Post-Game Talk: Leafs Lift Us Up to Let Us Down - TOR 1, FLA 3

RLF

May 5, 2014
I get exactly what your saying.

There are too many Leafs forwards that can handle the puck so D let’s them be. It’s not a coincidence that some guys seem to get a lot stretch passes and the skilled guys don’t. I’d rather those wingers be as far away from the Leafs net as possible anytime they touch the puck.

Lol. Well, the guy who circles back isn't going to be Hyman etc. But every line has a guy, some have two, capable of hitting our blueline with speed and skill to back off defenders , gain the blueline or if pressured hard, hit the redline and dump it in at full speed and keep going to recover it. You have to adjust to how the other team is defending you. If there was one perfect way to do it, every one would play the same way.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Lol. Well, the guy who circles back isn't going to be Hyman etc. But every line has a guy, some have two, capable of hitting our blueline with speed and skill to back off defenders , gain the blueline or if pressured hard, hit the redline and dump it in at full speed and keep going to recover it. You have to adjust to how the other team is defending you. If there was one perfect way to do it, every one would play the same way.

That’s what they try....if they dump it they’ll have two guys standing still that will caught in transition.

What were are both saying is it’s hard to win in the NHL with a handful of good players

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
As much as I criticized people that felt Q is much better then Babcock, he is actually the better fit for the roster we have.
If Babcock were to be fired though, My number one choice is still Keefe.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I honestly didn't think they'd win against Tampa Bay, so that was a bonus. But looking at the Florida game on the schedule, it felt like a trap game about a week out from the actual date. I think from the Leafs players perspective, it shows a kind of lack of focus and respect for a consistent approach. They won a big game the night before, and didn't think much of a middling, sun belt team with zero fans.

It's a problem that they go into a game against Boston thinking like they're matching up against a nemesis, have Pastrnak in their heads, etc. and don't even respect the more generic sun belt teams like Florida, Carolina and Arizona teams they could grab 2 points from.

I expect them to start winning again as we play Arizona, but that's also a psychological hurdle.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I honestly didn't think they'd win against Tampa Bay, so that was a bonus. But looking at the Florida game on the schedule, it felt like a trap game about a week out from the actual date. I think from the Leafs players perspective, it shows a kind of lack of focus and respect for a consistent approach. They won a big game the night before, and didn't think much of a middling, sun belt team with zero fans.

It's a problem that they go into a game against Boston thinking like they're matching up against a nemesis, have Pastrnak in their heads, etc. and don't even respect the more generic sun belt teams like Florida, Carolina and Arizona teams they could grab 2 points from.

I expect them to start winning again as we play Arizona, but that's also a psychological hurdle.
I can agree with this. This team hasn't learned yet that they aren't going anywhere unless they skate as hard as the other team. They aren't talented enough to win without giving 100% all the time.

Reactions: stickty111

RLF

May 5, 2014
That’s what they try....if they dump it they’ll have two guys standing still that will caught in transition.

What were are both saying is it’s hard to win in the NHL with a handful of good players

Ah No, that is not what I am saying. I think we have the talent up front. I am saying we have a better chance to win if we change our breakout style to counter what the other team is doing to defend it. Instead, we continually play right into their system. We need to have options if what we are doing is being shut down. We seem intent on continuing to do it whether it is working or not.

Reactions: Trawna Phan

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Agree, enough of the excuses, show some pride and prove you're worth the money. Where's the urgency?

What's truly alarming, this contract looks less and less tradeable with each day, despite the bonuses structure. At the very least the return is falling.

Only matter of time before he starts getting booed if he does not show some compete.

Reactions: DarkKnight
Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Babcock lacks creativity.

Man really moved Brown up the lineup to help get a goal lol. Dont know how anyone could defend that decision.

And Hyman keeps his top 6 role the whole time despite his inability to do anything offensively.

Not only that, but Hyman is seemingly immune to punishment even after countless unforced turnovers. His inability to clear the zone was on full display this week.

Reactions: Wendelstache

Melo Meds

Jul 30, 2018
Fustrating lose yesterday. Sometimes I feel it's better to stay off the internet after those types of games. Seems like almost everyone of our forwards outside of Tavares, Marner and Kapanen are slumping right now. The power play is as cold I've seen it be in years. I think they're too talented of a team to not figure it out soon. Rather us get cold now instead of in March/April. Plenty of time to make adjustments and improve.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I can agree with this. This team hasn't learned yet that they aren't going anywhere unless they skate as hard as the other team. They aren't talented enough to win without giving 100% all the time.

They have to get to a level maturity where they realize the consistent approach night after night establishes a strong baseline which they can build upon to have more success in tougher situations, not go Harlem Globetrotters when the going is good and then check out of games because of disinterest.

In many ways I'd rather not see them win too many of those 7-1 games. They're fun to watch but for a young team it distorts their idea of who they are. More often than not, the GWG in a game 7 is not going to be a curl and drag snipe to the top corner or a tick tac toe passing play. Gotta learn to play that end of season brand of hockey.

Reactions: Maplebeasts

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is a terrible idea. They're trying to contend now and are still amongst the best teams in the conference. The only guy of those 3 that should be traded is Z as he is objectively terrible.

Gardiner is on an expiring contract and would be prime target.
I hope they don’t trade assets for expiring contracts, for example, assuming Kappy wants to re-sign I wouldn’t include him in a deal for Ferland and D. Now if gascstated he doesn’t want to re-sign, then sure trade him.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Gardiner is on an expiring contract and would be prime target.
I hope they don’t trade assets for expiring contracts, for example, assuming Kappy wants to re-sign I wouldn’t include him in a deal for Ferland and D. Now if gascstated he doesn’t want to re-sign, then sure trade him.
It depends how we're doing by the time trade deadline rolls around. The team came in to the season looking to contend and if they think they can do so, moving Gards isn't ideal. I agree Kappy should not be traded, guys like Brown and Z along with the first rounder should be on the table though if we're looking to upgrade.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
Gramps here. Team was tired plain and simple. The played flat out the night before and gave everything they had to win. Good news is Sparkie held them in the game giving team a chance right to the very bitter end. There is not much more to say about that one. Reading into it any more is wasting your time. Go Leafs Go!

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
It’s one thing to be upset about the recent play. But for people to call for Babcock to be fired and trade Matthews is just baffling.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Ah No, that is not what I am saying. I think we have the talent up front. I am saying we have a better chance to win if we change our breakout style to counter what the other team is doing to defend it. Instead, we continually play right into their system. We need to have options if what we are doing is being shut down. We seem intent on continuing to do it whether it is working or not.

Too many passengers. Marleau, Kadri, Brown, Goat, Lindholm, Willy, Gards, Zaitzev, Oz, Dermott. Too many guys who are providing nothing, and a couple of them are liabilities. Maybe I am being too harsh, but if you look at our record over the past month+, how can you argue?

Reactions: Erdinger

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
It’s one thing to be upset about the recent play. But for people to call for Babcock to be fired and trade Matthews is just baffling.
I don't think calling for Babcock to be gone is baffling. Same old crap that is obviously not working with the personnel he has to work with. Try someone new. He obviously will not change up anything. Any coach can win when the starting goalie is standing on his head all season stealing games while the gong show in front of him is never altered at all. It's obvious that Freddy is responsible for them even being in a playoff position. Players seem to have tuned the coach out

RLF

May 5, 2014
Too many passengers. Marleau, Kadri, Brown, Goat, Lindholm, Willy, Gards, Zaitzev, Oz, Dermott. Too many guys who are providing nothing, and a couple of them are liabilities. Maybe I am being too harsh, but if you look at our record over the past month+, how can you argue?

If you play a system that plays into other teams hands...do you think anyone will be successful? They will look like they are passengers and not getting the job done. No? We have looked really good some nights and not others. I don't think it is just the players taking too many nights off, although effort has lacked at times for sure and is a problem some nights.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If you play a system that plays into other teams hands...do you think anyone will be successful? They will look like they are passengers and not getting the job done. No? We have looked really good some nights and not others. I don't think it is just the players taking too many nights off, although effort has lacked at times for sure and is a problem some nights.
Then it's a coaching problem so why is it difficult to understand fans calling for a change there. Babcock's stubbornness is just crazy.

Reactions: stickty111

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Maybe that's part of the problem, you might be right.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
We'll most likely be in a wildcard spot after tonight. Win tmrw and back into 2nd. Need to end this slump ASAP.

Reactions: Erdinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad