Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
can Hyman play center at the NHL level? seems like a tailor made solution to the 4th line center hole if so, while also not saddling any of the scoring lines with his lack of offense. This team is going to wear defenses out if they have to try to defend everyone on the top 3 lines

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's possible, but I believe a switch would be more about balancing the two lines. Matching up LW-C-RW, an argument could be made about who's more productive. Adding it all up, I'd say it leaves the two lines as essentially equal. I also think those players could - and maybe will as needed - be mixed and matched throughout the season, and any combo would be a lot to handle for the opposition.
Not to mention Babcock can switch Hyman because the addition of Tavares changes the entire structure of how he will deploy Matthews and when. It’s not close to being the same as having to deploy Matthews/Kadri and shelter Bozak/JVR.
We don’t have a shelter line anymore.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Out:

F Matt Martin (trade)
F Josh Leivo (trade/waivers)
Prospects
Draft Picks

In:

D Justin Faulk (trade)

---------------------------------

Hyman........Matthews....Nylander
Marleau......Tavares.....Marner
Johnsson.....Kadri.......Kapanen
Grundstrom...Lindholm....Brown
Jooris

Rielly......Faulk
Gardiner....Zaitsev
Dermott.....Hainsey
Borgman.....Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Not to mention Babcock can switch Hyman because the addition of Tavares changes the entire structure of how he will deploy Matthews and when. It’s not close to being the same as having to deploy Matthews/Kadri and shelter Bozak/JVR.
We don’t have a shelter line anymore.

Well said. Imagine there's still more change to come at both forward and defence, but the forward group looks to be nicely improved in two-way capability. Still have a 30+ goal scorer on each line too, according to last season's stats. Great on paper, it should be great on ice as well.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
martin and leivo will be gone. Martiin has been great in the dressing room but our young guys took his spot ie. kappy, brown etc.

no room for him here. and leivo is a big coke head supposedly. couple of my buddies know him and say hes wack. leafs will get rid of both of these guys.

marleau - matthews - nylander
hyman - tavares - marner
johannson - kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Kapanen

I love Grundstrom's game and he fits perfectly on the 4th line. I think he gets the spot. Let's not forget Dubas knows his marlies better than anyone. Johansson (for sure) and Grundstrom will graduate next season.

All four lines are deep and a mix of high end talent, grit and both young / veteran presence (led by marleau and tavares).

I still think we need an upgrade on D - at least one more guy ... andhopedully Zaitsev has a strong year. Injuries hurt him last season.

Reactions: Duke16

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Where do the Marner-Tavares, Matthews-Nylander combinations rank league-wide in terms of 1-2 punches? Must both be comfortably top 10, at least.

Mar 26, 2010
Where do the Marner-Tavares, Matthews-Nylander combinations rank league-wide in terms of 1-2 punches? Must both be comfortably top 10, at least.
Top 10?

Top 3 I would say.

bonjovi0308

Jan 26, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Jooris........Matthews....Nylander
Hyman......Tavares.....Marner
Marleau.....Kadri.......Brown
Johnsson...Lindholm....Kapanen

Probably the fastest and most dangerous 4th line in the NHL.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I used to have insomnia, and one of things I started doing was making up lines in my head when I went to bed....no lie, it fixed it.

Over the last few years I would think about how JVR was essentially our third line left wing. This seemed to be the thing that put me into deep sleep, I was worried with him leaving that I would lose that important key to initializing sleep. I was needlessly worried as I have no trouble getting to sleep these past two days. Damn...look at the time.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Top 10?

Top 3 I would say.
Chill lol Giroux-Voracek, Bergeron-Marchand, Benn-Seguin beat them out until they prove they're better
I think Tavares-Nylander would be a good combo.
Yep I think I prefer something like this

Nylander-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Grundstrom-X-Brown

Mar 26, 2010
Chill lol Giroux-Voracek, Bergeron-Marchand, Benn-Seguin beat them out until they prove they're better

Yep I think I prefer something like this

Nylander-Tavares-Kapanen
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Hyman
Grundstrom-X-Brown
Matthews/Tavares are WAY better than the Giroux duo IMO.

Reactions: TimeZone

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Johnsson Matthews Marner
Hyman Tavares Nylander
Marleau Kadri Kapanen
Jooris Lindholm Brown

Obviously Babcock won't do this but it would be interesting to watch

Reactions: saffronleaf

Thissiteisgarbage

Oct 14, 2014
can Hyman play center at the NHL level? seems like a tailor made solution to the 4th line center hole if so, while also not saddling any of the scoring lines with his lack of offense. This team is going to wear defenses out if they have to try to defend everyone on the top 3 lines
As much as I'd like to see him on the 4th, it will almost certainly never happen with Babcock making the decision

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
My buddy who i trust alot said Babs said he is gonna play Hyman- J.T - Marner
"Babs has a quote saying he’ll put Hyman with taveras and marner"

So i think the lines will be
Hyman - JT - Marner
A.J - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - K.K
Grunstrom - Maybe GOAT IDK WHO FILL THIS ROLE - Brown

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown/Kapanen
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Bracco/Brown/Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen
McElhinney/Sparks

Svanstrom

Oct 26, 2013
Lund, Sweden
Grundström and Johnsson should absolutely get their chance. Grundström could basically take on any role and I feel Johnsson should get a chance on a top line and pp to begin with.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Hyman
Grundström - Lindholm - Brown

Reilly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - ???

Reactions: The Masters

mapleleafs34

Apr 7, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.