Post-Game Talk: Leafs kind of try, and lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Well, I got what I wanted which was the third worst save% game of the year from the Isles against the Leafs.

...only problem is that Anderson was worse.

Thats a shame.
Yeah ,if you don't win scoring 4 goals,then there are likely multiple issues to deal with. Luck plays a roll,Refs play a roll,but this can't keep happening. They've only scored first 5 times this year...that needs to stop.

Reactions: SoVi3t

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Sometimes the horses are not good enough

It's the level of the mistakes that gets me the worst right now.

They're missing passes by a 10 feet, doing no look drop passes to NOBODY, just non stop stupid bonehead plays one after another.

This is why we had people sitting out past the start of training camp demanding top dollar? This is why we had to send GOOD f***ing people packing, to make sure we could sign THIS level of compete?

They are NOT playing NHL quality hockey.

Reactions: Legendary

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Ha Ha, i'll take it. That means he's in the greasy areas where our softies know nothing about. You don't win in the NHL playing perimeter hockey.
Well,let's just see how many your boy gets this season...I hope it's a lot,truly...but I have my doubts. and not all offensive talents find it necessary to go into the 'greasy' areas to be successful! Some can actually shoot and make plays on the fly.You know,the guys they pay the big bucks to...the ones that the league uses to sell the game.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Don't forget how many holding calls by his Oline get overlooked
Yeah, that's what I was getting at. PrideOfDetroit actually had an article breaking it down over a 5 year period of Lions vs. Packers games. Every Packer lineman grabs jersey or shoulder pad on every play. They're operating on the assumption that the ref won't call it on every play...

Reactions: baton elevated

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Well,let's just see how many your boy gets this season...I hope it's a lot,truly...but I have my doubts. and not all offensive talents find it necessary to go into the 'greasy' areas to be successful! Some can actually shoot and make plays on the fly.You know,the guys they pay the big bucks to...the ones that the league uses to sell the game.
Oh I believe you, plays on the fly are beautiful and great to watch when executed but then you have to make a zone entry and there is where the play dies. Usually in the corners or on the boards. That's where Zachy excels. Don't get me wrong, I know he isn't a superstar but he provides what we lack alot of. That's where balance comes in and he balances things.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Can we get rid of the stack one PP crap? It sucks, change it. Let's go back to something similar to before Tavares in how we split it

One unit could have Tavares, Marner, Rielly
The other could have Matthews, Nylander, Barrie

then have guys like Kap, Johnson, Mikheyev, Hyman (yes Hyman, we need greasy goals on the pp and him at the front of the net could potentially help) fill out the units
The problem isn't stacking the PP, it's that most teams who stack one PP unit play that unit for most of the PP. Not Babcock, though...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
A serious mental shakeup is needed, and again, it circles back to only one thing.. trading either Marner or Matthews. Sadly, both have become unlikable, so it's difficult to pick who to hitch the wagon to now... but one has to go
If you trade either of those guys now, you are GOING to regret it...

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
The reason we lost tonight, had nothing to do with physicality.
The guys who keep arguing for more physicality remind me of my father, who is constantly ranting about how the Leafs aren't tough enough. Then he gets mad when I point out that getting tougher wingers with Babcock still here is just going to lead to a Helm-Abdelkater situation...

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Oh I believe you, plays on the fly are beautiful and great to watch when executed but then you have to make a zone entry and there is where the play dies. Usually in the corners or on the boards. That's where Zachy excels. Don't get me wrong, I know he isn't a superstar but he provides what we lack alot of. That's where balance comes in and he balances things.
I agree ,there are moments when he has helped,just not enough for my liking. I just feel a top line guy should be able to do more.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
thats right. a billion dollar franchise is run by someone who doesn't have any significant experience and on top of that trying to do that no team has ever done in the history of NHL to win the cup (just skill and nothing else); meanwhile overpaying RFAs at the same time while no other team in the League has done so ...
Our last few GM's have been very experienced. One managed to give Boston two top 10 draft picks for Kessel, one managed to sign David Clarkson to an almost untradeable contract to make us "tougher", and one saddled us with $10 million of shit we ended up having to cough up assets to get rid of. Experience doesn't automatically mean success.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
i remember when matthews was drafted i thought we had finally obtained a real MAN, and real super-talented hard-nosed player that was gonna impact the entire league

and after his first few interviews i immediately realised that this matthews guy was no man and no warrior, but that he was just this simple, yet-to-grow-up type of kid and wow, what a disappointment that was for me. His off-ice antics earlier this summer only prove it further. He's just a kid without direction, but then again what do you expect for someone his age. The whole matthews thing has soured tremendously in Toronto. Right now he's just a shell of what he was supposed to be, and most of that is because he's mentally immature and not yet grown - what a disappointment indeed. Will he get there? I don't know. Not until he turns into man and leaves this teenager-mentality behind him

Nylander? probably worse. more concerned with braiding his goldilocks hair and playing xbox games (look it up, his interviews also prove this) - just a kid, which blows my mind that somebody like this is playing professional hockey and makes all that money. just watch his interviews with reporters, Cabbie, etc - you could argue that he's like a 15-year old

Marner - just another small, scared, timid little guy who fleeced the team and now sits back and collects cheques. Although I do admit that out of the 3 he is the most likely to mature the quickest

I'm telling you, the Leafs got totally screwed over by all of these guys. it has utterly backfired on them in ways that none of us had imagined

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Do you think AJ is a top two line player? Is he more effective than Hyman? Just because AJ has more skill than Hyman doesn't make him a better hockey player.

Different skill set ,obviously. Is he a top line player? Not on any team I'm coaching. If we're picking sticks out of the pile,it would depend on what I thought the team needed most ,but all things being equal I take Andreas first.

Neither of them are top line players on a truly good team, but they're what we have. I don't fully understand why you're bashing on Hyman, though; yeah, he's not a big goal scorer, and Babs absolutely overplays him, but unless you've got a prime Rick Nash somewhere the Leafs could replace him with, he's okay for the grind the corners role on a scoring line.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
i remember when matthews was drafted i thought we had finally obtained a real MAN, and real super-talented hard-nosed player that was gonna impact the entire league

and after his first few interviews i immediately realised that this matthews guy was no man and no warrior, but that he was just this simple, yet-to-grow-up type of kid and wow, what a disappointment that was for me. His off-ice antics earlier this summer only prove it further. He's just a kid without direction, but then again what do you expect for someone his age. The whole matthews thing has soured tremendously in Toronto. Right now he's just a shell of what he was supposed to be, and most of that is because he's mentally immature and not yet grown - what a disappointment indeed. Will he get there? I don't know. Not until he turns into man and leaves this teenager-mentality behind him

Nylander? probably worse. more concerned with braiding his goldilocks hair and playing xbox games (look it up, his interviews also prove this) - just a kid, which blows my mind that somebody like this is playing professional hockey and makes all that money. just watch his interviews with reporters, Cabbie, etc - you could argue that he's like a 15-year old

Marner - just another mall, scared, timid little guy who fleeced the team and now sits back and collects cheques. Although I do admit that out of the 3 he is the most likely to mature the quickest

I'm telling you, the Leafs got totally screwed over by all of these guys. it has utterly backfired on them in ways that none of us had imagined
:thumbd::help:

I Believe

Mar 5, 2011
Toronto
Think I need to take a small break, team is not fun to watch right now.

I think they'll turn it around but for now, yeesh.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

Marner - just another small, scared, timid little guy who fleeced the team and now sits back and collects cheques. Although I do admit that out of the 3 he is the most likely to mature the quickest

Sad but true.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Neither of them are top line players on a truly good team, but they're what we have. I don't fully understand why you're bashing on Hyman, though; yeah, he's not a big goal scorer, and Babs absolutely overplays him, but unless you've got a prime Rick Nash somewhere the Leafs could replace him with, he's okay for the grind the corners role on a scoring line.
Well then,perhaps you have brought to light a problem.The Leafs don't have enough talent for their top 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad