Sportsnet: Leafs looking at Tocchet?

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
If you are relying on Marner to score goals you are looking at the wrong player. You can expect about 20 over an 80 game season from him any thing else is gravy. Marner's is an assist man, not a goal scorer.

If Leafs are paying Marner 11m to continue to score 0 goals in his next 18 games as well Dubas will be fired very soon.

horner

May 22, 2007
If you are relying on Marner to score goals you are looking at the wrong player. You can expect about 20 over an 80 game season from him any thing else is gravy. Marner's is an assist man, not a goal scorer.

Marner had more goals than the natural goal scorers JT and Nylander

Marner 20 goals 55 games = 30 goals 82 games
Taveras 19 goals 56 games = 28 goals 82 games
Nylander 17 goals 51 games = 27 goals 82 games

He had a crappy playoff but his regular season was great.

He's not a natural goal scorer but I will take that production .

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If Leafs are paying Marner 11m to continue to score 0 goals in his next 18 games as well Dubas will be fired very soon.

Zero PP goals in his last 73 REGULAR season games but one can hope. Seriously even a blind squirrel finds an acorn yet our elite $11m winger can't buy a PP goal. You can't make this stuff up.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree .the MSLE BOARD shouldn't have to spend the summer trying to convince dubus he gave UFA contracts to RFA s
He'd be fired in tge real world

Any fool knows Dubas gave UFA money to the 3 Amigos. Only in Leaf land is incompetence rewarded until the fans make enough noise to get management to act (see Ron Wilson, Larry Murphy).

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Dubas could always move Keefe into the head office, and hire a new coach. I'd rather a player shakeup than a coaching one though. Same guys who sucked for Babcock sucked for Keefe.
So give the dude another job after failing at the one he was gifted?

Is he someone on the boards son or something?

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Any fool knows Dubas gave UFA money to the 3 Amigos. Only in Leaf land is incompetence rewarded until the fans make enough noise to get management to act (see Ron Wilson, Larry Murphy).
Murphy is the best example- nothing fans whining to get him out and he becoming an integral part of two Cups with Detroit and if course, because of the usual impatient "fans" the would like to push out another all star player.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Murphy is the best example- nothing fans whining to get him out and he becoming an integral part of two Cups with Detroit and if course, because of the usual impatient "fans" the would like to push out another all star player.
Like Kessel :)

Reactions: ToneDog

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Always looking to bring guys in to help kick these guys in the arse. Preparations A through G were complete failures. I give you - Preparation H

gsqaOVSYsqCd3x0uNmwC27r_lrglZdJHfs14ptdxrXaUHfZO1qV2zobTqWtigcFzGFVGApBXmZlGCtxCfWRCSrJWWTJYgNoMyUuYncfKlN14C085YnsQFHIwYabfi9p6X2N_y3-3XTNoBY-j_7lPIQ-32A8ZKg

Reactions: Lumberg

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
The main PP personnel hasn't changed enough for me to believe it's a player issue, though they could be a contributing factor.

Powerplay rank by season.
  • 2016-17, 2nd
  • 2017-18, 2nd
  • 2018-19, 8th
  • 2019-20, 6th
  • 2020-21, 16th
The two balanced PP unit strategy was definitely more successful, but it still heavily featured 16, 34, 44 & 88 even if they were often split up. I think we miss Bozak's RHS as the hole man, but that really shouldn't be a difficult role to replicate with someone else, Nylander, for instance.

god i love and miss Bozak.

Reactions: banks

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
I really think what went wrong with the Leaf Powerplay is that they decided the 30+% pace they were at wasnt good enough and tried to be perfect. Somewhere along the way they started trying to make the perfect play and they live in fear of the puck being shot down the ice. If they would just shoot their high percentages and not look for 100%, and maybe just maybe do it urgently, they could get back to 20+%.

I'm not sure it's Marner's fault, but personally when I'm watching, I blame him and Rielly.

Reactions: ToneDog

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The main PP personnel hasn't changed enough for me to believe it's a player issue, though they could be a contributing factor.

Powerplay rank by season.
  • 2016-17, 2nd
  • 2017-18, 2nd
  • 2018-19, 8th
  • 2019-20, 6th
  • 2020-21, 16th
The two balanced PP unit strategy was definitely more successful, but it still heavily featured 16, 34, 44 & 88 even if they were often split up. I think we miss Bozak's RHS as the hole man, but that really shouldn't be a difficult role to replicate with someone else, Nylander, for instance.
With each passing year Marner and Reilly became less of a shooting threat with a pass only mentality. It came to a head this season when it seemed like neither Marner or Rielly would muster up anything more than a weak snap/wrist shot. End result: Leaving 4 PK to cover 3 shooters.

In the meantime Muzzin could have manned the point and Marner at point on PP2.
PP1: Nylander-Tavares-Matthews-Spezza/Gally-Muzzin

A rookie PP coach could have figured this out.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
I’m not sure how anyone could view Nylander’s contract as a bad contract, he earns what he’s paid imho. The other 2 contracts are not good ones though, definitely agree with you there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad