Rumor: Leafs Interested in Tyler Myers #61

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Myers (and Tryamkin for that matter) were attempts by our incompetent management and coaching to bring in a "Pronger", based purely on their height and nothing else. Tryamkin was quoted as saying they sat him down, showed him how Pronger played, and saying he should play like that.

I'm sure Myers was brought in with the same idea...which is stupid. He's reasonably physical, but his main game is offensive, as a puck mover. We didn't have a ton of that when he was signed, but Hughes beats everyone we have in that regard.

Not worth 6 million for what he brings to us, but in contrast to my earlier post, Myers at some retention isn't a bad bet.

But all these giraffe images don't have enough things randomly happening around them. Could a car turn to ice cream? Sure. Could something explode? You bet. Could it start raining giant, novelty cheques for $1,000,000? Also, some how, yes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Probably more reason for Dubas to go after him. Don't care for him and stuck with another contract on a guy who has declined. No thanks Kyle.
Myers has had a poor season (most of the Canucks D has)..He hasn’t physically declined though..A good skater for his size.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Myers (and Tryamkin for that matter) were attempts by our incompetent management and coaching to bring in a "Pronger", based purely on their height and nothing else. Tryamkin was quoted as saying they sat him down, showed him how Pronger played, and saying he should play like that.

I'm sure Myers was brought in with the same idea...which is stupid. He's reasonably physical, but his main game is offensive, as a puck mover. We didn't have a ton of that when he was signed, but Hughes beats everyone we have in that regard.

Not worth 6 million for what he brings to us, but in contrast to my earlier post, Myers at some retention isn't a bad bet.

But all these giraffe images don't have enough things randomly happening around them. Could a car turn to ice cream? Sure. Could something explode? You bet. Could it start raining giant, novelty cheques for $1,000,000? Also, some how, yes.
Myers is a PMD..can play in all situations…Tryamkin was nothing but a 3rd pairing D...Both are very tall,and that’s where the comparison ends

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
WAR is not a real stat in hockey. It is literally a fabrication with the intent of duping unsuspecting hockey fans into posting infographics on forums and subscribing to their websites.

I like to subscribe to the idea that people with a favourite team and full time obligations can correctly remember and rate 32 teams worth of players when they can't even properly come to a consensus on their own f***ing players.

Hockey "opinions" are just an attempt by someone to dupe other people into believing the same things they believe

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Serenity now.

WAR is not a real stat in hockey. It is literally a fabrication with the intent of duping unsuspecting hockey fans into posting infographics on forums and subscribing to their websites.

Any publicly available amalgamation metric, trying to isolate a player's impact, is extremely flawed.

Though, not in the case of Tyler Myers. He's probably still a 5-6 at best.

Reactions: Auston Escobar

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
It's not impossible that Dubas called Allvin inquiring about the price on Myers. It's clear that Dubas is willing to look at creative ways to solve areas of need for cheap in terms of assets or cap (e.g. Murray, dumpster diving in FA, etc). But I just don't see a fit here, so I doubt this would happen.

Maybe they see him as a guy that can replace Muzzin physical edge, which admittedly would be odd because he's not known for that.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
Serenity now.

Any publicly available amalgamation metric, trying to isolate a player's impact, is extremely flawed.

Though, not in the case of Tyler Myers. He's probably still a 5-6 at best.
Sure. But I didn't say it was flawed. I said it was fabricated by con men with the express intent of duping unwitting internet folk into website subscriptions and retweets.

Jfresh is a troll.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
tyler myers gets a bad rap. he just requires you to suspend your disbelief. sure he does not look like a hockey player and if you isolate on him you will see endless apparent mistakes, but he is a hockey player and many of the mistakes he makes are not as bad as they seem because he is really tall.

he just has to be assessed like a different species of tall hominid on the ice. sure he's awkward, clumsy, counterintuitive, and prone to random acts of violence both intentional and unintentional. sure a significant part of the time he looks like a beer league dman who started skating in his twenties and then got really serious but has absolutely no idea how to play his position other than trying hard. sure the way he blindly clears pucks late in shifts right to opposing point men when he has time to make a play is endearingly just like a 9 year old soccer kid when half time approaches and they need oranges. lots of oranges. but did you know giraffes eat 75 lbs of food daily and spend the majority of their day just eating? myers would be a way better hockey player i am sure if he could snack during shifts.

for all that, he's still just unavoidably really big and he is therefore really strong with tons of leverage and a big reach and he is more athletic than he seems because even tall athletic people look funny when they skate. he actually skates pretty fast in all directions and many of the things he does wrong still work anyway because of his reach and size. and he can hang in traffic all day long doing who knows what exactly but there he is right in the middle and people around him keep falling over.

and then when you look at his stat line for some reason it is generally better than you remember him playing.

and plus, now and then, he gets into a beast mode for a while that is really effective and you almost like watching him.

so go for it leafs.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Sure. But I didn't say it was flawed. I said it was fabricated by con men with the express intent of duping unwitting internet folk into website subscriptions and retweets. WAR does not exist in hockey. Self evidently so. Someone shouldn't have to come to places like this to explain why.

Jfresh is a troll.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not total grifters. They just have total belief in something that isn't a great product.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
could be a good fit in low minutes. the leaf eater slows down when he plays too much and his IQ drops

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
How would I spell this idea of the Leafs being interested in Tyler Myers... ?

You can take this graphic multiple ways...

I... as Jets fan see it "a" certain way...

hTdiW6.gif

Feb 19, 2018
If the Leafs did and used him this playoff run, they could pay his bonus and sell higher on him in the offseason. He only makes 1 million in total money after July 1st.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
If the Leafs did and used him this playoff run, they could pay his bonus and sell higher on him in the offseason. He only makes 1 million in total money after July 1st.

The cap hit doesn't change. They would still need to attach a decent pick to move him.

EverTheCynic

May 26, 2022
I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they're not total grifters. They just have total belief in something that isn't a great product.
The person who supposedly does these metrics is Jfresh's personal friend. They are snake oil salesmen.

It is self-evidently fabricated. Someone shouldn't have to come onto forums and explain it.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I wouldn't totally discount this rumour. The leafs have odd taste when it comes to defencemen.

They were Ceci defenders. They had interest in Ristolainen. They use Holl in the top 4 as a shutdown guy.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
I'd easily play Justin Holl over him. I'd probably slot Jordie Benn in before him too. Easy pass.

Even if 50% was retained he'd be basically the only salary the Leafs could add. I'm sure that would be perceived as a great deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad