Sportsnet: Leafs looking at Tocchet?

mcleafs

Jan 2, 2020
We’re never going to get a competent assistant coach here unless Dubas pays them more than Keefe. Imagine playing second fiddle to the worst coach in the league?

Who will sign up for that?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Bring in Tocchet for defense. Boudreau for Offense. Keep Malhotra to work faceoffs, special teams, and be an eye in the sky. MacLean continues to be our coaching consultant.

Let's spend that MLSE money
Don't say Maholtra and special teams unless you use the word not in the sentence.

Reactions: FraumBallard

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Bring in Tocchet for defense. Boudreau for Offense. Keep Malhotra to work faceoffs, special teams, and be an eye in the sky. MacLean continues to be our coaching consultant.

Let's spend that MLSE money

From where this love for Boudreau comes from? Honestly, I want to know. Was he top secret head coach of Lightning last two years or something.

All I've heard from Ducks is that he was main reason they couldn't contend. His tongue was glued into rear ends of Perry and Getzlaf. We want same treatment for Matthews and Marner? At same time he throws Spezza under the bus, so he seems tough in the media.

If we want more accountability and less choking Boudreau is odd candidate.

Reactions: Prominence

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
We’re never going to get a competent assistant coach here unless Dubas pays them more than Keefe. Imagine playing second fiddle to the worst coach in the league?

Who will sign up for that?
Yeah, they would sign in Toronto. The Leafs have a good coaching staff. The get head coaching jobs often. There is no reason why he would play second fiddle to the worst coach or any bad coach when he can come to Toronto.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
He's Phil Kessel's favourite coach, so I don't think he's nearly the ass-kicker as a coach that he was as a player.

He is the complete opposite coach as he was a player. As a head coach it's a recipe for disaster but he can be a very good assistant in the right mix.

Reactions: geo25 and Korg

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Someone I know who is a Penguins fan said he can run a PP. I'm assuming he was running the Penguins PP during his 3 years there.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Sort of smells like a guys media friends are trying to get his name out into the news cycle.

Doesn't particularly strike me as a guy Dubas' would have interest in

He got hired as the Coyotes head coach while that Chayka guy was the GM and he was an analytics guy I believe.

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Will this help Marner score goals?

None of these moves matter if Marner continues to fail in the playoffs.

If you are relying on Marner to score goals you are looking at the wrong player. You can expect about 20 over an 80 game season from him any thing else is gravy. Marner's is an assist man, not a goal scorer.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
With Boudreau involved, we’d hopefully see improvement.

Also, it’s been 3 different assistant coaches. At what point is it maybe a players issue lol

The main PP personnel hasn't changed enough for me to believe it's a player issue, though they could be a contributing factor.

Powerplay rank by season.
  • 2016-17, 2nd
  • 2017-18, 2nd
  • 2018-19, 8th
  • 2019-20, 6th
  • 2020-21, 16th
The two balanced PP unit strategy was definitely more successful, but it still heavily featured 16, 34, 44 & 88 even if they were often split up. I think we miss Bozak's RHS as the hole man, but that really shouldn't be a difficult role to replicate with someone else, Nylander, for instance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad