Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lift Us Up to Let Us Down - TOR 1, FLA 3

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Another game where its simply not good enough. Most of the team apart from a few players look disinterested in playing. Never mind the give aways in our own end, how do you expect to win any games if your only going to show up for 15 mins of the game and throw 20 shots on net?

One of the "leaders" on this team need to step up and say enough is enough with the bullshit effort they have been putting in. Its pretty obvious in this league that you need to put hard work ahead of your skill or else these are the results you get.

Reactions: Erdinger

Cecithepylon

May 4, 2017
Every team goes through slumps. Here’s hoping that at some point soon (Tomorrow would be nice) all the lines finally click and Matthews and Nylander start going. When all the pieces click our team is a power house. When they don’t click well..

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
We'll most likely be in a wildcard spot after tonight. Win tmrw and back into 2nd. Need to end this slump ASAP.
1st WC might be the sweet spot for the Leafs. Only way they could possibly get out of the 1st round

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Another game where its simply not good enough. Most of the team apart from a few players look disinterested in playing. Never mind the give aways in our own end, how do you expect to win any games if your only going to show up for 15 mins of the game and throw 20 shots on net?

One of the "leaders" on this team need to step up and say enough is enough with the bull**** effort they have been putting in. Its pretty obvious in this league that you need to put hard work ahead of your skill or else these are the results you get.
Who are the leaders?

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Every team goes through slumps. Here’s hoping that at some point soon (Tomorrow would be nice) all the lines finally click and Matthews and Nylander start going. When all the pieces click our team is a power house. When they don’t click well..
This slump has been going on a long while. Freddy won a ton of games for them earlier which masked it

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Well according to Babcock its Marleau, Hainsey ,Tavares. Wouldn't be a bad time for one of the younger players (Matthews,Rielly, Marner) to step up and be a leader either.
I think Babcock plays some weird game with Matthews. Anytime he starts flourishing Babcock knocks him down a peg

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It depends how we're doing by the time trade deadline rolls around. The team came in to the season looking to contend and if they think they can do so, moving Gards isn't ideal. I agree Kappy should not be traded, guys like Brown and Z along with the first rounder should be on the table though if we're looking to upgrade.

Whooaaahhh. 1st rounder?

Unless they are getting an Ellis ( 6.25 thru 22/23)or Elkholm (3.75 thru 21/22) type D, there is no way they can part with draft picks.
My fear, if they start trading assets now, they may shut thier window.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't spend any draft picks YET either. Give Babcock one more playoffs to see if he can win ONE round with this group. He SHOULD be able to win at least one f***ing playoff series with these guys, I don't care who it's against. If they end up in the last Wildcard spot and have to face Tampa in the first round then that's on him. If they lose to Boston again, that's on him.

If Babcock can't get this team past the first round this season though or if they miss the playoffs entirely (based on recent play....), then it's time to fire him first and spend a draft pick on some defensive help. Obviously Babcock would benefit from defensive help too but I think he should be able to get this roster past the first round as-is and if he can't, it's better not to be spending assets on this coach because it's a sign that he shouldn't be the coach.

TL;DR: I'm in favour of spending draft picks now but I'm just unsure if they're worth spending yet so I wanna see Babcock win one playoff series first and if he can't then fire him and spend them next year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We'll most likely be in a wildcard spot after tonight. Win tmrw and back into 2nd. Need to end this slump ASAP.

1st WC spot might actually be good. As someone mentioned last night, wouldn’t a 1st round playoff matchup with the NYI be epic.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I wouldn't spend any draft picks YET either. Give Babcock one more playoffs to see if he can win ONE round with this group. He SHOULD be able to win at least one ****ing playoff series with these guys, I don't care who it's against. If they end up in the last Wildcard spot and have to face Tampa in the first round then that's on him. If they lose to Boston again, that's on him.

If Babcock can't get this team past the first round this season though or if they miss the playoffs entirely (based on recent play....), then it's time to fire him first and spend a draft pick on some defensive help. Obviously Babcock would benefit from defensive help too but I think he should be able to get this roster past the first round as-is and if he can't, it's better not to be spending assets on this coach because it's a sign that he shouldn't be the coach.

TL;DR: I'm in favour of spending draft picks now but I'm just unsure if they're worth spending yet so I wanna see Babcock win one playoff series first and if he can't then fire him and spend them next year.

Thats a catch 22. It look likes the playoff teams are almost set....barring injuries I can’t see Buffalo catching anyone.
Assuming that is the case, which team do you feel the Leafs could beat with their current roster?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Well according to Babcock its Marleau, Hainsey ,Tavares. Wouldn't be a bad time for one of the younger players (Matthews,Rielly, Marner) to step up and be a leader either.

Marner - 9th in the league in PPG
Matthews - 10th in the league in PPG
Rielly - 3rd in the league in dman PPG

horner

May 22, 2007
For a supposedly fast team its alarming how many icings we have. I thought getting rid of Polak would help but it hasn't

Stretch passes
We arent using our speed

I don't care for our game

Players waiting up at the Blueline for a pass.

If it dosent work

Icing

Now we are hemmed in our own zone which we suck at.

Reactions: great

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
3:1 in powerplays with the only PP being an off-setting minor while the Panthers were on the man advantage. 31st in the league two straight years in PPs for. 24 months of sample size to clearly assume the refs are officiating Leaf games different from other games. How can one of the fastest teams in the league draw next to no penalties?

Not blaming the refs for last night's pathetic effort, but there were easily a few missed calls against Florida. It's been a consistent theme the last few weeks for some reason.

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Definitely in a slump. So many guys have gone cold at the same time.

Won't last forever of course but still sucks to watch for now.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
babcock's solution is always, always MOAR HYMAN.

no matter what happens, the worst offensive forward on the team never loses his prime role. it's pretty amazing.

and hey, Isles are killing it and the Leafs are treading water. $11m for Johnny T.

Didn't you just post a bunch of stats in the last day or two to "prove" how elite they were? And now they're treading water?

That's one helluva flip flop.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
well, those kids led us out of the basement into the penthouse.

what have "leaders" marleau/hainsey/tavares done?

I think your missing my point, I'm not complaining about the young guns play over the past years. They have been stellar for us, I would say this is the first time in their career though where their work effort has been questioned. Over the past 10/11 games everyone apart from Mitchy and a few others, have looked disinterested in playing. All I'm saying is that it would be a good time to step up as a leader and show the others how you are supposed to play the game and not just be a passersby.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad