Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 2-1 (SO)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think so. Fans still want to see finality, whether they like it or not.

To this day the shootout is cheesy to me. But I've always contested that since it won't be going anywhere, it should be five shooters instead of three. The fact that two teams can play a hard fought 65-minute game, and a team can walk away with a huge extra point after only two shooters is ridiculous.
Yeah I don't like it either and I agree if they have to have it they should expand the amount of shooters.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
BIG SAVE DAVE killed us again. The guy made like 6 10 bellers on us last night. We won that game with skaters but lost to a 1 man show. No biggie. It happens. This guy is going to the all-star game as best goalie in the west for a reason. We all saw it last night. Tip your hat to a guy who can do that.

I personally watch the shoot out. Why would I leave my seat when the game is not yet decided? But that does not mean I am in favour of it. It is a very small part of the game but it is a marketing gimmick. I think most of the mid age to older gentlemen on here like me likely dislike it because we did not live it. But the young kids love it. Both my hockey playing sons love it.

I also stand up and watch a fight. But there are lots of kids who hate the fights now. The game is changing and it will continue to get more skilled. My guess in 10 more years you will hardly see any contact in the game. To me it makes game more boring but that said I love the see the highlight reel skilled goals too. Somehow i wish we could have a more skilled league and a tougher league but I would bet against that occurring. Too many defensemen are becoming rovers. and the trend likely continues. I hope the NHL will ref the games in the playoffs differently going forward too. But we will see.

Reactions: Rogie and ACC1224

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Is the belief that the majority of fans dislike the shootout?

I know very few if any leave the building until the shootout is over.
I'm guessing not many turn the tv off until it completes.

After 3on3, the SO is such an anti-climax. It maybe used to be dramatic (though I've always hated it), but lately it feels like exactly what it is: the quickest way to decide a game that couldn't be decided after 65 minutes.

Reactions: ACC1224

horner

May 22, 2007
Honestly, I think that might have been our best game of the season. With average goaltending, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up 5-1. Terrific game. I had no issues with anyone. Marincin and Ceci were great even.
I agree
Full 60 minutes of hockey

The defence looked great.
Marincin needs to stop shooting the puck , that was my only complaint.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
BIG SAVE DAVE killed us again. The guy made like 6 10 bellers on us last night. We won that game with skaters but lost to a 1 man show. No biggie. It happens. This guy is going to the all-star game as best goalie in the west for a reason. We all saw it last night. Tip your hat to a guy who can do that.

I personally watch the shoot out. Why would I leave my seat when the game is not yet decided? But that does not mean I am in favour of it. It is a very small part of the game but it is a marketing gimmick. I think most of the mid age to older gentlemen on here like me likely dislike it because we did not live it. But the young kids love it. Both my hockey playing sons love it.

I also stand up and watch a fight. But there are lots of kids who hate the fights now. The game is changing and it will continue to get more skilled. My guess in 10 more years you will hardly see any contact in the game. To me it makes game more boring but that said I love the see the highlight reel skilled goals too. Somehow i wish we could have a more skilled league and a tougher league but I would bet against that occurring. Too many defensemen are becoming rovers. and the trend likely continues. I hope the NHL will ref the games in the playoffs differently going forward too. But we will see.

Mid 30s here, so not middle age yet, but I am growing to like the SO less and less as the years go on.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Mid 30s here, so not middle age yet, but I am growing to like the SO less and less as the years go on.
Same. Shootouts are a bore. I watch to see the resolution of the game, but I wish it came another way.

To be honest, I'm getting less and less enthused about 3-on-3 too. Can be terrific fun, but mostly it's about managing the puck to an extent that can become straight up boring as well.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Same. Shootouts are a bore. I watch to see the resolution of the game, but I wish it came another way.

To be honest, I'm getting less and less enthused about 3-on-3 too. Can be terrific fun, but mostly it's about managing the puck to an extent that can become straight up boring as well.

It's stupid. straight up. It's not hockey, and deciding anything by basically doing drills and shootouts is idiotic. One of the top things I hate about the Age of The Weasel in the NHL.

rad_sci_guy

Aug 17, 2005
Thornhill
Is the belief that the majority of fans dislike the shootout?

I know very few if any leave the building until the shootout is over.
I'm guessing not many turn the tv off until it completes.

Your point does not correlate to people liking shootouts. Most people watch the game till the very end to see the final result not necessarily because they want to see the shootout.

If the game winner was to be determined with one player from each team shooting from centre ice at empty nets would most people still watch till the end to know the final result?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Your point does not correlate to people liking shootouts. Most people watch the game till the very end to see the final result not necessarily because they want to see the shootout.

If the game winner was to be determined with one player from each team shooting from centre ice at empty nets would most people still watch till the end to know the final result?
I have no idea of the majority of fans like it or dislike it.
It was in response to why the shootout isn't going to go away.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I don't get the need for a winner. Ties are fine

I'd have no problems whatsoever with bringing the tie back. But to solve the point distribution dilemma, it should be scrapped and the NHL should adopt the MLB style standings -- Wins, Losses, Games Back. Simple.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I agree although I think awarding 3 points for a regulation win is where the league is lagging.
That would make regulation that much more interesting, especially down the stretch.
I don't want to see us go the way of soccer completely here. It is already bad enough we got a shoot out. Giving a team 3 points for a regulation win really throws away our history. I'd say what was wrong with a tie. It has been fine for 100 years.

But if they want to take away the loser point I am completely ok with that outcome but not with a shoot out outcome. Keep playing 3on3 until a winner is decided. or accept the tie result.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I was always a big fan of Lefebvre, a guy you almost never noticed but it was because he just did everything right. Very safe. Was thinking last night Engvall reminds me of a forward version of this. Not to say he never makes a mistake but I find myself frequently watching little decisions he makes and thinking "exactly". Whether it's a chip or where he chooses to go with a play, he seems to make a lot of very smart plays that many other guys mess up which leads to opportunities the other way. If more guys follow his thinking/actions, it would go a long ways.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I don't want to see us go the way of soccer completely here. It is already bad enough we got a shoot out. Giving a team 3 points for a regulation win really throws away our history. I'd say what was wrong with a tie. It has been fine for 100 years.

But if they want to take away the loser point I am completely ok with that outcome but not with a shoot out outcome. Keep playing 3on3 until a winner is decided. or accept the tie result.
Yeah I get that but NHL records are skewed by history anyway. 3 points would really only affect any Total Points records and thats already been affected by the removal of ties.

Think anyone will ever approach some of Gretzky's records? If in his prime and playing today would he have these same records?
The Great One's 23 unbreakable records
(some of these are insane)

Times change, things evolve.
IMO, game forever changed once the Cap was instituted.
One day records will be divided by Pre-cap and Post-cap.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

3 point wins in regulation in the only way to go. Scrap overtime and shootout altogether. If they are tied at the end of regulation they both get a point. This loser point is a bunch of nonsense.

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
Tavares is 54% on faceoffs this year, Matthews is 55%. He's also a better hockey player and much more suited to 3v3 hockey
Tavares has NO business being on the ice in OT, that's not his game.

What are you talking about? Matthews can't play the whole 5 minutes. Tavares has how many overtime points the last year and half? He's not the best skater, but he has good possession, and great shot, and high IQ. Maybe the idea of not starting Matthews and Marner was that teams change most often in OT when they have possession which would give possession to our 2 best players in 3 on 3 hockey, whereas an opening face-off is essentially a coin flip

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I was always a big fan of Lefebvre, a guy you almost never noticed but it was because he just did everything right. Very safe. Was thinking last night Engvall reminds me of a forward version of this. Not to say he never makes a mistake but I find myself frequently watching little decisions he makes and thinking "exactly". Whether it's a chip or where he chooses to go with a play, he seems to make a lot of very smart plays that many other guys mess up which leads to opportunities the other way. If more guys follow his thinking/actions, it would go a long ways.
Ditto what you said, nobody's surprised me more than Engvall this season, great hockey iq and situational awareness and he uses his size and long reach to full advantage, shielding the puck and making passes at angles you don't even see until he makes it. And he can turn on a dime, skate like the wind and kill penalties. Not too bad.

Last edited:

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Ditto what you said, nobody's surprised me more than Engvall this season, great hockey iq and situational awareness and he uses his size and long reach to full advantage, shielding the puck and making passes at angles you don't even see until he makes it. And he can turn on the time, skate like the wind and kill penalties. Not too bad.
I only caught the 1st period last night but saw and saw that he fell on his face.
Was he alright?

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
I'd have no problems whatsoever with bringing the tie back. But to solve the point distribution dilemma, it should be scrapped and the NHL should adopt the MLB style standings -- Wins, Losses, Games Back. Simple.
But MLB don't have ties, they play until someone wins and they do it the right way no gimmicks like q homerun derby. As said many times they need to go to a 3-2-1 point system, but for some reason they haven't. Anyways get rid of the shoot out.

SnizzMitch

Leafs Fan Till I Die
Jan 30, 2016
Eastern, Ontario
PS
It does matter how well the other goalie is playing, you make no sense... if a goalie is hot, he doesn't let in too many goals... keep it simple simon
I was saying that because we can’t make excuses every game we lose, what is it gonna be next game? Their offense was too good? At the end of the day, we need the 2 points..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad