Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1 (SO)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don’t know what game you were watching but the better team lost.

To be fair, the goalie is part of the team so it's not clear to me that we were better. This to me is one of those games where a tie would have been just fine. Hard fought game, everyone played well but the rules now force us to utilize gimmicks until we have a winner even though ... yeah, IMO a tie would have been just fine.

The best thing about this game to me was our team D, not a bad effort at all (to put it mildly) without Rielly and Muzzin. Apparently whatever Keefe had to say to our leadership group about playing defence was taken to heart and this bodes well for the future. This team is still a work in progress but this game was very encouraging to me. If we keep making progress and get to the point where we're consistently playing strong D as a team and if Andersen is in form when the playoffs start we'll be very hard to beat. You never know, this could be the year ... :)

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Seen this story before, how long before they get bored trying to play 2-1 games and revert back to pond hockey. This is the frustrating thing about this team, if guys are willing to committ to a 200 ft game night in night out, they can win games like this. Problem is, they do it a couple of times, than realize its more fun to score, and back to mayhem.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
We win this game 10 times out of 11 and the ****ing shootout steals a point from us again. I’m gonna jump off a bridge

Hats off to Rittich though, what a game

Good thing there are no shootouts in the playoffs! ;)

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Seen this story before, how long before they get bored trying to play 2-1 games and revert back to pond hockey. This is the frustrating thing about this team, if guys are willing to committ to a 200 ft game night in night out, they can win games like this. Problem is, they do it a couple of times, than realize its more fun to score, and back to mayhem.

Id rather watch a 6-5 game then a 2-1 shootout any day.

Goals>saves

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Of all the people that post here, you have to be perhaps the biggest downer there is. Not sure why you can't enjoy it when we play well, maybe it would help if you realized that this isn't the same team that's let you down before. We have a young team and some of the most talented players ever to play in Toronto just coming into their primes, we have a new coach who's been like a breath of fresh air, he's changing the way the team plays in a big way so overnight success is basically impossible and all things considered, the way we've played since Keefe took over has been extremely good and the future looks brighter than ever.

Dunno if that helps or not but seriously man, you should be a lot happier. Leaf fans have a lot to be optimistic about right now.

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
What's that site where it shows you the expected goals for each team based on the chances? I'd guess it was around 3-2 Leafs...

Good question, I'm curious myself. I'd guess we were better than that, maybe 4-1, 5-2, something like that. Would be interesting to see, perhaps someone will provide a link.

Edit - never mind, I googled and found this:
Natural Stat Trick

I'll admit it, I was way off with my guess. :laugh::laugh:

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Of all the people that post here, you have to be perhaps the biggest downer there is. Not sure why you can't enjoy it when we play well, maybe it would help if you realized that this isn't the same team that's let you down before. We have a young team and some of the most talented players ever to play in Toronto just coming into their primes, we have a new coach who's been like a breath of fresh air, he's changing the way the team plays in a big way so overnight success is basically impossible and all things considered, the way we've played since Keefe took over has been extremely good and the future looks brighter than ever.

Dunno if that helps or not but seriously man, you should be a lot happier. Leaf fans have a lot to be optimistic about right now.

Or im more realistic. I thought they played very well last night. Im just saying they have played consecutive games like this before, and they eventually its like they get bored and try to win 6-5 again.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Or im more realistic. I thought they played very well last night. Im just saying they have played consecutive games like this before, and they eventually its like they get bored and try to win 6-5 again.

That's the whole point - who's "they"?

Under Keefe, this is like a new team. There's no reason at all to expect the past to keep repeating itself.

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
Good question, I'm curious myself. I'd guess we were better than that, maybe 4-1, 5-2, something like that. Would be interesting to see, perhaps someone will provide a link.

Edit - never mind, I googled and found this:
Natural Stat Trick

I'll admit it, I was way off with my guess. :laugh::laugh:

Oh nice, thanks. So we should have lost 2.69 to 2.45 I guess...but we out Corsi'd them pretty good. :)

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Anyone notice Kerfoot getting some PK time last night with Hyman in the box? If that's something Keefe is able to add to our 3C, I'd be pretty thrilled.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Leafs have lost 4 of their last 5.

What would you rather, Timashov playing 4 min or 7 defencemen playing 17min?

Marincin Barrie Dermott Holl Sandin Ceci Liljegren.

This is a no brainer.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Leafs have lost 4 of their last 5.

What would you rather, Timashov playing 4 min or 7 defencemen playing 17min?

Marincin Barrie Dermott Holl Sandin Ceci Liljegren.

This is a no brainer.

I suggested 7 dmen when Morgs went down. I only expect the 4th line to play less than 5 minutes when we are chasing the game. The farther ahead, the more minutes they will get.

Resistance

Nov 10, 2019
I wish the fans had the stones to force the league to eliminate the shootout, but collectively we are too weak to do anything about it, such as stop watching.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I wish the fans had the stones to force the league to eliminate the shootout, but collectively we are too weak to do anything about it, such as stop watching.
Is the belief that the majority of fans dislike the shootout?

I know very few if any leave the building until the shootout is over.
I'm guessing not many turn the tv off until it completes.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Is the belief that the majority of fans dislike the shootout?

I know very few if any leave the building until the shootout is over.
I'm guessing not many turn the tv off until it completes.

I think so. Fans still want to see finality, whether they like it or not.

To this day the shootout is cheesy to me. But I've always contested that since it won't be going anywhere, it should be five shooters instead of three. The fact that two teams can play a hard fought 65-minute game, and a team can walk away with a huge extra point after only two shooters is ridiculous.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Considering the leafs have been dropping 3 to 4 goals for like 20 games in a row im sure this is pretty new
It's not new at all. For some reason, our Leafs have had the ability to make average goalies look like vezina trophy winners far too often. It's been happening every season for as long as I can remember.

I suspect it has to do with teams playing way over their pay grades when playing our Leafs in Toronto.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad