Line Combos: Leafs Lines Going Into Next Season (2018-2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Not a leaf fan but excited for their team . Seems to me like the leafs need a d man & a 4th line center . Do they have enough cap space for Kruger, the ex hawk? He would gel so well with that leafs line up .

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Only thing I’m not sure about at at moment is Marleau with Matthews and Nylander at 5v5. They didn’t seem to work well on the Pp together

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Not a leaf fan but excited for their team . Seems to me like the leafs need a d man & a 4th line center . Do they have enough cap space for Kruger, the ex hawk? He would gel so well with that leafs line up .
The last thing we have is cap space for overpaying 4th liners lol

Intact

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga ON
Only thing I’m not sure about at at moment is Marleau with Matthews and Nylander at 5v5. They didn’t seem to work well on the Pp together
Marleau will be doing so much forechecking and board-work at 5v5 than he does on the power play, his role will be different. He didn't thrive last year distributing, and he won't be asked to do it too much with these 2 thankfully. What Matthews and Nylander need most is a player who will improve their puck possession, and make higher percentage plays than Hyman's hot potato like passes. Of course Marleau is a much better 5 on 5 goal scorer than Hyman, and will be a much more lethal threat on the rush

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Doubt management wants to tie up money in a 4th line C moving forward. I get the impression that they want to develop one cheap internally.

Based on recent interviews, it seems like they have a lot of faith in Lindholm as the 4C. If that fails, it's sink or swim for the Goat.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Kadri-Brown
Kapanen-Jooris-Leivo

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Carrick/Ozig

Reactions: Prince N

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
If we go by what Babs' said of the top two lines:

Marleau - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Then:
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Lindholm/Jooris - Kapanen

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

Still more moves to come though, depth wise. Based on reports I think Martin is moved, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make a big splash on the blue line.

Reactions: Liminality

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Toronto is seriously looking good up front and in goal. That's obvious. A couple of seasons ago, they remind me of a team being built like te hawks. They had their Toews and Kane in Matthews and Marner and were still in need of that big d-man at the back. But this current team has shaped out to look more like the 2012-2015 San Jose Sharks (Thornton, Coture, Marleau, Pavelski etc) or how the Pens built their team (Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Letang) I'm optmistic about Rielly, Dermott. Doesn't needed to be stated. Obviously we need another two-way defensemen.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Doubt management wants to tie up money in a 4th line C moving forward. I get the impression that they want to develop one cheap internally.

Based on recent interviews, it seems like they have a lot of faith in Lindholm as the 4C. If that fails, it's sink or swim for the Goat.

And either Brooks or Ferguson may be ready by the trade deadline to step in if necessary.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Then:
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

There is no 4th line. The 4th line is the 3rd line, and vice versa.

Defense, hard to say.

Rosen, he probably is one of the most talented player the Leafs have. Raw skill, he has it. If he can put it together position wise, he could be the smaller version of Bogre Salming.

Since Polak is gone, Borgman should be in there.

But, that is too names.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Then:
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

Still more moves to come though, depth wise. Based on reports I think Martin is moved, but I'll be pleasantly surprised if they make a big splash on the blue line.

That's probably real close. Smart guy/gal you listened to interviews. People making stuff up when Mike told us his intentions. Doesnt mean it sticks the whole yr but you're damn close.

I also agree more moves coming. Dubas even said hrs into having JT guys who wanted bigger $ and term went down in their ask to play with us. I'd imagine more of them today.

Also dubas mentioned outside top big 4 or 5 (kadri would make it 5) brown, Hyman...Rielly Gard Hainsey Zaits.

We are scary deep..we were before but not at center. LHD log jam. This is why de haan..not sure of..but his game is like Polaks only hes way faster. Hits, blocks shots. Now if we want him hes ours ..unless he is greedy, JT and him didnt get along or JT tells Dubas something he didnt know.

If JT praises him, all good things to say etc I think we have him.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
It should be (hyman on the third line):

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Kadri Kapanen
Jooris Lindholm Brown

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Another ontario boy.

Yup...its all on couple things.

Like I said.

Jt praise, Jt tells him take less and come.

Or

Jt tells dubas dont because of something only a team mate would know

De Haan is greedy goes for money.

If hes smart he takes less signs with us to win a cup. If he is dumb or we dont want him ..well we dont get him.

Dubas said several guys hours after JT trade called willing for less term and money. Safe to say anyone..pretty much..we want to sign is going to come here just because of how our JT signing kicked open our cup window door.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011

4th line center option is Lindholm or Goat. Maybe Moore but we havent resigned him so assume not. So we may make a trade maybe not. Babcock boasted about Lindholm.

D LOG JAM LHD.

We may be signing De Haan. Getting JT yesterday made our team better defensively big time..as well as losing JVR and Bozak who last yr esp were really bad in our zone. Team D is just or more imp than positional players.

2x cup champs Penguins can tell you that.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I'd like to see our top 9 as

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Tavares - Marner
Marleau - Kadri - Kapanen

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I find it interesting that Babcock already thought about switching Hyman onto a line with Tavares.

Makes you wonder if Matthews expressed a desire to have a more skilled player on the LW... during their meeting in Arizona.

samwitch

Feb 27, 2008
Marleau - Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Johnsson - Kadri - Brown
Grundstrom - Lindholm - Kapanen

I would like to see Grundstrom with Matthews and Nylander at some point.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
before kapanen or johnsson move up in lines, or grunny makes the team, i think they gotta show babs they can play good defense first

Jeypic

Sep 12, 2015
Marleau Matthews nylander
Hyman Tavares marner
Johnnson kadri kapanen
Leivo lindholm brown

Damn that’s scary

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I find it interesting that Babcock already thought about switching Hyman onto a line with Tavares.

Makes you wonder if Matthews expressed a desire to have a more skilled player on the LW... during their meeting in Arizona.

It's possible, but I believe a switch would be more about balancing the two lines. Matching up LW-C-RW, an argument could be made about who's more productive. Adding it all up, I'd say it leaves the two lines as essentially equal. I also think those players could - and maybe will as needed - be mixed and matched throughout the season, and any combo would be a lot to handle for the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad