Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lift Us Up to Let Us Down - TOR 1, FLA 3

RLF

May 5, 2014
Would you rather the turn over at the opposing teams blue line or inside the leafs blue line. The Leafs wingers have an uncanny inability to to chip it past the defender.

Chipping it in is useless if you have no speed going to get it back. There is no need to turn it over at our blueline if they are hanging back in the neutral zone and only really forechecking with one forward. A quick short pass to a speeding forward is how you break through that kind of neutral zone defence. Having all 3 forwards between the redline and their blueline basically standing there waiting for an 80' pass is a turnover waiting to happen with them hitting our flatfooted D with speed. Our D have to give up the blueline or they will be beat by the oppositions speed. It's why we spent all night in our end. We looked better in the third, because we were coming back for the puck and hitting the neutral zone with our speed.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Reminds me of the Big M. Won the calder, scored 48 goals to set the Leaf record and then Imlach destroyed him mentally. Ended up getting traded and winning two more cups with the Habs. Anyone old enough here to know who I’m talkng about?

I taught him tennis. I was a kid basically but knew my stuff, it was at the most expensive club in Canada.

He was retired but still athletic. He had incredible talent. But on day A, he would play like an actual tennis professional, day B, he would barely hit a ball over the net.

Strangest guy I have ever coached. In terms of day to day effort. Sure hope Matthews isn't like this.

But its starting to seem like it.

I can spot a Big M faster than just about anyone now, after my experience.

Heck, Dubas just gave 7 million to the little N.

Reactions: Ports

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Good strategy by him.

People jumped on Craig Button this week when he put some of the blame of this bad stretch on Babcock.

It’s apparent Babcock doesn’t like the team, but it’s what he has and it should be good enough to make the playoffs. With Carolina and Buffalo scuffling along it be only a matter of positioning now

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Chipping it in is useless if you have no speed going to get it back. There is no need to turn it over at our blueline if they are hanging back in the neutral zone and only really forechecking with one forward. A quick short pass to a speeding forward is how you break through that kind of neutral zone defence. Having all 3 forwards between the redline and their blueline basically standing there waiting for an 80' pass is a turnover waiting to happen with them hitting our flatfooted D with speed. Our D have to give up the blueline or they will be beat by the oppositions speed. It's why we spent all night in our end. We looked better in the third, because we were coming back for the puck and hitting the neutral zone with our speed.

I hear you.
But....If the Leaf wingers were inside their blue line the defence would defend them there. That is probably too dangerous with most Leaf wingers. I’d rather see icings than turnovers inside the blue line. They at least have a 50/50 chance to get the puck back.

Having the D try to chip of the glass or flip it to centre if they are pressured, like most good teams do (Washington were artist last year in the playoffs) would be flat out disastrous.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
3:1 in powerplays with the only PP being an off-setting minor while the Panthers were on the man advantage. 31st in the league two straight years in PPs for. 24 months of sample size to clearly assume the refs are officiating Leaf games different from other games. How can one of the fastest teams in the league draw next to no penalties?
Ya it is getting a little obvious at this point.....

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I really hope Babcock is fired or his assistant coaches fired if the leafs have a poor playoff this year.

The system is just not working most nights

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
babcock's solution is always, always MOAR HYMAN.

no matter what happens, the worst offensive forward on the team never loses his prime role. it's pretty amazing.

and hey, Isles are killing it and the Leafs are treading water. $11m for Johnny T.
Agree totally. The past few nights there have been blatant giveaways and less than full effort to go along with his zero offensive skills. Why is he never put on the 4th line, even once? Bab logic at its best.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I hear you.
But....If the Leaf wingers were inside their blue line the defence would defend them there. That is probably too dangerous with most Leaf wingers. I’d rather see icings than turnovers inside the blue line. They at least have a 50/50 chance to get the puck back.

Having the D try to chip of the glass or flip it to centre if they are pressured, like most good teams do (Washington were artist last year in the playoffs) would be flat out disastrous.

I don't think you exactly get where I am going with it. I am not saying have everyone come back, nor am I talking about when the puck has been established in our zone. I am fine with 1 guy flying the zone to look for the stretch pass and drive back their D. Our issue is when our D pick up, have a clear path with the puck and come for a breakout - all our forwards are gone. There is no one to pass to unless you throw a stretch pass. It is easy to defend.

These aren't great examples, but check out the 1:59 and 2:29 marks of the Leafs highlights last night. No one for the D to pass to really. Compare to the 4:18 mark. That is what I am talking about. The 4:18 mark is really the kind of play I mean. Normally, there would be all 3 forwards between the redline and blueline and our only play would be a hopeful chip in.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agree totally. The past few nights there have been blatant giveaways and less than full effort to go along with his zero offensive skills. Why is he never put on the 4th line, even once? Bab logic at its best.
Nylander was moved to the 4th line last night.

Reactions: diceman934

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Babcock lacks creativity.

Man really moved Brown up the lineup to help get a goal lol. Dont know how anyone could defend that decision.

And Hyman keeps his top 6 role the whole time despite his inability to do anything offensively.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010

So why not just come out and work? Instead of talking about it after the game all the time, it is in their control to come out and work. I mean how many times do you come out and face the media with the same excuse? Either we have a dumb group or players, or a lazy group. Work ethic at this point is pretty damn sad.

Agree! I'm so tired of him saying the same thing over and over. If he knows it, why does he keep coming out flat?? Makes no sense. Show some desire and desperation for once. He's not even worth $10Mil with the way he's been playing lately.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Matthews is not worth anywhere near McDavid money.
Not even close, I've watched enough of McDavid to know that any argument that he deserved as much or more was just to get a rise out of Leafs fans.

McDavid works his ass off every shift and makes something happen when he's out there.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The stretch pass needs to go. Seriously. Let me say this again.

The stretch pass. Needs. To. Go. I'd rather be playing strong defensively score fewer goals and feel like more of a cohesive unit then to have this separation between forwards and defense as we attempt these stupid stretch passes that the league has adapted too.

And for the love of god babcokc...STOP JUGGLING THE LINES. How is anyone suppose to get into a groove when you change the lines mid game, every game while at the same time you are focusing heavy on line matching so players are on the ice, rush off the ice rush on the ice switch off the ice...STOP.

You have a deeply talented team. It doesn't matter if the 4th line somehow gets paired against the top line in a own zone face off. Trust that they will work and get the puck out to create a natural line change.

Stop worrying that Matthews is up against Chara. He is talented, he will figure it out.

Let the gd kids play with some consistency.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, POINT SHOTS ON THE POWER PLAY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. STOP THE GOD DAMN SEAM PASSES. WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IT. I COULD DEFEND IT AT THIS POINT.

HEY! Puck is going to Willie/Marner. Guess I'll just skate over to Matthews/Tavares then and block the pass! herp derp! Oh the puck is at the point to Rielly. Let me just skate over to Marner/Willie...

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I taught him tennis. I was a kid basically but knew my stuff, it was at the most expensive club in Canada.

He was retired but still athletic. He had incredible talent. But on day A, he would play like an actual tennis professional, day B, he would barely hit a ball over the net.

Strangest guy I have ever coached. In terms of day to day effort. Sure hope Matthews isn't like this.

But its starting to seem like it.

I can spot a Big M faster than just about anyone now, after my experience.

Heck, Dubas just gave 7 million to the little N.

Yea, so the nickname “little N”.....I’d leave that one at the door

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
Ya it is getting a little obvious at this point.....

You guys also have the second to least pp Time so they are not calling anything against you either...also, you’re not a cycle team which is where many penalties are drawn. You are more An off the rush team and you end up scoring a lot on these rushes so....

Reactions: notDatsyuk

RLF

May 5, 2014
The stretch pass needs to go. Seriously. Let me say this again.

The stretch pass. Needs. To. Go. I'd rather be playing strong defensively score fewer goals and feel like more of a cohesive unit then to have this separation between forwards and defense as we attempt these stupid stretch passes that the league has adapted too.

And for the love of god babcokc...STOP JUGGLING THE LINES. How is anyone suppose to get into a groove when you change the lines mid game, every game while at the same time you are focusing heavy on line matching so players are on the ice, rush off the ice rush on the ice switch off the ice...STOP.

You have a deeply talented team. It doesn't matter if the 4th line somehow gets paired against the top line in a own zone face off. Trust that they will work and get the puck out to create a natural line change.

Stop worrying that Matthews is up against Chara. He is talented, he will figure it out.

Let the gd kids play with some consistency.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, POINT SHOTS ON THE POWER PLAY LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. STOP THE GOD DAMN SEAM PASSES. WE ALL KNOW YOU ARE TRYING TO DO IT. I COULD DEFEND IT AT THIS POINT.

HEY! Puck is going to Willie/Marner. Guess I'll just skate over to Matthews/Tavares then and block the pass! herp derp! Oh the puck is at the point to Rielly. Let me just skate over to Marner/Willie...

I agree with alot of this. We do not adjust well in game to the other teams defensive style. That is the biggest issue to me.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
As far as the penalties goes, it's the style of play. If you get rid of the puck before the opposing player gets close, you won't draw a penalty. It you don't play hard along the boards, you won't draw a penalty. If you don't bump your opponent, you won't draw a retaliation penalty.

What stood out the most last night was the difference in going after a free puck - the Leaf went in with his stick, and the Panther went in with his body, and the Panther won about 90% of the time.

When trying to exit the zone, when the wingers stay inside the blue line, none of them seem to be able to get the puck past the point man. Other teams see this, and pinch all the time. (As an aside, I also watched the Caps' game, and Komarov is still one of the best at making sure the puck gets out, without icing.)

Reactions: Trawna Phan

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't think you exactly get where I am going with it. I am not saying have everyone come back, nor am I talking about when the puck has been established in our zone. I am fine with 1 guy flying the zone to look for the stretch pass and drive back their D. Our issue is when our D pick up, have a clear path with the puck and come for a breakout - all our forwards are gone. There is no one to pass to unless you throw a stretch pass. It is easy to defend.

These aren't great examples, but check out the 1:59 and 2:29 marks of the Leafs highlights last night. No one for the D to pass to really. Compare to the 4:18 mark. That is what I am talking about. The 4:18 mark is really the kind of play I mean. Normally, there would be all 3 forwards between the redline and blueline and our only play would be a hopeful chip in.

I get exactly what your saying.

There are too many Leafs forwards that can handle the puck so D let’s them be. It’s not a coincidence that some guys seem to get a lot stretch passes and the skilled guys don’t. I’d rather those wingers be as far away from the Leafs net as possible anytime they touch the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad