Post-Game Talk: Leafs lose 0:2 TBay

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I agree. When a team is playing so inconsistently it's hard to argue the coach is blameless, in fact that's probably the first place to look. On the other hand, we're 10th overall so I'm willing to stay patient and give him a pass for another year or two as long as he keeps moving us up the standings.

Gary love ya like a brother but...

What is a normal character trait of a young male? A: Inconsistency

What do we have a lot of on the Leafs? A: Young males

I'll give you an example my son who is in late teens sometimes brushes his teeth with regularity but recently I've had to coach him on the importance of brushing his teeth with consistency. I guess you can say he is like many young males inconsistent in execution of a task.

The key points of what Babcock coaches does not change day to day, he is very consistent in that manner. The people who have to execute the game plan are inconsistent in their effort and execution.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They're likely a playoff team but the question is are they anything more than a 1st round exit team, which right now I don't see them as anything but.

Is that worth trading futures?

Well, if they're a playoffs team with the very noticeable holes, aren't they a better playoffs team with some of those holes plugged.

And if their scouting is any good at all outside of the top 10-15 picks, they have to have some excess of the same things since they drafted so many of the same player. You use the excess of what you have to plug those holes. No way are they going to run with Marner, Bracco, Johnsson, Timashov, Brooks, Dziekels in the same line-up. If you traded 4 of those for a position of need it would be more valuable than ignoring the problem(s). Of course it is possible outside of Marner there isn't a single NHLer in that list. Which leads to the question then, would you rather throw away picks on players you will never use or throw away picks on players who can help your team?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I'll give you an example my son who is in late teens sometimes brushes his teeth with regularity but recently I've had to coach him on the importance of brushing his teeth with consistency. I guess you can say he is like many young males inconsistent in execution of a task.

The key points of what Babcock coaches does not change day to day, he is very consistent in that manner. The people who have to execute the game plan are inconsistent in their effort and execution.

So it's our young guys that are inconsistent and our veterans are consistent? Seriously?

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So it's our young guys that are inconsistent and our veterans are consistent? Seriously?

The old guys like Bozak, JVR have never showed they can do anything besides what they are currently doing, so yes they are consistent. Jake has always played this way, he is consistent in that matter. The young guys are all world one day and barely NHL calber the next.

So I'd say yes seriously.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
The old guys like Bozak, JVR have never showed they can do anything besides what they are currently doing, so yes they are consistent. Jake has always played this way, he is consistent in that matter. The young guys are all world one day and barely NHL calber the next.

So I'd say yes seriously.

You were saying we're inconsistent because we're young and now you're saying everyone's inconsistent? Or sorry, consistently inconsistent?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
The puck never got to KADRI, not sure what angle he is talking about. What a hater lmao

lol on the PP Marner put it in tape for Naz on a 2 on 1 and Kadri shit/shot (friggen iphones) it way wide of the net.

It’s his first game back so won’t crap on him much plus he did his job of containing Stamkos and Kucherov

Last edited:

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I used to be against a big trade for a defenseman and I know that Zaitsev is out but I think its time for a couple reasons.
1. We need to get value back for players that won't be here in the future
2. We need to solidify the back-end. There isn't enough talent to run Babcock's team-defense.

I would NEVER post this on the main trade board but based on historical trade returns, I think the following could return a top pairing guy

Gardiner (#3 LHD) + Kapanen (top-6 NHL ready prospect) + 1st

I really think that could open up discussions for a guy like OEL or we could pair it down and get a Tanev or a Braun. Trade Bozak/Carrick/etc and use those assets towards the 2nd tier solutions (Guds?).

Zaitsev - OEL
Hainsey - Rielly
Borgman - Gudbranson

The top-4 becomes legit and the bottom two will be hard to play against.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge

And what do you do when your 35 yr old son still refuses to brush his teeth consistently eg Bozak, Kadri, JVR, Gardiner? I say you as a father have failed in some way and accept that you haven’t imparted your wisdom as well as you should/could have.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
Pretty annoying refereeing though. I never complain about reffing but last night was bad. There were even a few offsides they missed that I could see as plain as day, not to mention multiple missed penalties.

One of those offsides was about 15 second before Martin took his roughing penalty in front of the net too.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
And what do you do when your 35 yr old son still refuses to brush his teeth consistently eg Bozak, Kadri, JVR, Gardiner? I say you as a father have failed in some way and accept that you haven’t imparted your wisdom as well as you should/could have.

You hope to god some girl comes along and she can then deal with his hygiene. I haven't failed. I've done everything in my power to teach him, its his choice at the end of the day. Horse to water kinda thing.

I live by a motto, when dealing with any employee, if you have a problem employee you have to ask yourself is it will or skill. Do they lack the will to do what you ask or do they lack the skill? If they consistently lack the "will" but have the skill I will terminate their employment, if they lack the skill but have the will I give them the training and coaching needed to complete the task.

IMO JVR and Jake are two guys that come to mind that have the skill but lack the will.

Last edited:

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Tampa's confidence levels don't seem to be impacted by not making the playoffs last year.

Could argue it made them hungrier.

But who wants to argue about the value of "experience"? ;)

For a team that made the cup finals and the ECF's the 2 years prior, I think they'd love to argue the value of experience :laugh:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol on the PP Marner put it in tape for Naz on a 2 on 1 and Kadri **** it way wide of the net.

It’s his first game back so won’t crap on him much plus he did his job of containing Stamkos and Kucherov

Yeah that was probably the most disappointing moment of the game for me. It was just one moment and absolutely he did his job but still, watching that puck sail so far wide was ... disappointing.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
For a team that made the cup finals and the ECF's the 2 years prior, I think they'd love to argue the value of experience :laugh:

2 full offseasons and they have virtually the same roster? Amazing.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
You were saying we're inconsistent because we're young and now you're saying everyone's inconsistent? Or sorry, consistently inconsistent?

I'm saying the vets have had numerous coaches to show they can grow into complete players, they have not. they are one dimensional. The kids still have room to grow (hopefully), they have great games and poor games. If Marner, Matthews and Nylander hit that superstar status they will have consistency in their game.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I'm saying the vets have had numerous coaches to show they can grow into complete players, they have not. they are one dimensional. The kids still have room to grow (hopefully), they have great games and poor games. If Marner, Matthews and Nylander hit that superstar status they will have consistency in their game.

So all our veteran players are not complete players, are one dimensional and ... I guess therefore inconsistent (since that's what's being discussed here). Hmm, OK then.

I disagree. This is largely the same roster than was one of the top teams in the league and played consistently well for the last few months of last season and in the playoffs. I also wouldn't paint all our veterans with the same brush, seems too simplistic.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah that was probably the most disappointing moment of the game for me. It was just one moment and absolutely he did his job but still, watching that puck sail so far wide was ... disappointing.

Good goalies force you to pick corners, vesa has been more than good lately.

To me that wasn’t the most disappointing moment, it was Bozak carrying the puck and losing it to tampa guys all night while JVR just skating without being engaged was the most disappoint moments.

The refs calling phantom penalties on us also didn’t help while not calling hooking and interference on Tampa.

Both Willy and Matthews and to some extent Hyman were hooked and interfered but the A1 ass of a ref didn’t call all legit penalties on Tampa.

We are now 1-12 whenever that guy refs our games.

Its clearly not an outlier with the stats being so lopsided

Last edited:

gtforepro

Feb 9, 2013
Toronto
NoDepositBonus.cc
I had front row Golds last night courtesy of Santa (aka my wife). Amazing seats and amazing to watch Marner live and that close. I was thinking he'd get 3rd star, even though they got shut out.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Good goalies force you to pick corners, vesa has been more than good lately.

To me that wasn’t the most disappointing moment, it was Bozak carrying the puck and losing it to tampa guys all night while JVR just skating without being engaged was the most disappoint moments.

The refs calling phantom penalties on us also didn’t help while not calling hooking and interference on Tampa.

Both Willy and Matthews and to some extent Hyman were hooked and interfered but the A1 ass of a ref didn’t call any penalties on Tampa.

We are now 1-12 whenever that guy refs our games.

Its clearly not an outlier with the stats being so lopsided

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to give Kadri a hard time. It's just that I'm such a huge Kadri fan that I'm just dying to see him break out of this slump, that's all.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
So all our veteran players are not complete players, are one dimensional and ... I guess therefore inconsistent (since that's what's being discussed here). Hmm, OK then.

I disagree. This is largely the same roster than was one of the top teams in the league and played consistently well for the last few months of last season and in the playoffs. I also wouldn't paint all our veterans with the same brush, seems too simplistic.

It is easier to point the finger at Babs. lol I do believe part of his decisions are coming from behind closed doors from Execs. PLAN = Training the young players + upping trade value for some of the vets.

Consistency IMO IS a real issue for this team.

How any team can hammer the SC Champs in under 7 minutes with 3 goals 1st period, and then another game vs a bottom feeder be stuck in the D zone for 5 minutes screams inconsistency.
Last months "1st period snoozes" only to semi wake up for the 2nd, and we would start hammering teams in the 3rd, unfortunately sometimes too little too late

We'll see how this home stretch will play out. We need another win streak.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to give Kadri a hard time. It's just that I'm such a huge Kadri fan that I'm just dying to see him break out of this slump, that's all.

The way I see it when Bozak/JVR were in a funk Naz was scoring. Now that he is in a funk someone else alias to step up.

Can’t ecpect the same guys going all the time. Matthews gets shutdown, Kadri in a funk what is Bozak line’s excuse?

Heck Martin played like 5 mins yesterday what if Leivo/Kappy played instead; we would have had another offensive option.

So when Matthews and Kadri line are quiet at least there are other two lines that can go offensively.

It seriously ticks me off how asset management is being handled by Leafs brass and then the roster choices and line ups are decided because of the asset management.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It is easier to point the finger at Babs. lol I do believe part of his decisions are coming from behind closed doors from Execs. PLAN = Training the young players + upping trade value for some of the vets.

Consistency IMO IS a real issue for this team.

How any team can hammer the SC Champs in under 7 minutes with 3 goals 1st period, and then another game vs a bottom feeder be stuck in the D zone for 5 minutes screams inconsistency.
Last months "1st period snoozes" only to semi wake up for the 2nd, and we would start hammering teams in the 3rd, unfortunately sometimes too little too late

We'll see how this home stretch will play out. We need another win streak.

This is what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm setting the bar too high and every team is inconsistent to a degree but it's just frustrating to see a team like Vegas be the model of consistency, if they can do it why can't we? I don't buy the youth excuse either, we had a ton of rookies last year, all those guys have a year under their belt now which should be worth something, plus we added Marleau and Hainsey who's presence should help.

The way I see it when Bozak/JVR were in a funk Naz was scoring. Now that he is in a funk someone else alias to step up.

Can’t ecpect the same guys going all the time. Matthews gets shutdown, Kadri in a funk what is Bozak line’s excuse?

Heck Martin played like 5 mins yesterday what if Leivo/Kappy played instead; we would have had another offensive option.

So when Matthews and Kadri line are quiet at least there are other two lines that can go offensively.

It seriously ticks me off how asset management is being handled by Leafs brass and then the roster choices and line ups are decided because of the asset management.

This may indeed be part of the problem.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Was at the game:

Good:
Rielly, Gardiner, Marner, Gauthier, and Andersen all played great in my opinion.

Bad:
Matthews and Nylander were shut down and weren't as awesome as they usually are.

Ugly:
At this point, I don't know how Komarov is in the NHL; he's a turnover machine and clearly doesn't have the speed or puck handling ability to keep up at this point in his career. Polak is an absolute wreck and is a massive detriment to the team. On the ice for both goals... Could very well be blamed for the first. And shocker: he took a stupid penalty again.

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad