to his normal bad self. Timothy Lilijegren has to come in for this guy.

On the flip side, Marincin was fantastic. Not sure if anyone has done or noticed this, but Marincins neutral zone pinches and zone entry preventions at the blueline are incredible. Ever wonder why his possession stats are fantastic this season? It's because he stops the play from even beginning. Our other D like Rielly, Barrie, Ceci, etc give up the blueline very easily and hence why they get bombed with shots against.

Let's not get crazy re: Marincin. He had a great game but we've seen him get hemmed into his own zone and get "bombed" with shots against on the regular.

LeafalCrusader

Oct 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Just take the L and move on guys. I don't understand the criticism on Andersen, he was great. Made a couple of awesome saves in overtime.

The only person I'll complain about is Codi Ceci. He started off good for a stretch of games but has returned back to his normal bad self. Timothy Lilijegren has to come in for this guy.

On the flip side, Marincin was fantastic. Not sure if anyone has done or noticed this, but Marincins neutral zone pinches and zone entry preventions at the blueline are incredible. Ever wonder why his possession stats are fantastic this season? It's because he stops the play from even beginning. Our other D like Rielly, Barrie, Ceci, etc give up the blueline very easily and hence why they get bombed with shots against.

Marincin's been surprisingly effective. When Muzzin comes back Ceci should be the one to sit IMO. Don't care if that means having 4 LHD in the lineup.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Marincin's been surprisingly effective. When Muzzin comes back Ceci should be the one to sit IMO. Don't care if that means having 4 LHD in the lineup.
hard disagree. Marincin is not good, but hes been better than he has been in the past.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Let's not get crazy re: Marincin. He had a great game but we've seen him get hemmed into his own zone and get "bombed" with shots against on the regular.

Its called a learning curve. Hes not a 5 year vet after all. Usually takes a couple of years at least to get up to speed and get the confidence needed to know when to pinch and how to play different scenarios.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, my ideal healthy lineup has Marincin scratched and sitting out.

But I'm giving recognition to him this season because he deserves it. I've counted 2 terrible games out of the 10 games he's played. The other 8 were great. Maybe it's just me noticing this, but his neutral zone play is crazy (TSN mentioned it during the game too, finally getting recognition). I was watching the game with a few friends and none of them spotted those zone entry preventions (there was like 3 or 4 alone in the 1st period). In the morning if I get time, I'll record and share it!

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I have one suggestion for Keefe. If the 4th line is going to play very little, which I am fine with, as you should be playing your best players in right games, then why not dress 7 defenceman with the state of our defensive core.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I thought we played an excellent game, and were the WAYYYYYY better team. We had easily 15+ absolutely prime scoring chances, most games like that we score 5-7 goals. Allowed few prime chances against too. Rittich was absolutely unreal, maybe the best goaltending performance I’ve seen this season, though there’s plenty of luck involved there too.

Oh well, played very well, puck luck wasn’t with us tonight. Not mad when the team plays like that.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
It’s mental with Andersen. He just doesn’t have the killer competitiveness to say “I’m going to be the better goalie”
This post couldn’t be further from the truth. Andersen was phenomal, so was Rittich. The shootout is a complete joke and shouldn’t be used to decide games. A tie would make more sense at that point

You’re not a psychologist, don’t pretend like you know what is going on in someone’s head :laugh:

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
With all the skill we have.. spezza starts the SO? Gtfo

**** you Tkachuk. You shouldnt have been playing.. should have been suspended. The league always finds a way to **** toronto over.

Hope Rittich has a hard time passing that horseshoe thats jammed firmly up his ass.
and we find a way to make ********* excuses up all the time like blaming the league. I didnt catch the game, dont think it was on SNWest or any of those channels but by the sounds of it and scoreboard watching on my phone, we had a bunch of chances and Rittich was hot all night. Sucks that we lost in the shootout "gimmick" or not.

Take the point and move on to Saturday.

Reactions: Nithoniniel

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Over all today the leafs played well, We had some defensive break downs but our big issue was not taking care of the puck we had way to many turn overs. The Flames goalie stood on his head all night and we lost to a hot goalie , simple as that.

I'm not mad at the performance of the leafs tonight considering we are down our number 1D and our number 3 D . move on

Anderson hasn't been good at shootout he never has been, Luckily he's amazing in over time , and when games count come play off time shoot outs don't exist. Our forwards also haven't helped him much in shoot outs either so to put the blame on a goalie who had a .969 SV% tonight is crazy

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Andersen OUT-GOALTENDED again. This Toronto team is missing the playoffs with the trash goaltending they are getting.
Ok so who exactly do you replace him with? who is available that we can fit in with next to no cap space. I read the same **** night after night after every game, Andersen is **** Andersen cant do that yet none of you guys can ever give names. Same old broken record.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I would put Sandin in the shootout... Instead of Andersen... no just kidding. The kid i supposed to be great at shootouts.

RaFe

Aug 1, 2019
0-3 in playoff Game 7's ... thats not a preconceived notion .. that's a fact.
Last year he let in a softy from a 4th liner in Game 7 ...

Granted, he has great nights and will steal you a game ... but he will give that game right back soon after when he craps the bed.
Last year we should have won in game 6 - but the team blew it. Can't expect to go to Boston in a game 7 and win.

horner

May 22, 2007
Panthers win. We still may miss the playoffs
Debbie Downer WOW
We got beat by a goaltender standing on his head
Our defense and offensive game looked 100% better than the Florida game .
Our compete level for 60 minutes was great

Not every goaltender is going to stand on his head

If you can't be excited about this team then I don't know what to say.

O and we are missing

Rielly
Muzzin
Mikheyev
Moore

Reactions: banks

horner

May 22, 2007
Andersen is horrendous in shootouts as are the forwards. It's a shame that a skills individual competition decides who wins and who loses the game. Pretty ****ing stupid if you ask me.

Rittich is an average goaltender based on his statistics over the last 3-4 years. Leafs made him look like a Vezina trophy candidate.

That's about all that can be said. Good game by the Leafs, ****ty OT, ****tier shootout.
Its actually astonishing the delusion some posters have built up in their heads. Yes, Andersen hasn't been great in prior games. But, today, he allowed one goal on a tip from 2 feet away, and then 1 goal on 3 shootout attempts. Yes, Rittich played better, anyone trying to put this on Andersen should give their head a shake. I guess when you enter every game with a preconceived notion, its hard to accept reality.

Some people will bitch about anything

We wouldnt even be close to a positive if not for and prior to the coaching change. He was our best player most nights.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He certainly did. Beat on the wraparound in the first, stacking the pads twice out of desperation, opening up his five hole consistently.

Don't confuse results with play.

If you think Andersen looked off, OK. I thought he played well, not sure what more you could ask for.

Honestly, I think that might have been our best game of the season. With average goaltending, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up 5-1. Terrific game. I had no issues with anyone. Marincin and Ceci were great even.

I also thought this was one of our better games, I thought Calgary played well also. Great game by both teams, great entertainment and the fans got their moneys worth. Would have been great to win obviously but I am really happy that we were finally able to score and at least take a point.

Reactions: banks and meng666

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad